Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What Instrument do you play?

What Instrument do you play?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

What Instrument do you play?

Postby StarvingMusician » Wed 09.27.2006 7:54 pm

I play the guitar, it has been the second instrument I've tried other than the recorder...(Flashback of horrid memories, forced to play 'HOT CROSS BUNS') *Shudders* Only with a year of experience, I'm all ready starting to get the hang of this hollow wood with strings. A senior in Highschool, I'm taking Music Theory. It really IS a pain in the butt. I only have a cheap packaged Fender squire, yet it amazing recieves compliments from people. It's easy to learn how to play the guitar, but to master...takes a life time. OKAY that was an exaggeration. With my experience it takes about 3 years at least. Tofu KUDASAI! (I've never had tofu...)
StarvingMusician

RE: What Instrument do you play?

Postby Sachi » Wed 09.27.2006 7:57 pm

Electric guitar, 2 years
Piano, 4 years

I love guitar :) Piano can be fun, but I stopped taking lessons. I also took violin for a few years in school, but learned basically nothing from my teacher :P And I remember playing "Hot Cross Buns" on the recorder in 3rd grade, too! :D But I really love music (<<lisens to her iPod way more than should be humanly possible), and I also love to sing. :)
Sachi

Postby BrianM » Wed 09.27.2006 8:06 pm

Guitar, Piano, bass(i manage), and vocals. Love to play!!
Trying to get a band started...but being in college with tons of work, working a part time job and learning japanese ireally dont have any exra time for anything else:(
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby chikara » Wed 09.27.2006 8:07 pm

I play guitar and blues harmonica. I learnt to play the recoder a long time ago but could not play a tune on one today.

....I only have a cheap packaged Fender squire (sic)...

I would use the word "inexpensive" rather than "cheap" to describe the Fender Squier. These are a good first guitar and have a good action and sound.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Shado » Wed 09.27.2006 8:14 pm

I remember having to play the recorder as well. Except I played it when I was in grade 4. Now I play the Viola and have been doing so for the past 4 years.
Shado

Postby StarvingMusician » Wed 09.27.2006 8:14 pm

[

....I only have a cheap packaged Fender squire (sic)...

I would use the word "inexpensive" rather than "cheap" to describe the Fender Squier. These are a good first guitar and have a good action and sound.[/quote]

Honto ne? What was I thinking?! It's a great beginning instrument. *Pauses for a moment to stroke the wooden thing*
StarvingMusician

RE: Favorite Song OR Band?

Postby StarvingMusician » Wed 09.27.2006 8:19 pm

The song I really love is "God Only Knows" originally done by the Beachboys, but Switchfoot did a beautiful coversong. The lyrics are brutally honest, that is why I like it. http://www.strippedmusic.com
StarvingMusician

Postby Axlen » Wed 09.27.2006 8:57 pm

I play a piano for fun and relaxation. In grade school I tried violin, but never got anywhere with it. I play out of fake books mostly and my wife complains that I jazz the songs up too much. I don't know, maybe do, but I have fun and that's what counts. Right?

I really like to play ragtime, jazzy stuff and also tend to noodle around just playing chords and short riffs.

For a while I was really interested in theater pipe organs. Before I was married I collected enough old organ parts to assemble a 4 rank pipe organ in my parents basement. It was a lot of fun to build and it really shook the house when I played it. Eventually I sold it to a local church.

My current instrument is a Technics SX-PX228. It's a really sweet sounding digital piano with a great keyboard.

It's great to see so many of you do more than just listen to music B)
Axlen

Postby Takeshi » Wed 09.27.2006 9:01 pm

i play guitar. i never ask the question anymore, "what instrument do you play" because i can pretty much guess 90% of the time ther person will answer "guitar" and the other 10% of the time they say "the trangle"

:D
タケシ
Takeshi

Postby aKuMu » Wed 09.27.2006 9:05 pm

I play Guitar. But mostly just for fun. I own one for about one Year, but i cant play much. I think i would have to take Lessons to get better. Same goes to Keyboard.

btw, does anyone know where to buy a shamisen? (Europe/Germany)
Last edited by aKuMu on Wed 09.27.2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Wed 09.27.2006 9:07 pm

Piano for 11 years. I love that box of strings so much...
Played sax for about 4 years, haven't done much with it recently.
Did some choir, now I mostly just sing for fun.
Also just started up guitar. Doing classical right now to build up the technique that I completely lack. :p
Strawberry_Juice

Postby Reno » Wed 09.27.2006 9:08 pm

Bass Guitar, no funky supercool and crazy Mark King stuff, just plain rock and it doesnt sound all too good but I try my best.
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby Tessen » Wed 09.27.2006 9:12 pm

piano here ^^ 7-8 yrs.. i dont really remember at all..
im in the school jazz band now though. its a really good experience. I wanna learn stuff like shamisen etc.. other instruments, but of course no opportunity
Tessen

Postby Tspoonami » Wed 09.27.2006 9:42 pm

Bassoon ftw.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby magma » Wed 09.27.2006 10:05 pm

First chair kazoo.

I'm a little disappointed chikara doesn't play the didjeridoo.
magma

Native language: 米語

Next

Return to General off topic