November 17, 2020

一目惚 Love at First Sight

一目(ひとめ)ぼれ

love at first sight

一目惚
hito me bore
Love at first sight

一目 hito me means glance [lit. one eye]
惚 (bore or actually hore before the phonetic change) has something to do with forgetfulness or not having it all there.

惚け boke - out of it; not too bright in the head [needless to say this isn't too polite] [I]
寝惚ける ne bo keru - to be half asleep [I]
時差ぼけ ji sa boke - jet lag [I]

Talk about bad breath...

SUGGESTED USAGE:

ある()ゴジラは東京(とうきょう)破壊中(はかいちゅう)にキティに一目(ひとめ)ぼれしちゃった。

aru hi gojira wa toukyou wo hakai chuu ni kiti ni hitomebore shichatta.
One day while destroying Tokyo, Godzilla saw Hello Kitty and it was love at first sight!

ABOUT SUGGESTED USAGE:

• ある日 aru hi - one day [used just like in English; usually in stories]
  • ゴジラ gojira - Godzilla [The Japanese gojira comes from gorira (gorilla) and kujira (whale)]
  • 東京 toukyou - Tokyo
  • 破壊中 ha kai chuu - in the midst of destruction [USEFUL: Use 中 chuu to show something is not finished: example 食事中 shokuji chuu - while eating]
  • キティ kiti - Hello Kitty [In Japanese Hello Kitty is usually キティちゃん kiti-chan ]
  • しちゃった shichatta - [the shi part is from suru; chatta is an ending that shows the finishing]

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>