Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Few price questions

Few price questions

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Few price questions

Postby emingygurl » Thu 08.31.2006 7:14 am

I was trying to find the fees for a few colleges I'm planning to go to, and I have no clue if I added wrong or not, but from the fees I added at Temple University's home page, it's $10699.60. I used a converter, so it's probably off some. The thing is, I heard it cost a lot to go to college in Japan, but Grinnell, Cornell, and Washinton University cost more, Grinnell being the cheapest at $36,730. Was I just too tired and completely added wrong, or what? o.o

Also, on japan-guide forums, I read something about a pre-college visa that lets you study Japanese for two years, pass JLPT 1, and go to a Japanese college. Is that true, because I might try that. Well thanks for reading! =P
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

RE: Few price questions

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.31.2006 8:48 am

You have to pay a one-time fee of $4750. Then it's $6,500 PER QUARTER.

That is only for tuition, so you'll need another 1500-2000 per month for living, transportation, and misc expenses.

For one year, you're looking at about $37,500 if you go home for the summer.

Of course it can be cheaper depending on your living arrangements; if you can walk/ride a bike to school, do a homestay or live in a dorm, etc. you can save a bit of money.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby emingygurl » Thu 08.31.2006 4:17 pm

Alright. I need a job. XDD Yeah, a dorm does sound good; I want a roommate. ^_^ Well, thanks for replying!
emingygurl

Postby AJBryant » Thu 08.31.2006 6:33 pm

Do Japanese unis even *have* dorms?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby emingygurl » Thu 08.31.2006 6:44 pm

TUJ does, and it's an American university, it's just in Tokyo. Also, just had a talk with my mom about college and fees and crap, and she's all being Miss Sunshine going, "You have to be realistic!" and goes on and on about the university in my city, which I'd honestly rather shoot myself than go there. So those who went to a University in Japan, at least for a little while, how did you go about getting the money for it?
emingygurl

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.01.2006 12:02 am

I was independently wealthy at the time...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby magma » Fri 09.01.2006 12:05 am

I was independently wealthy at the time...

Care to share the secret of your success? :)
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.01.2006 8:59 am

Take a look at the Books Tony has authored and that will give you an idea... no secret at all.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Fri 09.01.2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Fri 09.01.2006 10:44 am

Unbeknownst to many, Tony is actually the very top point of a very large pyramid scheme. His books are what he sells to the people under him who try to sell them to someone else. Everyone knows they aren't worth anything; the only reason anyone buys one is so they can try to sell it for more to the next sucker (who in turn buys it thinking he can sell it for more to the next sucker).

But seriously, school in America is great, because it's one of those "even if you don't have money, everyone can go" type of things. School in Japan is vastly different. I hate to show you the harsh realities of the world, but school in Japan is only for the rich or extremely lucky. If you're thinking you can "make it work" with only your part time job and no outside funding, you're only going to experience disappointment.
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.01.2006 11:12 am

Care to share the secret of your success?

No secret. The family had money. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby randomperson » Fri 09.01.2006 11:16 am

i like keatonatron's reason better, but im the same way, all the people in my family are old and have alot of money(which ill probablay get later on in life).
on topic, Like keatonatron said its harder and costs more to go to a japanese school. Unless that TUJ school in tokyo runs like an amercan school does.
Last edited by randomperson on Fri 09.01.2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby ss » Fri 09.01.2006 11:37 am

No secret. The family had money. :)

Papa is very frank. He's born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Money talks ..... B) ;)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby magma » Fri 09.01.2006 1:06 pm

I wonder if there is a positive correlation among gaijin between wealth and Japanese fluency. No matter what country you live in, learning a language that nobody around you speaks isn't going to be easy (or cheap). Textbooks, dictionaries, audio CDs, tuition, tutor fees, plane tickets to Japan... it all adds up! The poor are definately at a disadvantage in learning foreign languages, although perhaps the increasing accesibility of the Internet has made cost less of a factor?
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby clay » Fri 09.01.2006 1:12 pm

Outside of the obvious advantage of flying to and staying in Japan, you need motivation much more than money to learn a language.

It is nice to buy 20 Japanese books a month, but if you don't use them, they are worthless.

A motivated person with enough money to buy a single textbook and internet access has a lot.
clay
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.01.2006 1:30 pm

randomperson wrote:
i like keatonatron's reason better, but im the same way, all the people in my family are old and have alot of money(which ill probablay get later on in life).
on topic, Like keatonatron said its harder and costs more to go to a japanese school. Unless that TUJ school in tokyo runs like an amercan school does.

I like gas to be 99 cents a gallon again.. but that isn't likely to happen.. as funny as keatonatron's answer was..
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan