Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Been To Japan?

Been To Japan?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: Been To Japan?

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.21.2005 12:09 am

well, you don't need to really wear any costumes just wear what you normaly wear its not that fancy in japan.. but if your going on a day or week moth w/e of a celbration look up information on that celebration check what type it is because you may need some suit for it.. Usfull words.. well, just master the simple words hajimashite ( first time greeting ) genki desu ( i'm fine ) genkideska ( how are you, to some one you've already met ), arigatou stuff like that but i would learn alot more then that so you can actually start a conversation.. instead of just saying hello how are you and not knowing any thing else.. I have been to Japan but you don't have to worry because more then half no english very well.
kanadajin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.21.2005 12:17 am

There's tons more, but here are the ones that regularly spring to mind.

Customs things:

* Hugging is not good.
* Do not put your Chopsticks standing up in your rice. I have no idea why foreigners like to do this, but it is BAD.
* Shoes off before going into a house. Buildings have special slippers for guests.
* Put on the bathroom slippers in the bathroom.
* Don't forget to take off the bathroom slippers before leaving the toilet. (VERY Embarassing)

Things that will make you seem cool:
* If going out drinking sake, pour someone else's cup, and then hold yours up to be filled. Do not fill your own cup.

Things to definately check out:
Purikura - Picture stickers
Karaoke
Kaiten Shushi - Cheap sushi on a conveyor belt

And have fun!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby lomagu » Thu 06.23.2005 6:08 am

kanadajin wrote:
... i would learn alot more then that so you can actually start a conversation.. instead of just saying hello how are you and not knowing any thing else.. I have been to Japan but you don't have to worry because more then half no english very well.

I agree you should try to learn more than the basics. It really helps with everday life. As for more than half of Japanese people knowing English well... umm, I think it depends on where you plan on going in Japan. From my experience, many people can't or are afraid to use it (even though they all study it in school - kinda like Canadians & French! haha! sorry, I'm a non-French speaking Canadian). I guess the major cities aren't so bad, but anywhere else, you'd better start studying pretty hard. がんばって!:D
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.23.2005 6:18 pm

Bring photo books, keychains and dried snacks (cookies, etc) from your home country. They go over great. Bring things with some english (like a tshirt) but not so much english that it's overwhleming (like a book).

As for the bathroom slippers, japanese toilets used to be in outhouses, so you had a special pair of slippers for walking from the house to the outhouse and back. You didn't wear these in the house becaues they got dirty and alot of time covered with poop. The tradition has carried over into modern day.

Hope you have fun in Japan. WHere are you going?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems