Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Idiot sites not to go to

Idiot sites not to go to

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Idiot sites not to go to

Postby Ryui » Fri 10.13.2006 4:53 pm

He seems to be one of those guys who just 'cant' be wrong. He wont admit that his site doesnt have extremely accurate information in it. He probably learned Japanese on his own, from a lousy little book. He should take a good class at his local comunity college.

I hate people who claim to know what they're talking about, but really dont. ><; And to go as far as making a website?! Thats really stupid... if he was smart, which hes proven that he isn't....he would get his facts straight and once he actually knows something, then he might think about making a website.

I dunno what was going through his head when he made it, so I'm going to stop talking now so I dont start rambling.
a succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep.
Ryui

Postby becks23 » Fri 10.13.2006 6:43 pm

doinkies wrote:
Wow, this guy is a total DOINK. :o

I especially like his doinky "hiragana chart"...

Another doinky site I found: http://www.loveofanime.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=22

I mean, I like anime and manga but this site is just RIDICULOUS. I especially like the simplistic description of grammar (with NO mention of particles), "o-ai dekite ureshii desu", and the fact that they teach words like 「銀水晶」 and 「変身」. *rolls eyes*

Yes but at least that site actually made sense(the kanji/kana throw up from the other site) AND has a complete romanji hiragana chart :o Given that, most of his words probably came from an anime and is basing it off of sub titles, I think some slack can be given. At least he's not like other anime driven fans who go after complex words and just that; he's established a little more.
Haha this site actually makes the other look much worse...of course those don't compare to another Japanese language site :)
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby kukkii » Fri 10.13.2006 6:53 pm

LMFAO! Not to hurt his feelings or anything, but that was so FUNNY!!!!! >.<"
SERIOUSLY! I love his signature too! Ahahaha! <333
I also hate those... creatures that consider thinks they're all that just because they only know how to say "Hi!" in Japanese! GOSH!!!!!!

During Algebra class, on my desk somebody mispelled こんにちは in Romaji incorrectly - twice!
His/Her first instinct was "koneechuwa", however that was crossed out, and wrote - in the same handwriting - "kuniichiwa."
Somebody seriously give him/her a Japanese-English dictionary... =_=;
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

Postby doinkies » Fri 10.13.2006 6:58 pm

True, heck, 「銀水晶」「変身」「戦士」「うさぎ」 etc. were a couple of the first Japanese words I could recognize (aside from こんにちは and さようなら...yes, the first anime I ever saw, and the first anime I ever saw in Japanese, was Sailor Moon). ^^;

But still, though the site I linked isn't quite as awful as the other one, it's still doinky in its own way. It doesn't explain adequately what hiragana and katakana are used for (it doesn't even say that katakana is used to write loanwords), some of the words sound stilted and unnatural, and there is the immortal definition given for "6:00": "rokuji (pronounced lokugi)". Yeah, the word is correct, but the pronunciation note isn't clear, and I can see someone, after reading this site, pronounce "rokuji" as "low-koo-ghee" when that is not how it's actually pronounced.

They could have at least shown the kana along with the romaji. They did have a complete chart of the sounds the kana represent, but if they were afraid that viewers wouldn't know how to install the proper IME, they could at least have put pictures of the kana along with the romaji.

That other site is just...the doinkiest of the doinky, though.
Last edited by doinkies on Fri 10.13.2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby Mr Hensha » Fri 10.13.2006 7:10 pm

Where he said that his information was from a site "that is like, right about everything," I know someone JUST like him and it made me question if it WAS them.

I can't fathom why someone like him, who knows no Japanese, would MAKE a site on LEARNING it.

I wonder what his parents are like...

Edit: Do you think making a site about Japanese would help one's Japanese?
Last edited by Mr Hensha on Fri 10.13.2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAWEEEAA!! この世界は私達の世界〜SOHL
ミヤビです!
Mr Hensha

Postby habs_360 » Fri 10.13.2006 7:27 pm

Wow, as I have stated before, my level of Japanese is probably -1 at the moment and that site confused the heck out of me. If not for this site (the Japanese Page) I would probably think that is the correct way to do things, and knowing me, I would have given up already. That site is death to beginners. :(
Last edited by habs_360 on Fri 10.13.2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreams that do come true can be as unsettling as those that don't...Brett Butler
habs_360

Postby seiryuu » Fri 10.13.2006 7:45 pm

I got yelled at just for saying sou desu ne doesn't mean let me see.

But, now he messengered me for no reason. o_O
seiryuu

Postby ashitaka » Fri 10.13.2006 9:06 pm

uuummmm...... he counted to 300, and wrote out each number....... he must be a very boring person.
I like how almost all the guestbook posts are the creator.

The kana still shows up but it is just copied from the web, actually so are the number lists, and the phrases, he just randomly copied stuff. he could have at least copied the whole hiragana chart that actually isnt a chart.
ashitaka

Postby aKuMu » Fri 10.13.2006 9:09 pm

ashitaka wrote:
uuummmm...... he counted to 300, and wrote out each number....... he must be a very boring person.
I like how almost all the guestbook posts are the creator.

maybe hes going to write "the nins" too :|
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby ashitaka » Fri 10.13.2006 9:14 pm

My guess is he is 13 or he is a anti-social misanthropic 15 year old.
ashitaka

Postby becks23 » Fri 10.13.2006 9:56 pm

seiryuu wrote:
I got yelled at just for saying sou desu ne doesn't mean let me see.

But, now he messengered me for no reason. o_O

Why oh why would you give out your MSN to a kid like that??
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby kohana » Fri 10.13.2006 11:13 pm

Oh, my dear goodness. Let's not judge by age here! ^^0

The one thing I love about that site is the first thing you see... "Welcome To Overnight Japanese"- I've been learning Japanese for almost a year now and I still hardly know any. Let's dive in and see how much we can un-learn now, shall we? :D

Okay, okay. *stops bashing* ^^''

Although I do think that instead of teaching a beginner at Japanese that "A" is pronounced "Aw," at least the person could change it to "Aa"...

This is a great site to go to for an afternoon's worth of laughs.

-edit-

I just love the hiragana chart. And "Your Welcome - Doitashimashite" Now what about my welcome? :D :D :D
Last edited by kohana on Fri 10.13.2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kohana

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.14.2006 7:51 am

Infidel wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Infidel wrote:
paul_b wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
It looks like some of the people "correcting" him ought not be throwing stones.

You weren't the only one who thought that.

If I say something wrong I'd rather be told than have others snicker behind my back. :)

It isn't incumbent upon me to sign up for every damned place I spot someone making an error of some sort and correct them on it.

And why do you think I was "snickering" at them.

I was just making a general comment, not an accusation.

Then what was the point of including my comments in your reply.

One would suspect that as a child you had a bicycle with coaster brakes.
Mike Cash

Postby Nibble » Sat 10.14.2006 9:19 am

Mike is much too angry to snicker; and if he did, I think he'd prefer to do it to your face.
Last edited by Nibble on Sat 10.14.2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nibble

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.14.2006 10:02 am

Nibble wrote:
Mike is much too angry to snicker; and if he did, I think he'd prefer to do it to your face.

Why do you assume I am angry?
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic