Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Working at the Japanese Embassy

Working at the Japanese Embassy

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Working at the Japanese Embassy

Postby sabrinaw » Fri 10.13.2006 7:03 am

Hey. I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to post this, but ah well. I'm 15, and I'm learning Japanese. My goal is to work at the Japanese Embassy in D.C and then maybe someday transfer over to Japan. (If that's possible)

I'm homeschooled, and I can't find anything good on google, so I was wondering; what should I do in order to better my chances of getting into said embassy? As far as colledge and stuff goes. I plan on being an interpritor or something, so obviously I need to learn the language and culture, but what else?

I have 5 years til I reach 20 and am on my own. So...yeah. Any advice would be grateful.
---------------------------------------
Nine out of ten of the voices in my head agree with me that I\'m perfectly sane.
sabrinaw

RE: Working at the Japanese Embassy

Postby lemonaid » Fri 10.13.2006 8:16 am

Very few people, perhaps even zero, walk directly from university to diplomacy related work, even to that on the "lower" levels of the hierarchy such as translation.
I only know of the ways in which recruitment is conducted in my own country (Norway), and I know it is a long and winding road for sure.
The majority of native norwegians working in foreign embassies are recruited from the foreign ministry. To get accepted into the foreign ministry's trainee programme you have to have a university diploma with exceptional marks (grades), be fluent in at least two languages other than your mother tongue and have international experience. It also goes without saying that a criminal record will be a hurdle impossible to cross.

Get a solid education and work hard to reach your goal. I guess it's the only advice I can give. Good luck! :)
Last edited by lemonaid on Fri 10.13.2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemonaid

Postby keatonatron » Fri 10.13.2006 12:07 pm

And learn how to correctly spell "interpreter." ;)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.14.2006 8:13 am

keatonatron wrote:
And learn how to correctly spell "interpreter." ;)

That's one of the things he will learn in colledge.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sat 10.14.2006 10:15 pm

That's one of the things he will learn in colledge.

I make that same spelling error, pretty often, I could swear that I was taught somewhere that there was a d in college, so I made that same mistake all through middle and high school, and occasionally as an adult when I forget to proof read.

This thread is interesting to me because My ex wife used to work at the Navy cryptography base next door. For a month when I lived in D.C. I walked past it every day on my way from the subway to the base. In that neighborhood there was a place that made the best calzones I've ever had, but last time I went by they were closed down because their liqueor liscense was revoked. I liked that they had a small Navy Federal inside the base, and one of the best Navy barber shops anywhere.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Sun 10.15.2006 12:56 am

Infidel wrote:
In that neighborhood there was a place that made the best calzones I've ever had, but last time I went by they were closed down because their liqueor liscense was revoked. I liked that they had a small Navy Federal inside the base, and one of the best Navy barber shops anywhere.

:|
keatonatron

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan