fbpx

0 Comments

June 29, 2021

JLPT N5 Grammar: Conjunctions: But

ABOUT: 

■  As a particle, が usually indicates the sentence subject. Let's look at が as a conjunction that combines two sentences to express contrastive thoughts. In other words, "but."

While this is the most common usage, it can be used simply as a transition word to combine two sentences without necessarily contrasting.

HOW to use:

■ Sentence 1 + が + Sentence 2  
[Both sentences need to be in the same formal or informal form.]

CONTRASTIVE EXAMPLE:

スーパーに()った、パンがなかった。
I went to the supermarket, but there was no bread.

Let's break that into two sentences:

スーパーに()った。 (I) went to the supermarket.
が    but
パンがなかった。 There was no bread.

NON-CONTRASTIVE EXAMPLE:

映画(えいが)()()きます()ませんか?
I'm going to see a movie. Won't you come?

In this case, you are using が as a softener. It is used to show you are casually bringing up the subject just in case the offer is rejected and you lose face.

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>