Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Troubles Within the Country

Troubles Within the Country

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Troubles Within the Country

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 09.28.2006 9:37 pm

I am doing a report for MUN (model united nations club) on japan and indigenous people.
Through my research i was able to find what it is the Ainu and other groups want from the japanese government. I was not, however, able to find out exactly what the japanese government is doing to deal with the demands of the Ainu. Thus far, the government has revoked an act banning the practice of Ainu culture and now recognizes the Ainu as a social group, but they refuse to state the the Ainu are the original inhabitants of Japan. Several organizations have been established in favor of cultural preservation of indegenious people of japan, but i am not aware of the standing of the government itself. (As in what the government is doing about it at this time, if anything).
If anyone has any information, i would very much appreciate it.
Last edited by chiisu321 on Fri 09.29.2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu321

RE: Troubles Within the Country

Postby keatonatron » Fri 09.29.2006 12:34 am

chiisu321 wrote:
(chances are i spelled that wrong)....

Time it takes to write that sentence: 6 seconds
Time it takes to open Google, put in "indigenious" and see if it corrects the spelling: 2 seconds

(sorry in advance for any spelling errors)

Simply apologizing for errors doesn't change the fact that they are there. With such obvious errors as "practive", it really looks like you didn't pay attention at all to what you were writing, then thought "meh, I'll make it all okay with a 'sorry' sentence". Really, if you have any interest at all in getting a decent response, make a DECENT request by actually putting some effort into your post.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.29.2006 1:24 am

but they refuse to state the the Ainu are the original inhabitants of Japan.

That's because there's no certainty that the Ainu *are* the original inhabitants.

Certainly they were in Hokkaido, and in the North -- but not in the south. Japan, remember, is an archipelago. No connection to the mainland. People had to come from somewhere. The Ainu came down from the north (probably island-hopping from Siberia) while the other Japanese probably came from the south, island hopping from Korea and the continent.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Fri 09.29.2006 3:09 am

I remember Model UN! So much fun..

You seem to already know a bit, google it. I remember having a lot of trouble finding information for my country too, although I had Australia...

Maybe try to Wikipedia it, just to get a better idea of what is going on, then search for some key terms. (Like, is there a specific person who is trying to really help the Ainu, or someone who is trying to supress them? Google that person's name, and I'm sure you can find good information.)
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Fri 09.29.2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 09.29.2006 7:57 pm

keatonatron wrote:
it really looks like you didn't pay attention at all to what you were writing, then thought "meh, I'll make it all okay with a 'sorry' sentence". Really, if you have any interest at all in getting a decent response, make a DECENT request by actually putting some effort into your post.

Ouch. x___x;

It was past my "computer time" (because i'm young and my parents make rules -_-) so i'll admit i was in a rush when i typed this.
Sorry. I was in a hurry and honestly didn't have time to check anything i had typed. I suppose I could have waited until today or something. I'm also not very good at spelling. =/

I have googled the subject and read books, but i haven't gotten a perfectly clear statement on what the government's stand point is. What I normally find is complaints by the Ainu and organizations supporting indigenous people. (this is correct spelling and i'll edit my other post) I'll try Wikipedia.
Thank you for your responses. =]
Last edited by chiisu321 on Fri 09.29.2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu321

Postby keatonatron » Fri 09.29.2006 11:59 pm

Very good! I was able to read that last post all the way through without stopping once to scratch my head and say "huh?"

Like the others living in Japan away from English-based interaction, my English skills are degrading ever so slightly. That makes it much harder for me to read something with typos and get through it smoothly. I kept tripping up on your first post :(

Now I really understand what Tony means by "you should type properly for all the non-native English speakers on this forum" :D
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Sat 09.30.2006 2:03 pm

Now I really understand what Tony means by "you should type properly for all the non-native English speakers on this forum"

Never thought you'd be one of them, didja? ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chiisu321 » Sat 09.30.2006 6:04 pm

I will definatley keep that in mind next time i'm posting!
The MUN conference was today and although I was able to represent Japan pretty well, other "delegates" weren't really listening to the specific needs of Japan let alone Asia in context with indigenous people or the other topics.
Apparently, the committee i was in was made up of students from mainly one school. A school where MUN is a class not a club. I did enjoy myself though =]
chiisu321

Postby Takeshi » Sun 10.01.2006 3:35 am

chiisu321, i think it's interesting what you are doing and i wasn't even aware of this. after you are done with your study would you be allowed to post your article here? i'd love to read it and learn more about it. to everyone else, don't tell me to google it....i don't google! except on sundays. :D
タケシ
Takeshi

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 10.01.2006 8:29 am

Now I really understand what Tony means by "you should type properly for all the non-native English speakers on this forum"

Never thought you'd be one of them, didja?

I finished some translation work I was doing today. In 30 pages of English text, I think I had some 100 spelling mistakes. It took me 20 minutes just to go through spell check. Although most of those were 入力ミスs, an embarrasing<sp> number were me forgetting how to write my native language. :(

I also had an argument with a Japanese co-worker yesterday about how to spell restaurant. Luckily, that's one of the words I work hard to remember the spelling of, so I won the argument. ;)
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby clay » Sun 10.01.2006 8:40 am

The new Beta for Firefox has a built in spell checker. But I don't think the Rikaichan plug in is updated for it.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Sun 10.01.2006 2:27 pm

bleh, beta....
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Sun 10.01.2006 2:56 pm

Harisenbon wrote:

Never thought you'd be one of them, didja?

I finished some translation work I was doing today. In 30 pages of English text, I think I had some 100 spelling mistakes. It took me 20 minutes just to go through spell check. Although most of those were 入力ミスs, an embarrasing<sp> number were me forgetting how to write my native language. :(

I also had an argument with a Japanese co-worker yesterday about how to spell restaurant. Luckily, that's one of the words I work hard to remember the spelling of, so I won the argument. ;)

It's embarressing when one of my students corrects my spelling.

Actually it isn't, that just seemed like a fancy way to state that on occassion they have corrected my spelling.
keatonatron

Postby richvh » Sun 10.01.2006 3:11 pm

Is it embarassing to misspell "embarassing"?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby keatonatron » Sun 10.01.2006 3:29 pm

I was trying to help Harisenbon feel better ;) I also threw an extra 's' into 'occasion' for good measure. Why didn't you stick that one in your reply too? :D
keatonatron

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan