Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is English hard to learn?

Is English hard to learn?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: Is English hard to learn?

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.14.2006 10:00 am

Sunken wrote:
Oh, come on, Mike. We're not talking about native language learning here,

Did you read the post immediately above your own?

but language *study*.

In reviewing the thread thus far, I find this to be the first mention of this distinction.

And since almost any method of studying a foreign language (just the language, mind you!) makes use of texts the point isn't irrelevant. I'd say any language entirely without a written mode will be more difficult to learn,

To learn? Or to study? You seem to have rapidly forgotten the fine distinction that you yourself interjected into the thread only about two sentences ago.

since you can't make use of the connections in the language that can only be seen in writing, nor can use native written material readily for studies. The same goes for learning any foreign language if you're blind, I'd wager. Not nearly impossible, of course, but more difficult - in practice.

I don't disagree. I merely disagree with two head boy's assertion, unencumbered by the thought process, that the two are inextricably linked.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby shinzou » Sat 10.14.2006 12:12 pm

I read an article recently, which deemed standard english the hardest language to learn...

Really? 'Cause damn, I'm having a hard time with Japanese.

-Jon
shinzou

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 10.14.2006 12:15 pm

Mike Cash wrote:I don't disagree. I merely disagree with two head boy's assertion, unencumbered by the thought process, that the two are inextricably linked.

I can understand most of (and speak a little bit of) Tamil, but I couldn't read it if you wanted me too. In fact, I never even knew what the script looked like for a very long time. I can't even read romanized Tamil, actually.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Sat 10.14.2006 12:46 pm

Here's my opinion as a non-native speaker of english. English was very easy for me to learn, but it might have been because I'm swedish and our languages are very similiar when it comes to grammar and words which are sometimes identical or nearly identical.

I don't think the difficulty of languages really affect the learning process of them much, it all comes down to how much effort you put into learning them and your will to study them. Today most people in developed countries are influenced by the english language daily, mostly because of TV and video/computer games.

I think I was a fluent english speaker by the time I was 13 or so. My main influences were video games, tv shows, movies and such things. I didn't really do much about my english in school, it simply came naturally because of the high degree of exposure of it in my ordinary life.

However I can't say my english is perfect, I still learn new words all of the time and different ways of expressing myself. Still there's alot of people here in Sweden who speak very poor english. So I guess it's all about how much effort you put into the languages that determine how good you become at them.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby TrilinguisT » Tue 12.12.2006 4:48 pm

It was not nearly as complicated as most non-native speakers made it out to be. If you are exposed to it, read it, think in it, and most of all, speak it then you would'nt have a problem with mastering it. But then again, technically everyone is still learning english if you really think about it.
TrilinguisT

Postby Sumi » Tue 12.12.2006 4:51 pm

I think that when it comes to grammar and the endless exceptions. Japanese doesn't have that many exceptions.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby punkgrl326 » Tue 12.12.2006 5:20 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
the orthography is integral to learning the language.. they are inclusive and not exclusive..

You're right. I forgot that blind people can't learn English and that babies learn to read English concurrent with learning to speak it.

and you also forgot that those who are deaf and mute can't tell the difference either. of course you are arguing from the specific to the general and that is never a good debate.. you pigeon-hole your idea and then try to splatter it on everything else.

there are many ways to argue this.. consider you and I in disagreement. and i am perfectly fine with that. :o

Stevie Wonder became blind shortly after birth and Helen Keller became both deaf and blind when she was 19 months old. Both these people learned English despite thier disabilities so you and Mike are clearly wrong. Unless, it was just Mike's usual sarcasm and he wasn't literal about what he said. If that's the case, just forget everything I said :)
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby kohyin » Tue 12.12.2006 10:26 pm

Let me think... I started learning English at 5th grade, and just recently (which is multiple decades later) I still cannot be sure how a new word'd be pronouced correctly just by looking at it. I still misspell words and make grammatical mistakes. I think mastering English is not easy for me.

On the other hand, most (not all) of English speakers understand what I say and write. I can read chapter novels and newspapers mostly without consulting a dictionary. I can comprehend most of English movies and even Englsih songs. I think English is not impossible to learn for me either.

I still think that the English pronounciation of the 5 vowels is most difficult and complicated. Nnow I am facing the 4 different tones of Chinese pronounciation... I must say English is not alone being as a difficult to learn language.

When I am asked if Japanese is a difficult language to learn, I usually say that it is easy to learn. But, to come to think of it, it was not that easy for me to learn Japanese...
Last edited by kohyin on Tue 12.12.2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Sumi » Tue 12.12.2006 10:58 pm

I've never noticed how irregular English pronunciation is. Especially where your from.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby TrilinguisT » Sat 02.10.2007 7:21 pm

so who here pronounces all of their words to the 'correct' consonants and vowels? in other words, do you put emphasis on pronouncing each word as it is spelled or do you speak relaxed?

saying you are/you're = your
their/ = they

just as examples .. .. If your not going to eat here anymore, please clean up your mess.

they have a problem with they own cat.
TrilinguisT

Postby b4d0m3n » Sat 02.10.2007 8:07 pm

It is a bit challenging. Pronunciation is inconsistent, which makes it a bit wacky, but otherwise it's alright.
b4d0m3n

Postby angstycoder » Sat 02.10.2007 8:20 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
so who here pronounces all of their words to the 'correct' consonants and vowels? in other words, do you put emphasis on pronouncing each word as it is spelled or do you speak relaxed?

saying you are/you're = your
their/ = they

just as examples .. .. If your not going to eat here anymore, please clean up your mess.

I cringe every time I see people who should know better using the wrong words. their/they're/there its/it's your/yore/you're (and you're should not be pronounced like your anyway!) I don't know why it bugs me so much.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby richvh » Sat 02.10.2007 8:23 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:

In standard American English, there is no difference in pronunciation between your and you're, so using your for you're is simply bad spelling.

Using they for their is dialect, and sounds like ghetto dialect to me.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby trabia-wind » Mon 02.19.2007 10:35 pm

english was easy for me to learn.. but i was like 5. i think learning any language is easy when you're young, and gets harder as you get older. xD but that's not the main point of this thread i think. compared to other languages, english does have a lot of exceptions ._. i think english is easy to get started on, and harder to master maybe..
trabia-wind

Postby gconyers » Mon 02.19.2007 10:49 pm

English is my native language, but I think it is hard to learn. If you need any help, just ask.
Some days it just doesn\'t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
gconyers

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習