Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Thinking in Japanese.

Thinking in Japanese.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Thinking in Japanese.

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.26.2006 2:45 pm

Thinking in Japanese is nothing you can really control. One day it will happen and you won't even realize it until later. Until then, just keep trying and expanding your vocabulary and grammar and soon enough, you too will be thinking and dreaming in Japanese.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Tspoonami » Tue 09.26.2006 9:56 pm

I wonder how people came up with all of the extra words in language... All the words that can't possibly be imagined in your head out of context. Such as 'that,' 'be,' 'do,' etc. I find it mindboggling that humans have surrounded ourselves with such complex languages... Wouldn't it be so much easier if everyone used a system with no extra words? But alas, the human mind is too creative to be simple and easy. Hmm.

My problem with Japanese is that I don't expose myself to anything but text... I really ought to watch more videos! I start watching something, and can only pick out one or two words per sentence [if I'm lucky], and so I get frustrated... Grr! I need to stick to it! I am weak.

:(

... I often find myself thinking of myself as 'watashi,' and thinking thoughts like 'watashi wa pencil ga aru,' to use a spontaneous example... It happens very often in Spanish class, where I end up 'thinking' in Japanese, but replacing unknown words with Spanish and English ones. And, I use particles while 'thinking' in Spanish... It's wierd.
Last edited by Tspoonami on Tue 09.26.2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 09.27.2006 12:12 am

Tspoonami wrote:
Wouldn't it be so much easier if everyone used a system with no extra words?

AH! Read the book "1984" by George Orwell, then you'll see why we need such complex languages!
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Wed 09.27.2006 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby magma » Wed 09.27.2006 12:21 am

I am very non-plussed by that post, Nessa-chan.
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 09.27.2006 2:17 am

magma wrote:
I am very non-plussed by that post, Nessa-chan.

Did you read that book? It was crazy! They were trying to take away all the excess words, but that would have made the people stupider. The entire point of reducing the complexity of the language was to make sure the people couldn't express their dissatisfaction with the totalitarian government! It was totally scary!

Oh, man, I loved that book. I gotta read it again...
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Wed 09.27.2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby magma » Wed 09.27.2006 9:06 pm

Oh, man, I loved that book. I gotta read it again...
I'm sure Mr. Orwell would be pleased.

I wonder how people came up with all of the extra words in language... All the words that can't possibly be imagined in your head out of context. Such as 'that,' 'be,' 'do,' etc.
I wonder if the historical linguists have figured that one out yet...

I find it mindboggling that humans have surrounded ourselves with such complex languages... Wouldn't it be so much easier if everyone used a system with no extra words? But alas, the human mind is too creative to be simple and easy. Hmm.

Q: How many words do you need in your language?
A: Just a few more....
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby punkgrl326 » Sun 11.05.2006 10:37 pm

Thanx to 1984, I finally know 1+1=5 ;)
Last edited by punkgrl326 on Sat 11.11.2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Previous

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test