Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - YouTube vs copyright

YouTube vs copyright

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

YouTube vs copyright

Postby coco » Fri 10.20.2006 8:36 am

According to NHK news, the Japanese TV stations and several copyright management associations (included JASRAC) requested YouTube to remove 29,549 video files which are copyright violations.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8038.html
(↑English)
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEW ... 20/251364/
(↑日本語)
--
Edit: Added English website.
Last edited by coco on Sat 10.21.2006 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: YouTube vs copyright

Postby clay » Fri 10.20.2006 8:40 am

I saw that on NHK too. And Google just bought that.
clay
Site Admin

Postby mamba » Fri 10.20.2006 9:04 am

Yes its very sad. Many of my videos and music videos from Japan are being removed, sometimes when I click on the user name, most have "Account has been suspended." This really sucks. :(
mamba

Postby Dehitay » Fri 10.20.2006 12:48 pm

It was blatant copyright violation. What did you expect? At least other programs can be labelled file sharing, but when you just display a copyrighted video over the net, it's weird not to expect a problem
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Fri 10.20.2006 2:05 pm

That makes me sad. I got an email from Avex tracks telling me to take down a music video... Come on! I mean, ok, television shows I can understand, but music videos are meant to be used to get new fans. Really, how is someone going to learn about a new artist without being able to see music videos or listen to music? I wouldn't buy a CD if I had never heard the songs before...
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 10.20.2006 2:50 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14534152/site/newsweek/
The number of Japanese visitors per month has more than quadrupled to 6.4 million since February, an unprecedented success for an English-language Web site. Recently, clips of television shows on a celebrity scandal received 3 million hits in just a matter of days. "It just shows how much people want to see certain videos," and how utterly others have failed to find the content Japan really wants, says Yoshikazu Tanaka, president of GREE, a social networking Web service.

i have a feeling it's more about the big media companies loosing their control over what people see than any sort of copyright or loss of income concerns. the small, grainy, poor quality videos on YouTube are the best free advertisement they can get. they should be looking at what's popular and make it easier to obtain and start raking in the yen...
zengargoyle

Postby Dehitay » Fri 10.20.2006 5:37 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14534152/site/newsweek/
The number of Japanese visitors per month has more than quadrupled to 6.4 million since February, an unprecedented success for an English-language Web site. Recently, clips of television shows on a celebrity scandal received 3 million hits in just a matter of days. "It just shows how much people want to see certain videos," and how utterly others have failed to find the content Japan really wants, says Yoshikazu Tanaka, president of GREE, a social networking Web service.

i have a feeling it's more about the big media companies loosing their control over what people see than any sort of copyright or loss of income concerns. the small, grainy, poor quality videos on YouTube are the best free advertisement they can get. they should be looking at what's popular and make it easier to obtain and start raking in the yen...

I don't know about that. If it's about control over viewing, then copyright lawsuits won't solve any problems of American entertainment going through on YouTube. If they do pull copyrighted material off YouTube, then like you said, they lose a lot of free advertisement. So I tend to think it's more about copyright infringement
Dehitay

Postby neo2407 » Fri 10.20.2006 6:39 pm

I got an e-mail saying that a Red Vs Blue (comedy show made in Halo and Halo 2) DVD extra that I added on youtube had to be removed, even though the company who makes Red Vs Blue were giving the video away over the net for free. So it's not just shows from Japan.
If it wasn't for YouTube I wouldn't have seen lots of animes. I used to watch animes using YouTube then if I liked them I'd buy the DVD's.
neo2407

Postby datdo » Fri 10.20.2006 9:41 pm

well...the Red vs. Blue guys(RoosterTeeth) also sell DVDs of the old seasons so if you show old episodes that kinda isn't cool for them. Don't they only have a rolling archive? I don't know...I haven't gone to the site in a minute (its a colloquial).
datdo

Postby the_haunted_boy » Fri 10.20.2006 9:57 pm

If youtube.com is an non-Japanese site than why are they so offended by violating Japanese copyrighted things?
the_haunted_boy

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 10.20.2006 10:08 pm

Goth_Guy wrote:
If youtube.com is an non-Japanese site than why are they so offended by violating Japanese copyrighted things?

Don't say I never gave you anything: http://tinyurl.com/3rlgy
Mike Cash

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 10.21.2006 12:23 am

I'm still boggled that people have a problem with this.

Putting up copyrighted materials (or anything that is not your own) for free distribution on the net is Illegal. If you put up a music video on youtube, whether it be American, English, South African or Japanese, and you do not have a licnese to do so, the copyright holders are going to have a problem with it.

And believe it or not, music videos are things that are sold in stores, and so the argument still stands for lost revenue.

Now I'm not saying that I disagree with filesharing or whatnot, I'm now the proud owner of all of Ren and Stimpy (because you can't buy it here) because of Filesharing, but at least I recognize that what I do is illegal, and would not feel self-rightous about a company emailing me about it (although I would be freaked out).
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 10.21.2006 2:37 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Putting up copyrighted materials (or anything that is not your own) for free distribution on the net is Illegal. If you put up a music video on youtube, whether it be American, English, South African or Japanese, and you do not have a licnese to do so, the copyright holders are going to have a problem with it.

muahahaha, depends on what country you are from... in some places it perfectly legal depending upon how and why you do so. some countries have levied taxes on recordable media (to be distributed among the copyright holders) thereby allowing such non-commercial sharing. other countries are not members of the major "we'll support your laws" groups. in SomeCountry on SomeContinent it may be perfectly legal to copy/share anything you wish... so who's rules are to be followed? aside from the political madness in North Korea banning anything from the outside.. is it illegal to copy/share outside media?

many countries are quite happy to ignore patents and reproduce medicines "illegally"... good or bad? say the cure for Cancer comes along and is patented in the US and the patent holder wishes to charge insane amounts of money... would countries ignoring the legal issues and producing the medicine anyways and keeping millions upon millions of people from dying be in the wrong?

And believe it or not, music videos are things that are sold in stores, and so the argument still stands for lost revenue.

that argument does not stand. is buying the video from a person who's tired of watching it illegal? the property owner "lost a sale" because you didn't pay them for the video... if to legally purchase the right to view the video would cost millions of dollars.. so very few people in the whole world could afford to 'legally' view the video, is any viewing of the video a 'lost sale'?

if some guru in Tibet came up with the answer to life, the universe and everything, and wrote it down, and that writing down put the answer under the copyright law of that country, and that country decided that nobody ever should hear the answer, should it be illegal to translate and spread that answer around the world?

Now I'm not saying that I disagree with filesharing or whatnot, I'm now the proud owner of all of Ren and Stimpy (because you can't buy it here) because of Filesharing, but at least I recognize that what I do is illegal, and would not feel self-rightous about a company emailing me about it (although I would be freaked out).

yeah, pretty much "ditto". there are things that can't be had for any price legally that should be available somehow to everybody who wishes to know that thing. it's the old "letter of law" vs "spirit of law". if the next great piece of literature comes from a person/country that wishes to keep it a secret, or charge an arm and a leg for the priveledge to experience the thing... screw 'em.

laws will change. a few hundred years ago it would have been illegal to help free a slave... and it may be illegal to kill a madman who is killing people left and right (unless he points the gun at you personally)... nevertheless, there's usually a corner case where the illegal thing is the right thing.
zengargoyle

Postby mamba » Sat 10.21.2006 3:10 am

I was looking around and I believe they even started taking down sites with the lyrics, specifically those with English translations. :@
mamba

Postby Dehitay » Sat 10.21.2006 11:30 am

that argument does not stand. is buying the video from a person who's tired of watching it illegal?

if redistribution of it is illegal, YES!

the property owner "lost a sale" because you didn't pay them for the video... if to legally purchase the right to view the video would cost millions of dollars.. so very few people in the whole world could afford to 'legally' view the video, is any viewing of the video a 'lost sale'?

no, it's lost saleS with a plural S

if some guru in Tibet came up with the answer to life, the universe and everything, and wrote it down, and that writing down put the answer under the copyright law of that country, and that country decided that nobody ever should hear the answer, should it be illegal to translate and spread that answer around the world?

'should' is a weird word here. However, it IS illegal. Because of the way you asked it, that should is still a yes, but the better question would be "Should it be hidden from the public" in which case I still wouldn't say 'yes' immediately. However, if it's the answer to all the problems in the universe, it would have the answer within it.

Illegal is illegal. There's no relative 'no' about that. We're talking about entertainment here, not life dependent material. If somebody doesn't want you to have access to entertainment they made, then you really don't deserve access to it. Even if you ask "should it be illegal' instead of "is it illegal" then you still get a yes. It's up to the producers of the videos.

However, like Harisenbon, I'm still a dirty pirate. I have no moral ground to stand on for what I do.
Dehitay

Next

Return to General off topic