Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pictures from my trip to Japan.

Pictures from my trip to Japan.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Pictures from my trip to Japan.

Postby Axlen » Tue 10.03.2006 12:05 am

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share the pictures I took when I visited Japan in June of this year.

Here's the link to my web album.

My business trip to Japan was a whirlwind affair. We did not get too much time to sight see, but it was an interesting trip none the less. We took a direct flight from St. Paul, MN to Narita Airport. It was a 12 hour flight. From there we took a limosine shuttle bus to Tokyo Station, then by taxi to the Tokyo Dome Hotel. We were tired so we ate American food in the Sizzler's restaurant at the hotel. I think the steak I ate was the best I've ever tasted. I wondered if it came from Australia since American beef is currently banned in Japan.

After a restless nights sleep I got up around 4:00am, took a shower and decided to take a walk around the Hotel. Our japanese hosts were not picking us up until 8:30. At 5:00am Tokyo is a pretty sleepy place. No one was around except a few people sweeping walkways or loading vending machines. I took some pictures around Tokyo Dome City, a shopping center with restaurants, and amusement park located next to the Tokyo Dome: home of the Yomiuri Giants baseball team. Judging by some of the signage around the area it looks like Miller Beer is popular too, but I did enjoy a few Kirin brews while I was in town

Our hosts/business peers, were in their late 20's or early 30's I'd guess and seemed pretty westernized IMHO. They consisted of Yoshioka-san the server admin, Mr. Ota the IT Manager, and Mr. Ita, a well rounded web developer/PC support person, and then thier boss Mr. Hatsugana. Mr. Hatsugana appeared to be in his late 50's. He really liked to talk about the problems facing the senior citizens here and in Japan.

The main office was just a few blocks away from the hotel so we were able to walk. Mr. Ota and Yoshi, as he preferred to be called, met us at the hotel and guided us there. It was a nice day around 70F and a little muggy. The sun was shining. Our walk took us through an area of apartment buildings, small businesses, and a school. The area where the main office is located is an area that is popular with small medical service and supply companies. The main office is a 5 story building not more than 15 to 20 years old. After a short ride up the elevator to the 4th floor we were led into the IT services department where we met the rest of the IT staff. They seemed quite prepared to meet us and even shook our hands (I had heard that most Japanese avoid shaking hands). After some brief introductions we got to work and began work building some Win2K3 servers.

For lunch Mr. Ota brought in some delicious box lunches: Hamburgers and Pepsi! We made good progress and returned to the hotel around 7:00pm so we could get cleaned up for dinner. Later we gathered in the hotel lobby and took a couple of taxi's and headed out on the town. Dinner was amazing!. We were taken to a small restaurant that was well hidden at the end of a narrow street. We were treated to a traditional Kyoto style dinner. Yes we even had to remove our shoes and we sat on cushsions by a very low table. I lost count of the courses. I was quite full by the end of dinner. This is the first time I've ever had sashimi, miso soup, wasabi, etc. Before I went to Japan I practiced using chopsticks and learned about proper meal ediquitte regading thier use. I'm pleased to say that the prcatice paid off. I managed to get though the whole meal without asking for a fork. Everthing including the seaweed, tofu, grilled fish etc, was delicious. Well almost, the pumpkin almost made me gag. I'm not fond of squash :@
We drank mostly beer, but I did get a taste of some sake too.

I was seated next to Mr. Ita at dinner. he was trying to improve his english so we conversed about his family and other things as best we could. We would be working together at the warehouse site later that week so it was a good time to get to know each other.

I could go on, but I think this message is too long already.

(edited to remove -san. Such a newbie I am)
Last edited by Axlen on Fri 10.06.2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axlen

RE: Pictures from my trip to Japan.

Postby Takeshi » Tue 10.03.2006 7:26 am

thank you for sharing your pictures and story of your trip with us. i found it pretty interesting and i'm glad you put in a lot of details. i want to ask though, do you speak japanese? or did the people you meet all know some english?

what where some of the gripes the old man had about the senior citizens?

and my last question is about japanese beer. i've heard that japanese beer taste different from american beer, even if it's the same kind of beer. i've hear some japanese people say they like the american beers taste better. did they have any coors there? or will i have to bring my own? :D
タケシ
Takeshi

Postby aKuMu » Tue 10.03.2006 7:48 am

Thanks for sharing! Nice Pics.

But btw, American Beer has no chance against German Beer :p
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby neo2407 » Tue 10.03.2006 7:33 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
This might sound like a strange thing to say about a city but, that view of Tokyo in the morning is beautiful.
neo2407

Postby PIPER » Tue 10.03.2006 8:13 pm

Enjoyed! Thank you for sharing your experience! :D
PIPER

Postby chikara » Tue 10.03.2006 8:47 pm

Great pics. Sounds like you had a great experience.

As for eating at a Sizzler in Japan :o At least it was Aussie beef ;)

aKuMu wrote:

Have to agree with that. Looking forward to the next Schützenfest.
We have a saying in this country that "American beer is like making love in a canoe." :D
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Axlen » Tue 10.03.2006 9:18 pm

Takeshi wrote:
thank you for sharing your pictures and story of your trip with us. i found it pretty interesting and i'm glad you put in a lot of details. i want to ask though, do you speak japanese? or did the people you meet all know some english?

I found about the trip about a month in advance, so I scrounged the web for information about Japan, the culture, and things I should not do while I was there ;) I speak no Japanese, but I did learn some survival phrases from Japanesepod101.com. I even memorized a formal introduction.

Most of the people we met spoke very good english so communication was not a problem. When we had to take taxi's by ourselves our hosts would write the directions out for us to give to the driver. Some of the taxi drivers spoke some english too.

Takeshi wrote:
... what where some of the gripes the old man had about the senior citizens?

It not really gripes about them, but the situation of the elderly in Japan. There are some great concerns about the long term viability of the social security system in Japan. People are living longer and that's putting a strain on the system.

Takeshi wrote:
... and my last question is about japanese beer. i've heard that japanese beer taste different from american beer, even if it's the same kind of beer. i've hear some japanese people say they like the american beers taste better. did they have any coors there? or will i have to bring my own? :D

I'm no beer connoisseur, but I liked the Japanese beers. The alcohol content is higher, and you can buy it from vending machines on the street in 1 liter cans :o

I did not see any Coors beer, but I'm sure you could find some if you asked the hotel concierge. I myself like to sample the local brews where-ever I travel.
Axlen

Postby tanuki » Tue 10.03.2006 9:49 pm

Very nice pictures! You seem to have gotten the best out of your limited time. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Takeshi » Tue 10.03.2006 11:01 pm

chikara wrote:

aKuMu wrote:

Have to agree with that. Looking forward to the next Schu¨tzenfest.
We have a saying in this country that "American beer is like making love in a canoe." :D

i don't know anyone who made love in a canoe, so i translate that saying to "American beer is a rare and wonderful thing" hahahahaaa :p

thanks axlen, that is very interesting about the old japanese people. i never thought about that...but that would make sense in a way because japanese people live very long compared to the rest of the world. i was watching this show where they where interviewing people who were over 100 years old in japan! i've read a study that said a lot of it was because of all the fish they ate and the omega 3 oils.

as for the beers, yeah you are right, i should try their beers. however i noticed that japanese seem to like the green bottles, but they say it's very expensive over there. can you confirm this? i once drank with some japanese girls, and i was drunk by the time i got to my sixth beer....the girls drank 10 beers, then continued with shots. and they weren't even drunk! they told me they drink everyday in japan....they said most people do. sounds like paradise to me :D
タケシ
Takeshi

Postby becks23 » Wed 10.04.2006 12:00 am

chikara wrote:

aKuMu wrote:

Have to agree with that. Looking forward to the next Schu¨tzenfest.

LOL nice, never heard that one before. :D

Heineken rules!! Guinness too!!

May I share mine pictures with you guys?? My .Mac site hosts all my pictures. I can't believe it's been a year since I came back from Japan...time flies.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby Txkun » Wed 10.04.2006 2:35 am

Thanks for sharing so nice shots.
These are mine of last years's august (here).
Enjoy.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Oyaji » Wed 10.04.2006 10:14 am

Great pictures everyone. When I first came to Japan I was told to take as many pictures as I could within the first two weeks, because things that I found fascinating at first, would soon become common place. I think that is very good advice.

I think I will start a beer thread in the "Living in Japan" forum, so that this thread doesn't get any more derailed.
Oyaji

Postby Mukade » Wed 10.04.2006 11:52 am

Man, some of the empty-street shots of Tokyo are just creepy. It isn't supposed to be like that. Kinda reminds me of "Night of the Comet" (hope I didn't date myself with that comment).

And just FYI, those aren't recycling bins - they are, in fact, Daleks. The Japanese robotic experts have succeeded all too well in their quest to produce thinking servants for man. Beware, as they are poised in strategic positions all around Japan, just waiting for the signal to rise up and wrest control of the archipeligo from their masters...

-----

chikara -

While I agree that the American beers produced by the big corporations can be terrible, there are some absolutely fantastic microbrews in the U.S. It's definitely one of the few things I miss about being back home.... :(

I also have problems with your analogy - what's wrong with making love in a canoe? Obviously, you haven't tried it! :p
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.04.2006 3:17 pm

for those interested, redirect your beer and other comments here

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/vi ... ?f=14&t=5717

let's not hi-jack this picture thread like our typical attention deficit minds like to..

every time I see pics of big cities it takes me back.. thanks for the postup. :D
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Axlen » Wed 10.04.2006 8:31 pm

Great pics becks23 and Txkun! You're making me want to go back and see more :D
Axlen

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan