Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Getting Ignored by the Japanese...

Getting Ignored by the Japanese...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Getting Ignored by the Japanese...

Postby TrilinguisT » Thu 09.28.2006 3:20 pm

i think maybe they take you as a wapanese/japanophile .. it might not even occur to them that you can be a nikkei, but there are weirdos everywhere who would make up a surname just to try to be apart of a different culture just because they are not socially accepted within their own.. Im not implying anything on your half, but i have yet to see a problem with being ignored .. i've kept a penpal since this early spring, and even told her my ethnicity (which didnt matter) and my nationality .. although she kept me on her buddy list for english practice, i think it's better than being ignored ..
Last edited by TrilinguisT on Thu 09.28.2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrilinguisT

Postby keatonatron » Fri 09.29.2006 1:00 am

Infidel wrote:
It might be cool to do a hook up thing, like they are in Japan.

It's all talk. Everyone keeps saying "let's meet up!" but nothing ever happens :D
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby billy-jay » Fri 09.29.2006 3:59 am

keatonatron wrote:
Infidel wrote:
It might be cool to do a hook up thing, like they are in Japan.

It's all talk. Everyone keeps saying "let's meet up!" but nothing ever happens :D

I go out every weekend. It's not my fault if the rest of you don't show up.

:p
billy-jay

Postby vasou » Fri 09.29.2006 5:07 am

well i seem to be one of the luckiest.
when i was a kid i was reading a girl magazine.
i found a japanese penpal,she sent me an japanese's magazine adress and i advertise.
i got more than 80 replies.
i did answer at about 50 but finally kept touch with 10 for about 6 years and now(its been 9 years,i am 22) i kept in touch with 4.and thats because of my fault(dont have time)
i have a very good experience,it seems to be bad for you,right?
vasou

Postby keatonatron » Fri 09.29.2006 12:06 pm

billy-jay wrote:
I go out every weekend. It's not my fault if the rest of you don't show up.

I go out too! Why don't I see you there?
keatonatron

Postby kukkii » Fri 09.29.2006 3:47 pm

Ooh wow, your Japanese american?! COOL! x3
Anyways, I can see why they MIGHT have stopped replying to you, and all the discrimination and such.
Most people, say Japanese, wants to be friends with a true gaijin (foreigner), HOWEVER they expect you to not be Japanese, or even Japanese American.
They'll be friendly to you without even realizing it.
Once they know you're Japanese, they won't care, pretty much.

I don't think I made my point clearly... hmm..
WELL! Say, you're Chinese, learning Chinese, and is interested in foreigners.
You have a penpal who is interested in your Chinese background.
But, the downside is that you don't know that your penpal is Chinese-American as well.
Once your penpal opens up, and tells more about him/herself, you'll start to ignore that person.
Why? I'm not sure myself. Clueless, to be exact.

If you're heritage is the same as the person you're talking to, in the blink of an eye, the person you're talking to would automatically assume you already know the culture of both of your heritage, the language, etc.
If you don't know about most of them, in their minds, they'll think you're probably dimwitted.

Well, anyways, to answer the second part of your question, if Japanese look down on other Asians too, that answer is a big fat, juicy, NO.
I'm Asian myself (half Cambodian, half Filipino), and my Korean and Japanese penpals don't care if I'm Asian!
They don't look down at me at all! WOOHOO! ASIAN PRIDE IS ON MY SIDE! x3
They treat me kindly, help my Japanese (well, my Japanese penpals do), exchange cultural information, etc.

Well, they might treat me kindly because we're both teens, and I've heard that teens don't care where you're from, and after reading many ads who are Japanese teens, it's actually true. O___O;
But, oh well! I hope my post wasn't as pointless as it seems like it is.... >o<''
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

Postby Sumi » Fri 09.29.2006 5:00 pm

When I went to Japan the summer before last, I was with my older cousin, Hina (19) and she introduced me to some of her friends. One of her friends, Emiko asked me if I was Cambodian and if I was Hina's step-cousin. When I told her that I was mixed with African American and Japanese, she really didn't believe me until Hina told her about my mother and father.

Hina did tell me after I came back to the States, that Emiko didn't want to talk to her for no reason, but we both knew it was because I wasn't 100% Japanese. Hina's other 3 friends didn't really care all that much. They didn't make that much of a big deal out of it. But I do remember when one girl (i can't remember her name) asked me why American condomns come in different sizes. It was odd yet funny.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 09.29.2006 7:41 pm

????? :o since when have cambodians look blasians? the japanese are very very ignorant (not in a bad way) about what foreigners look like...
TrilinguisT

Postby Sumi » Fri 09.29.2006 8:32 pm

Last year, a Chinese foreign exchange student thought that I was Thai. That shocked me too, after Emiko said that I thought of Angelina Jolie's son and thought, "My skin isn't that light!". But since winter is about to approach us, my skin color tends to lighten up, but in the summer time, I get tan...very tan...
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby Takeshi » Fri 09.29.2006 8:36 pm

kukkii, yeah that makes sense. but i don't know about writting to little kids and all "teens" unless maybe 19. i mean i'm 36. that's would just be wierd to me. so 2 more penpals have come and gone since i started this thread *sigh*......it really is testing huh? i don't know how some of you are so lucky to have found people to write to you, maybe i'll just by a japanese robot or something.....like a roomba, :D

Sumi, hmmm so japanese condoms only come in one size? i could make a joke here, but you can probably figure out what it would have been :p it is strange though, the more i learn about japan, they seem so advanced in technology, but very innocent when it comes to things of the world. that's probably a blanket statement, but you get the idea.

keatonatron, yeah where were you guys!!!!! :@ hahaha....jk. hey if you guys were anywheres near me, i'd love to hang out. but there's no way i'm going to fly on a plane just for a meetup. the internet has made the world smaller, now all we need is some star trek travel technology. B)
タケシ
Takeshi

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 09.29.2006 10:52 pm

Sumi wrote:
Last year, a Chinese foreign exchange student thought that I was Thai. That shocked me too, after Emiko said that I thought of Angelina Jolie's son and thought, "My skin isn't that light!". But since winter is about to approach us, my skin color tends to lighten up, but in the summer time, I get tan...very tan...

i notice the same thing happens to me too .. (im cambodian by the way)

and about someone thinking you're thai lol .. they were probably thinking of golf mike LOL ..
TrilinguisT

Postby Dehitay » Sat 09.30.2006 12:17 am

I definitely have a gaijin appearance, (I'm Texan, so it's even common enough for me to wear a cowboy hat) so I'm not sure what it's like to be a Japanese American. But it is entirely possible to be ignored for that reason, so may I suggest the immoral course of blatantly lying about you heritage and name and never meeting the penpal in person >=P? If not, maybe try hanging out with a typical gaijin and force them to talk to you as well.

However, the problem I seem to have with Japanese penpals is they tend to want to talk to people they can meet in person (rare chance in hell with a state like Texas) so few of them will respond to me. After a year, I have only found 1 nihonjin (arigatou Riki-kun) who will constantly talk to me.
Dehitay

Postby firescorpy » Sat 09.30.2006 1:13 am

Hey Dehitay, I am in Texas too (north of Dallas) and there is not much Japanese here (most Japanese in DFW is in the Arlington area). I am in touch with 2-3 of my pen friends currently, but they dont seem to care to meet in person. When you say meet in person, are you talking about Japanese-American penpals? I can probably only meet the penpals that are in the Greater Tokyo area since that is the only place I go to when I go back in the summer (I go to Yokohama).
firescorpy

Postby Dehitay » Sat 09.30.2006 10:24 am

I was talking about a majority of the nihonjin I write to over japan-guide.com. Though I don't have any proof about my theory, I recently started to notice if I don't mention where I'm from, I can get a response. And when they ask me where I'm from, then I don't get a response >=X. I would love to meet them in person, but this is Texas and nihonjin tend to visit Hawaii, New York, California, and Washington more. The only nihonjin I even know of around here are the university's Japanese professors.
Dehitay

Postby kukkii » Sat 09.30.2006 10:35 am

TrilinguisT wrote:
Sumi wrote:

i notice the same thing happens to me too .. (im cambodian by the way)

and about someone thinking you're thai lol .. they were probably thinking of golf mike LOL ..

OH WOW! YOU'RE KHMER TRILINGST!?!? O___O;
(I can recognize Khmer writing anywhere! As for Tagalog, it's a bit hard... ;-;)
HELLO! I'm not the only one here! ^^;
Well.. I'm half and the other half Filipino, but yeah, whatever..
WOW! Hahaha!! Nobody ever mistaked me for being Thai before!
People thought that I'm: Chinese (twice), Korean, Japanese, Laos, and Vietnamese.
My skin isn't that light!!! X____X;
I swear, I think my skin got a bit darker from the Summer Vacation. >.<''

Oh, wow! My earlier post made sense?!?! COOL! xD
Well, just like Sumi-san said, maybe it's 'cause you're not fully Japanese!
That's why they look down on you! ^^: YEAH!
And it seems so weird talking to someone younger than you..
Like when I'm talking to some 5 year old... O___O; WEIRD!
Last edited by kukkii on Sat 09.30.2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan