Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - In Pictures: Japan's Homeless

In Pictures: Japan's Homeless

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: In Pictures: Japan's Homeless

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.18.2006 9:26 am

i won't give money, but i will invite them to have lunch with me.. normally they pass and say no.. oh well, a hamburger or drink is just as good as money to me..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Namakielin » Tue 07.18.2006 10:14 am

何 の 寿司 が 好き です か
ええと . . . チョコロテ が 好き。
え?! チョコロテ???
はい!

i was watching this show on pbs a few weeks ago on japan and they showed how hard it is for the homeless to live in japan. i felt bad.
Namakielin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.18.2006 11:37 am

MrTuesday wrote:
I remember speaking to one guy who said every summer he went to cali by hitching rides with people and begging. He claimed to make around $300 a day, and said he was doing them a favor. He made them feel better about themselves, made them think they were good people by giving him money...

Ugh...

everyone rationalizes bad behavior, it's the only way to make themselves feel good about taking advantage of others.. i don't feel good for giving money. i feel good when i have done something good.. thus why i would bring someone home, let them help with dinner and let them help clean up.. we do it all as a family and they do too, otherwise they can sit their lily white backside on the pavement and beg..
two_heads_talking

Postby Dimitree » Mon 07.24.2006 9:44 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
homelessness is an odd thing. i wouldn't wish it upon a family, or children... but otherwise, it's quite an experience. was homeless for about 2 years. a sequence of events came about and the options available were: work a **** job for months trying to make ends meet and save up enough to get on with life, or just walk out the door. since i had done the first before, i chose the second. i shaved my head, stuffed some clothes in a backpack and headed out the door. i spent two years sleeping in abandoned buildings, parks, under freeway bridges and the like. met lots of interesting people, disenfranchised, junkies, crazies, carnies, killers... i became adept at panhandling and snap judgement of people....

i finally saw Tokyo Godfathers a few weeks ago and it brought back such interesting memories of that time. (no missing babies or anything like that :) ) but of the community that there is in homelessness...

anyways...

Amazing :D and wonderful ! :)

When i was in France i had the same thing happen to me :)
Altho it was for a few days i got the idea of what it is to be with all your bags on the street and have nothing to eat or money to buy something :)
Now don't say that a couple of days is nothing ;)
It's just enough to make you feel that special way in such situations :) and the memmory last forever :)

I don't agree with most of you guys that don't help homeless people when you can becaouse that speaks bad for your personality :)
If you don't help a man or a woman that's obviusly STARVING infront of your very eyes how will you help your partner in life or colegues ?
:)
If i was a manager in a company the first thing i would do when making interview with future team mates will be to take them on the streets and see if they help someone.
:)
"Saving your a**" means getting NO help when you need it :) becaouse the other people will be "Saving there a**es" just like you :P

Ah well i hope that no one has to go through this to understand such things :P
Last edited by Dimitree on Mon 07.24.2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitree

Postby KINGZ » Mon 07.24.2006 10:08 pm

When I was living out side of DC in FairFax VA, I would go to DC and see homeless ppl there everywhere. Once in a wile I would offer one a pack of crackers or something from my lunch box. (I was young i.e. 13 or 14 I think) a few times the ppl would turn the food down. I started watching one of them who turn the food down, He would dump his coffee can full of money into his backpack about every 30min or so, about 6 or 7 times in the 3 hours he was there. I was counting how many ppl put money in his can. It was around 15 to 40 ppl every half hour. Most of them would put in some change, some would put in ones or fives, and once in a wile someone would put in a 10 or 20. From what I could see about 15 feet away on the steps. My best guess he was making about $50 to $85 an hour. Well after about 3 hours he got up walked about a block from the Smith. And got on a nice Motorcycle. That bastard. I’m not saying they are all like that but there are a small handfull jerks like that.:(
Last edited by KINGZ on Mon 07.24.2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 09.02.2006 2:58 am

^ that's why you only give them food or whatever you feel they need more .. giving them money is like helping them die if they're high drug addicts and go to dealers and buy drugs from the money YOU helped them accumulate. However, i give them money like loose change anyways cause 'if it's helping them live longer, then let them be happy' is how i look at it.. if you're skeptical about how they really are, then just give them food to be safe. I really hate being fooled! :@
TrilinguisT

Postby keatonatron » Sat 09.02.2006 10:01 am

TrilinguisT wrote:
if you're skeptical about how they really are, then just give them food to be safe. I really hate being fooled! :@

There have been a few news reports in the states about people who go stand out by the freeway onramps with cardboard signs that say they are homeless and ask people to donate spare change. They actually aren't homeless or disabled, they simply don't feel like working. Some of them can make as much as $500 a day off of handouts! That's the kind of person I DEFINATELY don't want to give money to.
keatonatron

Postby john2 » Sat 09.02.2006 10:34 am

keatonatron wrote:
TrilinguisT wrote:
if you're skeptical about how they really are, then just give them food to be safe. I really hate being fooled! :@

There have been a few news reports in the states about people who go stand out by the freeway onramps with cardboard signs that say they are homeless and ask people to donate spare change. They actually aren't homeless or disabled, they simply don't feel like working. Some of them can make as much as $500 a day off of handouts! That's the kind of person I DEFINATELY don't want to give money to.

#_# hey isent that soposed to be illigal---
<_< as always the police always paying atneiton to the minor crimes and strange acts while never paying atention to what is actually imoral and a major crime how typical
john2

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 09.03.2006 10:27 pm

It just irks me when panhandlers come into a restaurant and start asking customers for money. There was one guy last week who came in and a friend of mine offered to buy him a sandwich or something from the restaurant and once he had the money he was like "thank you but I don't want to get food here, I want to go to the place up the street." I'd never even heard of anyone coming into a business to panhandle until I came back from Japan and it happened to me 3 times in one week. Now it happens like every time I go to Starbucks here. :@
Shibakoen

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 09.04.2006 12:13 am

Has anyone here been to India? It's amazing how many levels of homelessness there are there... My mom had gone one time, and she gave five rupees to a beggar on the street. You know what he did? He turned it down and said that it wouldn't even buy a cup of tea! None of the beggars in India are in need, only the homeless and destitute... There a beggars who have bank accounts and give money loans. Begging is pretty much a profession, and what with the huge gap between upper and lower class, it's settling into a sort of rythm.

I just went there this summer, and it made me feel so absolutely horrible to see an old man, 80+ years old, begging for money outside of a fancy Chinese restaurant. But, I had to force myself not to give him anything. It's interesting... The people who really need the help are too tired to ask for it, and the ones who don't need the help ask for it anyway. It's odd, though... there's a new kind of homeless. It's these youngish guys, like in their early twenties, who wear mildly expensive clothes and walk around selling little trinkets and stuff. They basically look like rich kids [seriously] but they are homeless... You see them sleeping on the side of the road when they aren't selling stuff. They buy good clothes so as to not look as bad, but don't have anything but those clothes to their name.

Knock on wood, I hope never to be homeless or destitute!
Last edited by Tspoonami on Mon 09.04.2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan