Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Handwriting Thread

Kanji Handwriting Thread

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby Milmi » Sat 09.02.2006 5:43 am

Infidel wrote:
A good tip to almost every one who posted their writing: use cross-ruled paper and write one character in each square. Then you have to make all the letters the same size. There was someone who wrote his/her kanji three times bigger than kana (I can't remember who it was) and that a) looks really weird b) is incorrect.
The problem with cross ruled paper in the US is it is way....too.....small.
That's weird. The biggest squares in cross-ruled papers here in Finland are like 10 mm x 10 mm... And they are alreydy really big. I usually recommend beginner's to use this kind of paper so that they can write big characters easily. Notebooks are usually cross-ruled with 7 mm x 7 mm squares, so that's quite good paper for other writers.

Maybe I should post my handwriting, too, before I start to comment on other people's writing.

[img=http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1853/tekstiaqf6.th.png]
Kanjikaveri - Finnish site about Japan and Japanese
Milmi

Postby Infidel » Sat 09.02.2006 6:04 am

Heh, I was going to post mine today too, but I left my camera at home. It's not as if mine is super great, but I'm also not really criticizing as offering one suggestion that will have create the biggest improvement in
someone's writing.

Finland are like 10 mm x 10 mm.

I'd love 10mm squares, I think that is about the size of the special paper college students have to write their papers for assignments. The thing is, the really complex kanji are extremely difficult to write well in cramped squares. Writing in a 5mm Square is nearly impossible unless using a very fine pen. I'm using a .38 tip pen and 7mm is the smallest I'm willing to go unless I can find an even finer tip.

Ruled paper here is either 1mm or 4.5mm. Way too small.

The main thing I notice about your sample is the many of the characters are trying to outgrow the boxes. I know writing inside the box and keeping it looking good are difficult to do, but a very fine tip goes a long way to solving that problem. If you have a fine tip you can draw the lines small enough so that not only will the characters fit in the box, but you can write without touching the edges of the box. If you can, get the .18 Signo's that are available off the internet.

So for you, buying a much finer pen will make the biggest difference. Trust me, writing kanji like 観 and 曜 is much easier with a fine pen. Especially if you want it to look good and not have he kanji touch the frame.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 09.02.2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Sat 09.02.2006 6:27 am

Thanks Infidel, I'll think about that... I'll write in-between the lines instead of through them the next time :P

Oh and I also noticed that I wrote ちおっと instead of ちょっと :@
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby richvh » Sat 09.02.2006 9:24 am

Kanji-Step has printable practice sheets for kana and kanji, including blank sheets
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 09.02.2006 9:46 am

Infidel wrote:So for you, buying a much finer pen will make the biggest difference.

Finest pens ever. The smallest tip is 0.20mm, and .5 is the largest... Lol. I have pens 01, 03, and 05. You should be able to get these at any art store that's worth it's weight in beans and dried fruit.

edit: links fixed
Last edited by Tspoonami on Sat 09.02.2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

RE: RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby Sonia » Sat 09.02.2006 10:44 am

Infidel wrote:
Writing in a 5mm Square is nearly impossible unless using a very fine pen.

So what is waiting for me is a nearly impossible task...coz in Poland we have 5mm Squares... what would be the most accurate pen? ...please tell me ;P so that i will be able to start practising :P
Sonia

Postby Sonia » Sat 09.02.2006 11:22 am

it's me again :) i've just written those sentences again...with pencil...in squares...and name in katakana (as i pronounce it)... please tell me if it's now all correct?
Sonia

Postby randomperson » Sat 09.02.2006 11:34 am

you should put the 私,は、and に  in one box instead of two.
randomperson

Postby Infidel » Sat 09.02.2006 1:20 pm

Tspoonami wrote:
Infidel wrote:So for you, buying a much finer pen will make the biggest difference.

Finest pens ever. The smallest tip is 0.20mm, and .5 is the largest... Lol. I have pens [url="http://www.gellyroll.com/products/pens/pigmamicron/micronchart.html"]01, 03, and 05[/url]. You should be able to get these at any art store that's worth it's weight in beans and dried fruit.

