Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Vowels and tother translation

Vowels and tother translation

Do you have a translation question?

Vowels and tother translation

Postby jChester » Thu 06.16.2005 11:51 pm

In Japanese, do two vowels combine to make one sound? For example, in english, 'house' is pronounced by combining the o and the u to make on unique sound.

Also, In japanese, how do you distinguish between words like 'no' (i-i-e) and 'house'(i-e).
Sorry for the Romaji, I need to learn how to type Japanese characters soon!

Thanks,
J. Chesss
jChester

RE: Vowels and tother translation

Postby Wolfie » Fri 06.17.2005 12:09 am

No, vowels keep their sounds no matter what.

Aoi would be pronounced: ah-oh-ee
Iie would be pronounced: ee-ay.
Kaeru would be: kah-eh-ru
Kao: Kah-oh.

and so on...though some just slur together like "ai" ...which sounds like I. o.O;
Wolfie

Postby Spaztick » Fri 06.17.2005 11:56 am

Those slurred together vowels are called dipthongs, and they're usually with two vowels together in Japanese (like kai is pronounced as one sylable, instead of ka-i).
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby InsanityRanch » Fri 06.17.2005 2:45 pm

Hi, J!

You've hit on an important point, actually. In Japanese, "long" vowels (as in iie, no) really are long -- they are held approximately twice as long as short vowels (as in ie, house). Since the duration of the vowel is important to convey meaning, it's an important distinction to make, but not a really natural one for us. In general we tend to "lump together" several vowel sounds into single units -- for instance, we find it natural to think that "house" is a single syllable, but Japanese people do not easily perceive it that way!

I remember reading that linguists had conducted experiments and Japanese people hear the difference in duration more clearly than English speakers. I know I frequently ask this sort of question of my teacher when I am looking up a new word she has used in conversation. "Does it end with ko or kou?" for instance.

For practical purposes, if you treat Japanese vowels as "pure" vowels and give each one you see equal length, you will be close enough to be understood. And be careful to memorize what look like extra vowels: obaasan is NOT the same as obasan!

And oh, yeah... definitely learn the kana right away. Japanese is a syllabic language, and you need to start perceiving it as syllables rather than single phonemes!

Good luck!

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby mandolin » Wed 06.22.2005 1:25 am

Spaztick wrote:
Those slurred together vowels are called dipthongs, and they're usually with two vowels together in Japanese (like kai is pronounced as one sylable, instead of ka-i).

I disagree with you here, Spaztick. It's definately two syllables. In english, we may dipthong the letters, but in japanese, the word 'kai' would have two morae, which is more or less equivalent to two syllables, as each morae is the same length.

The english way of elongating vowels naturally tends to muddy this, and I think the guy who posted after you already has good reasons why, so I won't repeat.

I just tend to err on the side of caution and I probably say japanese words 10x longer than they're normally spoken to make sure I have all the morae correct. :D
mandolin

Postby amiyumi » Wed 06.22.2005 5:03 am

so will you ever learn english fluently unless you have lived there or had sevral holidays
amiyumi

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion