Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Fact!

Fact!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Fact!

Postby paul_b » Mon 09.11.2006 5:33 am

I'm just going to moan a bit about one of my pet peeves. People who use "Fact" when what they are saying is debatable or just an opinion, particularly in advertising.

My breakfast cereal says

"Fact! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"

Sure, you hear people say that but has anybody actually done a comparative study on the effect on health of missing each different meal?

It didn't help my mood that the breakfast cereal in question is one of those very sweet ones aimed at children. (OK, it was half price ^ ^; ) I think it should really have said ...

"Fact! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! So why are you letting your children eat this fattening crap?"
paul_b

RE: Fact!

Postby keatonatron » Mon 09.11.2006 5:42 am

Agreed.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.11.2006 6:14 am

I also get advertisments where they say, "This is the only place to get......" or "Our product is the most......"

I've rarely found either to be correct. Being an american, I can't help but wonder if there is a lawsuit in there somewhere....
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby adam » Mon 09.11.2006 7:40 am

Usually it's just an annoying, unwarranted catchphrase but in this case there have been many studies that show that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
adam

Postby paul_b » Mon 09.11.2006 7:41 am

adam wrote:
Usually it's just an annoying, unwarranted catchphrase but in this case there have been many studies that show that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Then no doubt you will be able to name a specific study that specifically says that.
paul_b

Postby keatonatron » Mon 09.11.2006 7:54 am

It makes sense: when is your body most starved for nutrition and read to absorb whatever you throw at it? Probably in the morning, after you've slept for 8 hours and haven't had anything to eat for 12 or so.

I don't think breakfast is the most important in terms of a meal you have to eat, I think it's the most important in terms of making sure you eat healthy things (your cereal box leaves that part out ;) )

"That depends on your definition of 'important'..."
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Mon 09.11.2006 9:11 am

I remember my sweet cerial (usually Apple Jacks or Cap'n Crunch) with "A part of your healthy breakfast" -- and a picture of bacon, eggs, pancakes, toast, and cereal. Like *anyone* who has someone making bacon and eggs is going to eat CEREAL? (too?)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Chris Hart » Mon 09.11.2006 9:26 am

AJBryant wrote:
I remember my sweet cerial (usually Apple Jacks or Cap'n Crunch) with "A part of your healthy breakfast" -- and a picture of bacon, eggs, pancakes, toast, and cereal. Like *anyone* who has someone making bacon and eggs is going to eat CEREAL? (too?)

Tony

Sounds like a complete array of American breakfasts. Only thing missing is doughnuts.
Chris Hart

Postby clay » Mon 09.11.2006 9:40 am

Sounds like a complete array of American breakfasts. Only thing missing is doughnuts.

It's funny, I had many more doughnuts in Japan than I eat here in Florida. I would go to MisDo (Mister Donuts), get the bottomless cup of コーヒー and of course donuts!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Mariya » Mon 09.11.2006 10:05 am

In my view, it's just business. Pure business tactics. I mean, if your selling a breakfast cereal you gotta put something attractive on your product, right? Most businesses don't actually care about fact, but more on exaggerating how wonderful and exclusive their products are.
Mariya

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 09.11.2006 10:28 am

paul_b wrote:
adam wrote:

Then no doubt you will be able to name a specific study that specifically says that.

http://tinyurl.com/eak8j
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby requemao » Mon 09.11.2006 1:25 pm

hyperconjugated wrote:
paul_b wrote:
adam wrote:

Also this one:
http://tinyurl.com/ztz33

Edited to make clickable link - RVH
Last edited by requemao on Mon 09.11.2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby paul_b » Mon 09.11.2006 1:32 pm

requemao wrote:
hyperconjugated wrote:
paul_b wrote:

Also this one:
http://tinyurl.com/ztz33

Neither of which compares breakfast skipping with any-other-meal skipping and thus they don't provide evidence as to breakfast being the most important.
paul_b

Postby richvh » Mon 09.11.2006 1:32 pm

You might want to check out [wiki]How to Link[/wiki], requemao.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 09.11.2006 2:31 pm

Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. Were it not for boxes of breakfast cereal, a great many people would go through the day without reading anything at all.
Mike Cash

Next

Return to General off topic