Ok, first your link doesn't work. It sends me to the w3.org. The link in mine should be fine.

Second, I really get annoyed with companies that brag about being the most, especially when it's untrue.. Like I said, You can get .18 Gel Signos if you order direct from Japan. Which is smaller than .2...

That said, maybe the ink doesn't feather? I definitely prefer gel for writing fine lines, gel doesn't feather into the paper. The one problem I've had with every micro point pen is the same as the problem I'm having with my current pen. It works great until I try to use it over something I white out. Then it starts stuttering... :( edit - So I'm certianly willing to give it a try if I see it at an art shop next time I go by.

Edit. Zen san. There seems to be a problem with linking. His original link had http:// but the url link auto inserted another http:// so the url read http://http:// that's why I got shunted to w3.org's how to enter a url page.
So what is waiting for me is a nearly impossible task...coz in Poland we have 5mm Squares... what would be the most accurate pen? ...please tell me ;P so that i will be able to start practising

If you only have the 5mm ones like we do, then Just use 4 boxes at a time. It will really pay off later when you do start writing smaller, because it gets you in the habit of dividing up the character space into 4 parts. Ultimately, the smallest readable size of your writing is determined by the size of your pen. So if you find yourself cramped, then either write in bigger squares, or get a smaller pen. :)

Really, getting a really fine pen isn't necessary, it's just a boon to writing small well. You can write just fine with a 1.0 pen, or even a big ol' piece of chalk. You just need to write bigger is all. You don't need special materials.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 09.02.2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 09.02.2006 2:40 pm

Infidel wrote:That said, maybe the ink doesn't feather? I definitely prefer gel for writing fine lines, gel doesn't feather into the paper. The one problem I've had with every micro point pen is the same as the problem I'm having with my current pen. It works great until I try to use it over something I white out. Then it starts stuttering... :( edit - So I'm certianly willing to give it a try if I see it at an art shop next time I go by.

I don't use whiteout, since I always scan stuff into Photoshop and just use the eraser to correct mistakes... So I can't help there. But, I can say that these pens don't feather much, event hough they have brush tips. It really depends on the paper, though. The pens themselves are great because you can control line width very easily compared to most gel pens. I like these for inking really fine lines, etc. Do check them out! :D

No, I am not a sales associate... lol ^3^

I have to figure out something to write before I can actually write it... I am totally blank for ideas, but I really want to try writing Kanji with my brush pen...

=_=
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Infidel » Sat 09.02.2006 11:43 pm

I have to figure out something to write before I can actually write it... I am totally blank for ideas, but I really want to try writing Kanji with my brush pen...

Heh, I'm just going to post my practice sheet; no special messages or anything this time, maybe later.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 09.03.2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Sun 09.03.2006 12:54 pm

Kanji-Step has printable practice sheets for kana and kanji, including blank sheets

That sort of sheet should only be used for repetitive writing practice. IT's not intended for "meaningful" writing practice. For that, you need spaced boxes -- rows of boxes that have a space between them (either vertically or horizontally) to make clear where the lines of text are.

Quoting from another thread, where I wrote:

In fact, you might want to print this out: http://www.edu-game.com/contents/common ... _black.pdf
It's a sheet of genko yoshi (paper for writing mss and essays). Note the spaces between rows of boxes -- that's so it's obvious which way the text flows.

Forgot to mention how to USE genko yoshi. When starting a paragraph, leave one square blank (that's for the "tab" spacing in typing). See http://www.mori7.net/gennkou.php for "how to use genko yoshi."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby aKuMu » Sun 09.03.2006 1:06 pm

The link to the PDF is not working..
Last edited by aKuMu on Sun 09.03.2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby richvh » Sun 09.03.2006 4:40 pm

Here is one that works.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Sunken » Sun 09.03.2006 5:24 pm

Gee, this is a nice thread. Constructive criticism seems so uncommon on the Net otherwise...
Sadly, I very much doubt if there's anything that could be done about my absolutely vile handwriting - in any language, even my native Swedish. So I'm not going to sear your eyes with its caustic horror. ;)
Sunken

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)