Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Germany is to Israel as Japan is to China??

Germany is to Israel as Japan is to China??

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Germany is to Israel as Japan is to China??

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 09.19.2006 6:55 am

BrianM wrote:

The reason i mentioned Germany and Isreal is because my Chinese co-worker said that their relationship is the same as the Chinese and Japanese.

You mean the gross misbehavior of the Chinese led to the birth of the modern nation of Japan? That's interesting....
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 09.19.2006 6:57 am

chikara wrote:
What has Najing got to do with Germany invading Israel?

Germany invaded Israel? There's a chapter in my history book I must have skipped.
Mike Cash

Postby Ezrach » Tue 09.19.2006 8:18 am

I think he meant Germany and the Jews. Israel was founded after World War II as a result of the war and the influx of Jews fleeing Europe. Germany is embarassed enough as it is right now, Israel, as far as I know, isn't holding the sins of the fathers over the sons.

There's a difference between trying to commit genocide, and commiting war crimes. The Japanese are not innocent and blemish free - they did some uncalled for stuff to both Chinese and Koreans. (Nanjing) But they didn't try to exterminate an entire people. (They couldn't even if they tried, being that China is 1/6 of the entire world population)

Your co-worker is either an idiot, or he's over-doing the whole "I hate the other asians!" thing that all the Asian powers do (China hates Korea hates Japan hates China hates Japan hates Korea hates China).

They didn't steal the Chinese language, either. Rather it was put on the Japanese population by buddhist monks, back when China thought of Japan as just another satellite region of the China superpower.
Last edited by Ezrach on Tue 09.19.2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezrach

Postby becks23 » Tue 09.19.2006 8:38 am

chikara wrote:
What has Najing got to do with Germany invading Israel Image

Edit: The Second Sino-Japanese war is included in WWII so we are talking about the same thing.

Germany couldn't invade Israel because the country never existed until after WW2. The Jews were spread out throughout Europe with the vast majority in and around Germany. Jews were shipped from all over Nazi Germany's territories(practically all of Europe) to be put to death in camps set up in Germany and Poland. Simply put; Germany invaded much of Europe, plucked the population of the Jews, and sent them to their deaths.
Now China, and Korea for that matter, were treated in very similar passions to the Jews in Europe by Germany.

That I believe was the comparion this Chinese co-worker was making.

We more or less have the same understanding Chikara.

Harisenbon wrote:
Just as a side note, my wife was chased by a mob in China about 10 years ago when they found out she was Japanese.

My Mother was criticized for having Japanese friends while she taught in China and was actually pulled away from them while they ate dinner with the person saying "you shouldn't be sitting with such filth"
Last edited by becks23 on Tue 09.19.2006 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby paul_b » Tue 09.19.2006 8:42 am

I don't want to be a killjoy but could people please remember that it is a short slip from historical discussion to political discussion and the latter is against forum policy.

In particular arguments about what was or wasn't a massacre and who's worse than who should be avoided.
Last edited by paul_b on Tue 09.19.2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby becks23 » Tue 09.19.2006 8:55 am

This is a rather sensitive topic and a title such as Germany is to Israel as Japan is to China would garner such responses. For saefty measures I would recommend a lock on this topic then.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby keatonatron » Tue 09.19.2006 10:08 am

Done and done.
keatonatron

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan