Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My childhood was deprived

My childhood was deprived

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

My childhood was deprived

Postby Infidel » Fri 10.20.2006 2:10 am

Check out the Nerf Longshot

Sometimes I wonder if growing up is growing progressively jealous of the toys kids get now that I never could.

My toy gun said Daisy on the side, and did nothing but give a little kick when I shot it. My cousin had a cap gun that made me jealous.

But a sniper rifle? That's too much, I want to go beat up some kid now and take his gun.

MY GUN!
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: My childhood was deprived

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 10.20.2006 2:34 am

haha, i lol at kids nowadays, the stuff we did at their age would get them counseling or jailtime nowadays. :)

we had real pellet guns (one pump only, aim for the chest-down rule), and bows and arrows (with the pointy part choped off and wrapped with tape), and bottle-rockets and M80s and go-karts and motorcycles and those wrist-rocket slingshots.... when we played, somebody went home with welts and bruises. gunpowder bombs that left holes in the yard, flamethrowers, model rockets that never came back down... and lawn darts. i'm suprised we lived through high school :)
zengargoyle

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 10.20.2006 4:33 am

My friends had a roman candle duel at 10 paces.

Guess how much hair they had on their heads when they were done. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby LaughingMan » Fri 10.20.2006 5:40 am

Is your avatar a memory of that tragic day, Harisenbon? ;)
「このノートに名前を書かれた人間は死ぬ」
LaughingMan

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 10.20.2006 12:17 pm

I think the hot sun and magnifying glass combo need come out of retirement.

[That's too much, I want to go beat up some kid now and take his gun.

Best of luck!

With the scope on that thing, you'd be lucky to get within 50 metres before you're gunned down in a hail of bullets....

And child behavioural experts are scratching their heads as to why school shootings are out of control.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 10.20.2006 12:29 pm

acttually it doesn't really make me wonder at all. there were more guns in kids hands when i was a kid than there are now.. of course we didn't have first person shooter games. however, you can't blame the games. the responsibility of raising a child lies squarely on the shoulders of the parents. if the child is neglected or has needs not fulfilled, then you get a child that screams for attention.. and gets it one way or another.

teh problem with behaviorial experts is they really aren't experts.. most of the blasted idiots are single and have never had kids. (notice i said most..... )
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 10.20.2006 12:48 pm

A nerf sniper rifle. :o

Years ago when I was showing my grandfather some origami I had learned, he taught me how to make a water bomb out of paper. Even in his 80s he still could remember how to make one. I imagine that means he made quite a few as a child. Anyway, apparantely, they would wait on the roof of a house near a road for unsuspecting travellers. Splash!

Kids, don't try this at home. Nowadays, people carry PDAs, cell phones and other items that could electrocute them.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Dehitay » Fri 10.20.2006 12:57 pm

har har, I doubt I'll ever consider myself too old for toys. I'm an immature adult >=D. At 21, I'm still chasing around cats and ignore schoolwork for video games. The biggest difference is my mom doesn't tell me what to do anymore! I'M A BIG BOY NOW!!!
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 10.20.2006 2:09 pm

at 21 you're a young adult at best.. young usually is equated to immature.. not always, but usually.. welcome to the world of responsibility.. rofl
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Fri 10.20.2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Aislynn » Fri 10.20.2006 2:40 pm

This brings back memories! Playing all those politically incorrect games like "Cowboys & Indians" or "Cops & Robbers" not to mentiong biking up to a half-mile away from home, by yourself when no-one knew where I was until I came home at dark! :D

And yes, we came home with bumps, bruises, scrapes and cuts. And occasionally, poison ivy rashes...
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt-
Aislynn

Postby redfoxer » Thu 11.02.2006 7:45 am

The long shot!!! That is amazing. hahaha, back in my day, all we had to play with was two sticks and a rock. And we had to share the rock!
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 11.02.2006 7:53 am

redfoxer wrote:
The long shot!!! That is amazing. hahaha, back in my day, all we had to play with was two sticks and a rock. And we had to share the rock!

Back when I was a kid n*gga
We used to have this game called paperball
(Paperball? What the f*ck is that?)
Get a piece of paper, ball that m*****f***** up
and play with it! Hahahaha

Coolio
Urban Philosopher
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.03.2006 10:13 am

I remember using an old dried up grapefruit as a baseball sometimes. it usually didn't last but a few hits, but oh was it fun.. :o
two_heads_talking

Postby Tspoonami » Fri 11.03.2006 7:35 pm

My old neighbor told me about how he and his friends would make "magazines" of bottle rockets and spend evenings shooting them at each other. Nowadays, this sort of 'play' is socially unacceptable and unsafe, whereas it's perfectly allowable to get your kids guns and let them loose. I am thoroughly confused.

:D

Kagemaru wrote:And child behavioural experts are scratching their heads as to why school shootings are out of control.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Last edited by Tspoonami on Fri 11.03.2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Return to General off topic