Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 吉田兄弟の音楽

吉田兄弟の音楽

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

吉田兄弟の音楽

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 09.23.2006 11:36 pm

I bought a compilation of "Asian Lounge" music and the Yoshida Brothers' shamisen on the first track blew me away. I didn't make it through the second track on the CD before I went onto iTunes and bought two of their albums. I'm listening to the first one now as it downloads and it is really good. I always liked the shamisen, but have been 1) hard pressed to find any of the music available 2) afraid that I'll buy crap the first time I get it. It just always sounds awesome the way it's used in Samurai Champloo. Anyway, the Yoshida brothers don't make standard shamisen music. They're definitely a fusion of old and new -- a little jazzy. I definitely wouldn't mind if they start playing this in my building's elevator. I was just wondering if anyone else here has heard of them and if anyone else likes shamisen. I definitely recommend their music if you're interested. If anyone has any suggestions for other shamisen music (traditional or contemporary), holla'... B)
Shibakoen

RE: 吉田兄弟の音楽

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 09.27.2006 8:23 pm

*Bump* Come on. I can't be the only one who likes the Shamisen
Shibakoen

Postby Oyaji » Wed 09.27.2006 8:44 pm

I think the Yoshida Brothers are great, and they always get a big reaction when they appear on TV.

They have a couple of big hurdles in front of them: Their style is still a little rough and unorthodox by purists' standards, while on the other hand samisen will probably never make it into main stream pop music, so while everyone enjoys their music, their fan base will probably never be real large.

As they grow older, I'm sure they will concentrate more on traditional music, but hopefully they will always look to push the boundaries.
Oyaji

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 09.28.2006 10:20 pm

I agree with you. I think you'd have liked an interview I heard on NPR this morning. They were featuring an ukulele player who's got a new album but the way he plays it is so unlike the schmoltzy luau ukulele. He played Classical music with it and even rock -- and it really was good. I was impressed. Apparently he was the musical guest on Conan one night and was really good. If I can find his name, I'll edit my post...
Shibakoen

Postby Oyaji » Fri 09.29.2006 12:04 am

Was it Jake Shimabukuro? His rendition of George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was real popular on the internet a year or so ago. He was on Japanese TV not too long ago. He is certainly amazing.
Oyaji

Postby Shibakoen » Fri 09.29.2006 9:34 pm

Yeah! That's him! They played some of that on NPR along with the classical and rock stuff and it was really awesome.
Shibakoen

Postby CajunCoder » Sat 09.30.2006 8:33 pm

Before I read this post, I had no idea who they were. However, I found a few random songs of theirs on youtube, and I'm very impressed! I love the shamisen, and the way they combine traditional and modern music.
CajunCoder

Return to General off topic