Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - site changes I'm not aware of?

site changes I'm not aware of?

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

site changes I'm not aware of?

Postby tanuki » Tue 09.19.2006 8:57 pm

Ahoy!

Today I had the idea of changing my nickname (username?) for a while. "A while" means just a day or so. I knew it was possible because I'd already done it ("tanuki" isn't the name I registered with). So, I went to "edit profile", but, surprise!, it can't be done. Or at least that's what it looks like, because the name is like written in stone and I can't see any way to change it.

Has that changed? Aren't we allowed to change our username now?

-----

Well, that's one thing. I created a new account, but when I logged in with the new account I saw something weird in the shoutbox. I wasn't allowed to shout! I mean, there was no blank box to write, just the shouts of other people were there. I think it was perfectly possible for new members to shout, because I've seen a number of new members introducing themselves there. Has that changed as well, aren't new members allowed to shout now?

The weird thing is that I was able to shout, but that's because I had windows opened with the account "tanuki". I mean, in those windows the blank box was still there. But when I shouted and the page refreshed, the shout appeared (with the new account) and the blank box wasn't there anymore.

I hope you have understood me. Bye!

EDIT: AAAHHHH!!! My avatar isn't working! I'm using the same picture I used before, what's wrong?

Hahaha, nice, "rrr"s are appearing everywhere! :D
Last edited by tanuki on Tue 09.19.2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: site changes I'm not aware of?

Postby Zinzo » Tue 09.19.2006 9:10 pm

My guess would be that the Arrrrthorrr P) above everyone's name is causing it. I also wanted to change my name for Talk Like A Pirate Day, but the stone tablet is unalterable (for now at least ;)).
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
:D
Zinzo

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 09.19.2006 9:11 pm

arrr, that explains't..

that is correct, scallywags can no longer change usernames on a whim. and the shout shouldn't have worked but there was a little bug (now fixed P), just a corner-case in the many things possible that hadn't been taken into account.
zengargoyle

Postby Zinzo » Tue 09.19.2006 9:16 pm

So must I contact ye and other Adminastrrrrators to change me name? If so, that be a hassle says I.
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
:D
Zinzo

Postby clay » Tue 09.19.2006 10:08 pm

Aye, 'tis a hassle. But alas we've seen many a member try to take this site to Davy Jones's locker. We can have none of that, says I.

(because of some spam abuse and people changing names to try to fool people into thinking they aren't the original offenders)
clay
Site Admin

Return to Problems