Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Being a fashion designer in Japan

Being a fashion designer in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Being a fashion designer in Japan

Postby kukkii » Fri 10.13.2006 6:39 pm

Hello, people! *waves* Kukkii here! x3
Anywho, on to the point now: for a career, I've been deciding it numerous time, and has now approved it.
My future career is becoming a fashion designer in Japan for teens and/or young women.
If my fashion career is on the brink of failure, I can become a web designer as well, seeing as that I'll prepare myself to be qualified as a web designer - just in case. ^^;
I already am a little prepared for both careers too.

Now I've already looked up the types of visa and the sort that this career will lead to, and I have a feeling for 'Artist' or 'Entertainer' visa, however, I mostly think it's the Artist type visa.
Now, I've been wondering this, (a) will Japanese clothing store industries be willing to hire an Asian - like me - fashion designer who is not Japanese, (b) can you become a web/fashion designer in Japan, and (c) is it possible to live in Japan and have a career as a fashion designer?
Those questions were bugging me endlessly for days! Argh!

I'm really serious about this, due to the fact that I also have a passion for fashion and webdesigning.
Please, respond to most of my questions as best as you could! Thank you!

Oh gosh... I sound like an adult... >.>; Creepy!
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

RE: Being a fashion designer in Japan

Postby adam » Fri 10.13.2006 8:43 pm

I don't know much about fashion design, but if you're 100% fluent in Japanese and you can prove that you have a lot of talent (I guess you give out samples of your work in fashion design), and you go through all the proper training and more, then I can't see why it's not possible.
Last edited by adam on Fri 10.13.2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam

Postby becks23 » Fri 10.13.2006 10:07 pm

(a) will Japanese clothing store industries be willing to hire an Asian - like me - fashion designer who is not Japanese, (b) can you become a web/fashion designer in Japan, and (c) is it possible to live in Japan and have a career as a fashion designer?

A i'm not certain about. Like Adam said, if you can prove your proificency in Japanese than you will have a much better chance than having a limited understanding of the language.

B/C Look no further than A Bathing Ape(BAPE). One of the most successful fashions in Japan and Asia. Here's their website that you have to download in order to see the products. The founder of BAPE, Nigo, has an Aston Martin, Ferrari Spyder and a custom painted Rolls Royce. He stores those in a $30million house in Roppongi. So I think he's doing quite well for himself.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby colind » Fri 10.13.2006 10:14 pm

I think it would be really difficult.

Here's some articles about getting work in Japan (even specifically as a fashion designer)...
Japan Entry Program - Part One
Japan Entry Program - Part Two
Japan Entry Program - Part Three

Hope something in there helps or is at least interesting. ;)
Last edited by colind on Fri 10.13.2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colind

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan