Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - survey on how much manga otakus collect

survey on how much manga otakus collect

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: survey on how much manga otakus collect

Postby Hatori » Sun 08.13.2006 6:18 pm

that's cool. i have like LOTS of japanese books. but i didn't count them... so yeah. i have a lot more books when you think about it.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 08.25.2006 8:25 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Does... anyone realize that in Japanese being an otaku is a bad thing? Has that word been adopted into English as a good thing by anime fans? I'm just curious, because I really don't know.
I believe the anime fans adopted it not knowing it's rep/meaning. Sounds usual, no?
I remember when I first started using a penpal..........thingie. I heard this several times "I like anime, but I'm not otaku"
There were caps, but i didn't want to overdue it >_< :p
chiisu321

Postby DeathOfSoul » Tue 09.05.2006 12:06 am

I don't like being called an otaku anymore... but I have:

Manga: 39

Mag.: 12

Movies: 35

I'm going to be selling most of it sometime between now and next May. (I have it all set up in a selling journal on LJ, but I haven't opened it yet)
J-rock = アイ <3
DeathOfSoul

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.05.2006 2:59 am

Everyone knows that real otaku sell their manga as soon as they finish them. There's no room in Japanese houses/apartments to keep that many books around. ;)

As for otaku being a bad word, in general it is, but depending on your circles, it can be just as normal as saying "I'm a nerd." I would never say that to someone when I first met them, but to my close friends (especially my dork friends) we sheepishly refer to ourselves as otaku. Now that I think about it, it's pretty much like any insult. You would use it in your in-group, but you would be offended if someone outside your group called you that.

And as for the book thing, I think I've had a grand total of some 400 manga pass through, as well as about 30 novels and 10-20 textbooks. I think I own a grand total of 5 English books. :(
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kaze89 » Fri 09.08.2006 5:24 pm

I don't know exactly how many manga I own. It's not like I actually go and count them every other day. I'd guess I've got around 100 manga at the moment. I've also got all issues minus three of the BANZAI!. That's a German manga magazine that's somewhat like shounen jump (monthly new chapters of some manga series like Naruto, Shaman King and so on)

Anime....I don't own any, they're too expensieve for my liking.

If someone non-japanese would call me an otaku, I wouldn't be immediately offended, simply because most people really don't know it's supposed to be offending.
kaze89

Native language: German

Postby kinkachou » Fri 09.08.2006 5:42 pm

I hadn't really counted either, but I have around 100 manga in Japanese on my bookshelf, and around 40 anime dvds that were store bought. I have countless burned CDs with anime on them.

I say it's time for Japanese otaku to come out of the otaku closet and accept the term. It seems like that's what has happened with people outside of Japan to some extent. I wouldn't really call myself an otaku, though I think I have a lot of otaku habits. Besides, I've always felt that American otaku have to be more obsessed, just because they have to go out of their way to collect anime figures and read manga. Japanese people don't have to learn an entirely different language to be a true otaku after all. ;)
kinkachou

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.12.2006 12:23 am

I say it's time for Japanese otaku to come out of the otaku closet and accept the term.

Is this based on anything? Do you know any Japanese otaku, or are you just making some wierd generalization? Do you think that otaku do not call themselves such?
Harisenbon

Postby datdo » Tue 09.12.2006 12:37 am

if I remember right....otaku doesn't just apply to anime. it can be applied to any ...*obsession* So trekkies are also otaku and by trekkies I mean the ones that build replicas and learn the languages(they're not real to omoimasu). Also the kid genius whos spending his life trying to move objects using light(photons)...(aaaaaaaa u graduate from college at like age 9 to do that?!)

note: I use ** when there is a inappropriate word that i'd like to use in its place
datdo

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.12.2006 1:06 am

From the wiki

The word otaku is derived from an honorific Japanese term for another's house or family (お宅, otaku) that is also used as an honorific second-person pronoun (roughly equivalent to usted in Spanish). The modern slang form, which is distinguished from the older usage by being written only in hiragana (おたく) or katakana (オタク), appeared in the 1980s. It appears to have been coined by the humorist and essayist Akio Nakamori in his 1983 series An Investigation of Otaku (おたくの研究, Otaku no Kenkyū?), who observed that this form of address was unusually common among geeks and nerds. It entered general use in Japan around 1989, and may have been popularized by Nakamori's publication in that year of The Age of M (Mの時代, M no Jidai?).

I had also heard mention that the term was first used in the amateur photgraphy community to refer to people who were really knowledgeable about cameras, but I can't find a reference on that right now.
Harisenbon

Postby kinkachou » Tue 09.12.2006 1:40 am

Is this based on anything? Do you know any Japanese otaku, or are you just making some wierd generalization? Do you think that otaku do not call themselves such?

In my admittedly very little experience Japanese people seem to be less likely to admit to being an otaku than most of the American nerds I know would be likely to admit to being a nerd. Though 'nerd' implies intelligence while 'otaku' usually seems to come across as just plain obsession. I don't doubt that there are otaku who call themselves otaku in Japan. Anyway, please excuse my sweeping generalization about the Japanese people, I'll try to avoid that in the future.
kinkachou

Postby AJBryant » Tue 09.12.2006 8:40 am

Nope. It was originally an SF thing. In the late 60s, the series "Man From Uncle" was rather popular in Japan. The character of Ilya Kuryakin, who was rather aloof, always referred to Napoleon Solo as "otaku" instead of using his name.

(For those who don't know, "otaku" was the polite shopkeeeper way to address someone, referring to "[your] honorable house." It shows detachment and a large degree polite distance.)

Fans thought that was "cool"-- and started to address each other as "otaku" like Ilya did.

From there, "otaku" became a way to refer to people in the fringes of SF and comic fandom, and soon it became a general noun for the weirderst (i.e., the most "un-connected") of them all.

When I was with the Mainichi, I pubbed an interview with the king of otaku -- a guy who pretty much popularized the term for comic geeks and wrote a few books on it. I can't recall his name now, but I *think* it was the same as the hero in "The Eight Man" -- his favorite manga from his kidhood.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions