Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Job availability

Job availability

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Job availability

Postby amiyumi » Wed 06.22.2005 7:11 am

Why do the Japanese not like anyone but white people from different countries then it is usually the white people who are racist (dunno if thats spelled correctly) and they themselvs are asian:(:o
amiyumi

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 06.22.2005 7:28 am

amiyumi wrote:
Why do the Japanese not like anyone but white people from different countries then it is usually the white people who are racist (dunno if thats spelled correctly) and they themselvs are asian:(:o

They look at it from an economical and cultural perspective and conclude that whites are better than other races because they are very developed in these areas. Also, they think whites look physically better. As for racism, most countries in the world are racist against blacks to some extent. Japan isn't any different. I don't entirely understand their relationship to the rest of Asia so I'm not going to comment on it.
Schattenjedi

Postby amiyumi » Wed 06.22.2005 10:39 am

but some of the richest people in the world are black? or are they? or do they look at it from a country-wide perpective?
amiyumi

Postby amiyumi » Wed 06.22.2005 10:40 am

sorry dont know how to spell!
amiyumi

Postby Spaztick » Wed 06.22.2005 10:43 am

Getting off topic, but I think that blacks and jews seem to have had the worst discrimination (not Jews the relegion but people of Hebrew/Jewish decent). Kind of hard to understand why exactly, but if you yourself aren't racist the it shouldn't be too big of a worry anyhow.
:)
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby amiyumi » Wed 06.22.2005 10:45 am

yeah actually it is hard to understand because whites try and get a tan even if ti means endangering their skin but they hate people who are naturally tanned ?!?! stupid, stupid people!
amiyumi

Postby jinksys » Wed 06.22.2005 11:31 pm

you have no room to talk about racists when you yourself are racist.

..Oh...you want an answer to your post?

Because we can, thats why.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby Akutabai_Gamma » Sat 07.23.2005 7:44 pm

Are a gaijin's employment opportunities restricted to being an english teacher or majoring in some field of study can't you just get a job at a deparment store as a cashier or manger or a job at a supermarket or even your typical fast food restaurant like McDonlads?
Akutabai_Gamma

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 07.23.2005 9:34 pm

You can work at Mc Donalds, but honestly, why would you want to? Native english speakers are in high demand as English teachers, and can get a good salary pretty much anywhere. You could work at Mc Donalds, but you would need great japanese to deal with a variety of customers.

My Korean friend worked at mac for a while, and she had nothing good to say about it. You deal with a lot of people, and some of them are not going to be happy with the idea of being served by a foreigner.

You can get standard Japanese jobs, but realize that you're going to need near-native japanese to do it. To be a manager, you not only have to have the manager skills you would in your home country, but also be able to express them in Japanese, understand the Japanese business system, understand all the business forms, 専門用語, etc etc.

Being an english teacher is just easier. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Maikuru » Sat 07.23.2005 11:28 pm

Ha.... Thanks for the heads up.... I am a game programmer. I read squaresofts requirements. (Some japanese skills or it said fluent probably) and lots of contacting the head office. So I might be set. But SQ is a good company so I have little chance of getting in =\ Also gonna take a shot at Tokyo University for electronics yah thats right keitaro all the way but im not gonna drift =P
はははははははは!
英語にがっこうはおしてじゃないです。 
われは正解です。 いつも
The chatroom on this website: 利益styx formerly マイク
msn: hkqwonsjoo@hotmail.com
aim: Maikurusama
Maikuru

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 07.23.2005 11:39 pm

Maikuru,

No offense, but you might want to set your sights a bit lower at first. Going to Tokyo University, especially the Electronics department is a bit like getting into Yale or Harvard. If they have an exchange program, you might be in luck, but entering as a regular student is next to impossible even for Japanese students, a foreigner with limited Japanese skills is really going to have little to no chance of getting in.

I suggest going through your college:s exchange program and find a program geared towards foreigners trying to learn Japanese. Kansai Gaikokugo daigaku has a very good program, as do a number of schools.

Good luck!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby jaela » Wed 07.27.2005 7:52 am

since you already mentioned studying in japan, i would like to ask you guys about study opportunities there. which universities are accepting students applicants, and it would really help if you could show me websites wherein i could read more information about their programs, etc. the university i'm currently employed/enrolled in has the exchange program with korean universities. but i would rather pursue my graduate studies in japan (anywhere in the four islands, as long as its in japan) ... that would be like a dream come true for me! then if im studying there already, maybe i'll stay there as an illegal alien after my student visa expires ... :D:D joke.

thanks for any info ... :D
jaela

Postby Capparapha » Fri 08.12.2005 4:50 am

When I was in high school, I received a Tokyo University info letter for prospective students. I was like, "What the heck! How the hell did I get this?" I was so amazed I got one and spent a few seconds thinking about applying. At the time I had no skills speaking/reading/writing japanese and there was no way I could afford studying abroad. My options were 1) Yeah Right and 2) Dream On. Still, it was a great feeling to receive a letter like that from such a presitigious school. Maybe they send a gross amount of letters like that to foreigners just to tease them. They probably sent it because it was some relation to me studying computer science in high school.
Capparapha

Postby ProbyWaN1337 » Tue 09.13.2005 11:09 pm

I was planning to go to Japan after I graduate high school, and I was wondering what job I could hold. So an average job (restaurant, department store) wouldn't really be available to me if I'm not fluent in Nihongo? I want to go to Japan very badly, but now I feel hopeless because I don't know how I'd get a steady income. Any advice???
ProbyWaN1337

Postby Daichi » Wed 09.14.2005 11:35 am

ProbyWaN1337 wrote:
I was planning to go to Japan after I graduate high school, and I was wondering what job I could hold. So an average job (restaurant, department store) wouldn't really be available to me if I'm not fluent in Nihongo? I want to go to Japan very badly, but now I feel hopeless because I don't know how I'd get a steady income. Any advice???

I've read that you can't get a Japanese work visa without a college degree, so I don't think there are any employment opportunities available for a high school graduate (legal ones, anyway). Maybe you'd be better off in college, and trying a student exchange programme as previously mentioned.
Daichi

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan