Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Difficulty reading Japanese online.

Difficulty reading Japanese online.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Difficulty reading Japanese online.

Postby ayesee » Fri 06.24.2005 5:49 am

Hi guys.

I generally have a lot of trouble reading Japanese characters online. It's not because I have bad eyesight but because the default font size is a little too small to define each one clearly. It's not that big of an issue because I just increase the font size of that browser window (Ctrl + mousewheel) but I was wondering if anyone else had that same problem.

Dave.
ayesee

RE: Difficulty reading Japanese online.

Postby Wolfie » Sun 06.26.2005 8:46 am

You're not the only one. I usually have to up the font about 2 or 3 times for me to read it. Also, I usually find that most pages in Japanese are written in larger font sizes then English pages. I guess it's because the latin alphebet doesn't use many strokes. Looking at my keyboard, i'm guessing the most strokes we use is 3...while in Japanese it can go all the way up to 23. o_0; Or so my Grandma's Kanji dictionary claims.
Wolfie

Postby dballred » Mon 06.27.2005 11:38 pm

I experience the problem with characters I have litle or no familiarity with--especially the busy ones with lots of strokes. I think you will find that things will be easier to read as your experience level goes up.
dballred

Postby dballred » Mon 06.27.2005 11:46 pm

Wolfie wrote:
You're not the only one. I usually have to up the font about 2 or 3 times for me to read it. Also, I usually find that most pages in Japanese are written in larger font sizes then English pages. I guess it's because the latin alphebet doesn't use many strokes. Looking at my keyboard, i'm guessing the most strokes we use is 3...while in Japanese it can go all the way up to 23. o_0; Or so my Grandma's Kanji dictionary claims.

My Kanji dictionary (Nelson's New Japanese-English Character Dictionary) has one character with 48 strokes, but there's one listed in the Morobashi Dai Kanwa Jiten (the mother of all Kanji dictionaries, costing over $1000) with 96 strokes.
dballred

Postby MenomaMinx » Fri 07.01.2005 3:55 am

http://www.rikai.com

This online pop-up translator enlarges everything you mouse over as part of the translation process, so you can use this is a cheat to get your kanji enlarged. Remember, whenever you don't want to see any alterations to the tax, just move the mouse over to the far side of the screen while you're reading and you won't see any.
For the truly lazy, you can even have this installed as a plug-in on the Firefox browser.

Also, the Opera browser allows you to magnify Web pages to any size you wish, consequently increasing the size of the text .
MenomaMinx

Postby Chan » Fri 07.01.2005 11:07 am

try changing the encoding
Chan

Postby Maikuru » Fri 07.01.2005 11:15 am

Some symbols are really hard to read sometimes... up your font size and change your encoding.
われは正解です。 いつも
The chatroom on this website: 利益styx formerly マイク
msn: hkqwonsjoo@hotmail.com
aim: Maikurusama
Maikuru

Return to Japanese General Discussion