Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Few price questions

Few price questions

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Few price questions

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.01.2006 2:13 pm

Papa is very frank. He's born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Money talks .....

Yeah, but it really tarnished after a year of living in Japan with no appreciable income and doing the expensive Japanese apartment and living thing.

I'm lucky to find a pewter spoon, these days. Usually have to make do with plastic. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby emingygurl » Fri 09.01.2006 2:51 pm

Well, it's not a Japanese school. Temple just has a campus in Tokyo, which is TUJ. o.O Scholarships, financial aid, etc.
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.01.2006 4:30 pm

speaking of finances.. the generalities of expenses are like comparing yale to a community college or comparing M.I.T. to any vocational technical school. There are certainly alternatives and you pick the best you can for what you want.. The problem lies when you think you know everything about something and realize you know nothing about anything.. The bill comes due and there you sit going to school to keep the loans "deferred"

good luck to you in your endeavor at Temple , although why you don't just take advantage of the courses in the US, i don't know..
two_heads_talking

Postby emingygurl » Fri 09.01.2006 4:39 pm

Because I plan to live in Japan for a few years after college, so why not go to TUJ and immerse myself in the culture and language while looking at apartments and such?
emingygurl

Postby Shibakoen » Fri 09.01.2006 8:40 pm

emingygurl wrote:
Because I plan to live in Japan for a few years after college, so why not go to TUJ and immerse myself in the culture and language while looking at apartments and such?

IF you plan on doing that, avoid gaijin like the plague unless they are also willing to speak in Japanese only. Immersion works if you really do more outside of class to learn the language than inside the class.
Shibakoen

Postby emingygurl » Fri 09.01.2006 8:50 pm

Yeah, I heard about that as well, staying away from other gaijin that will talk in English. I'm teaching myself Japanese right now, so I won't arrive in Japan completely uneducated in the language. =P Plus I heard there aren't that many gaijin there, not as many as I thought there'd be, anyway.
emingygurl

Postby Shibakoen » Fri 09.01.2006 8:54 pm

Believe me. There are enough in Tokyo to tempt you into speaking English. Especially if you're going to an American school like Temple. Everyone will speak English. And you have to make your Japanese friends speak Japanese. That's another difficult thing, especially when you're just starting to learn the language. All my Japanese friends spoke pretty good English so my Japanese didn't improve much. Now I can see why someone can come to the States from another country, live here for 50 years, and never learn English.

Oh, and avoid Roppongi.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Fri 09.01.2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby CuriousDrew » Fri 09.01.2006 8:54 pm

Personally I could never afford that sort of thing. Even when it comes to text books I have just printed out Tea Kim's Guide and spiral bound it (lent the spiral binder :)).
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
CuriousDrew

Postby emingygurl » Fri 09.01.2006 9:28 pm

Thanks for the advice, but what's Roppongi? Yeah, I can't afford it either, which is what this whole topic is about, but I'm trying to save up. Either that or go to a college here for a year or so and transfer. Or if they don't have a campus in Japan, I'll move there right after I graduate from college. Either way, I'm going to Japan, damn it. XD
emingygurl

Postby keatonatron » Fri 09.01.2006 10:29 pm

Have you thought about what line of work you will persue in Japan?
keatonatron

Postby emingygurl » Fri 09.01.2006 10:45 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the oh-so-original English teacher. XD I plan to look at other options, of course.
emingygurl

Postby DeathOfSoul » Mon 09.04.2006 11:59 pm

Wow, another one ^^ I'm aiming for Temple University as well... I'm going to apply after I take my SATs (which will hopefully be next month). The tuition, in total, is pretty pricey, but it's cheaper than the college I'd be going to here :D (Plus I hope to get a scholarship or two+Financial Aid)
J-rock = アイ <3
DeathOfSoul

Postby emingygurl » Wed 09.06.2006 4:21 pm

Yeah, I'm planning on taking SATs my senior year. I'm taking pre-SATs this year; next month =3 I'm hoping to get a scholarship as well as financial aid, since it does seem extremely pricey. XD
emingygurl

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.06.2006 5:02 pm

here is an easy way to speak japanese all the time.. tell your friends you are going to do it and stick to it.. tell your japanese friends that you would like to progress your japanese as well, work it out so you speak to each other in one language every other time you get together.. english one day, japanese the other.. that way you both benefit..

as a missionary some of my companions were japanese and some were American.. but in all cases we did our best to speak japanese everyday, all day.. when i returned to the states, it took me almost 2 years to readjust because i spoke japanese so much.. in fact as i look back, i think my english has suffered because of it.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 09.06.2006 7:31 pm

Talking,
In another post, you talked about your army days, and here you mentioned your missionary days... For exactly what reason did you go to Japan in the first place?
keatonatron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan