Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Im worried

Im worried

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Im worried

Postby Nanashi » Tue 06.21.2005 7:00 pm

Next year Im moving to Japan I havnt thought about it until today, but Im just not going to be able to fit in. Im too tall Ill stand out, I stumble even with my English and thats my native languageand the only good thing I can think of is that Im gifted and Japan is the smartest country in the world so I guess it wont be too bad but still!:(
When I was a moose, I had hiccups.
Nanashi
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue 06.07.2005 10:34 am

RE: Im worried

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 06.22.2005 5:17 am

Shoe size higher than six? I have a 12 and I can find shoes anywhere.

There are tall Japanese people too.

Japan is ranked number 3 in world education, behind Korea and China.

Of course you're going to stand out, you're a foreigner. But unless you're going to the boondocks, you're not going to stand out as much as you think. There are a lot of foreigners in Japan.

Good to know that you're gifted, you'll do just fine.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

RE: Im worried

Postby dballred » Fri 06.24.2005 1:13 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Shoe size higher than six? I have a 12 and I can find shoes anywhere.

There are tall Japanese people too.

Japan is ranked number 3 in world education, behind Korea and China.

Of course you're going to stand out, you're a foreigner. But unless you're going to the boondocks, you're not going to stand out as much as you think. There are a lot of foreigners in Japan.

Good to know that you're gifted, you'll do just fine.


...behind Korea and China? The last UN white paper I saw pegged Japanese literacy at 100 percent. China is still struggling between 25 and 50 percent. Whether or not Koreans can read their own literature (when it involves Chinese characters) depends on when they went to school (trends come and go). In all three countries, though, parents place a very high value on education.
dballred
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu 06.23.2005 6:42 pm

RE: Im worried

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 06.24.2005 7:09 pm

Cuba's literarcy is at 100 too. It all depends how you define Literacy. Education is very important in Japan, and their educational system's world ranking is put in the news alot. I know for a fact that it is currently number three. It used to be number one, but they've been sliping lately.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

RE: Im worried

Postby Qbe » Fri 06.24.2005 10:00 pm

Nanashi wrote:Im gifted and Japan is the smartest country in the world so I guess it wont be too bad but still!:(


Sorry to hear that you've been cursed with the "gifted" label. A good way to overcome it might be to give yourself the task of learning the language before you go. That'll give you a sense of perspective about yourself and will give the Japanese a real reason to treat you well when you get there. If you start working on Pimsleur lessons and a good textbook each day, you can really make a lot of progress by the time you move. Good luck.
Qbe
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue 02.15.2005 4:03 pm

RE: Im worried

Postby Mukade » Sat 06.25.2005 3:26 am

If you're "gifted," then you should be used to not fitting in.

Anyway, if it'll make you feel any better:
When I moved to Japan, I had my hair dyed day-glo purple and my lip and eyebrow pierced. I also have a large tattoo (a social taboo here) that sticks well out from under my shirt sleeves. Despite all of this, I survived (and continue to survive to this day).

Just have patience and an open mind and you'll be allright. Besides, you'll probably be having so much fun that you won't notice the stares...

...most of the time.
Last edited by Mukade on Sat 06.25.2005 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mukade
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 3:30 am
Location: Osaka
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Im worried

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 06.25.2005 1:40 pm

Nanashi wrote:
Next year Im moving to Japan I havnt thought about it until today, but Im just not going to be able to fit in. Im too tall Ill stand out, I stumble even with my English and thats my native languageand the only good thing I can think of is that Im gifted and Japan is the smartest country in the world so I guess it wont be too bad but still!:(




actually japans literacy rate is 99.8% i know im just being a nerd and a dick for disagreeing and i apologize but i think its kind of incorrent to say that literacy is at 100%


@.@


just bare with me



I truly belive that ull be fine nanashi


its all mind over matter.


but one race can fall into a factor. I know its wrong but we all make racial "judgements" and so do the japanese.


but heres and important pharse to keep in mind. its probably the best way to make friends


sake o nomimasu ka?



oh yeah study your japanese


mainichi!!!


they are extremely impressed by foriegn speakers!!!


gambatte!


[ h K ]
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm


Return to Japanese General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dobsonpt and 7 guests