Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Changing your name

Changing your name

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Changing your name

Postby Hatori » Wed 10.25.2006 10:42 pm

hey there. am i the only one who has changed their name on this website?? well, if you have, to help stop confusion you can PM me and i can put down your name if you have changed your name. then, somebody can look you up under the list and know "oh 'hot_on' changed their name to be 'degrassi'! that's helpful!" but of course those are made up names. so, i'm thinking about changing my name soon because i'm really getting bored of this name now. so you can check to see who changed their name and still know who it is! :P

---------------

Yuna to Hatori]

KuroKibaNeko to Reno
Last edited by Hatori on Fri 10.27.2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Changing your name

Postby keatonatron » Wed 10.25.2006 11:50 pm

But I thought you're not Yuna... :|
keatonatron

Postby Fukumori » Thu 10.26.2006 12:26 am

I used to be Fukumori-san, but changed it because it's not polite to refer to yourself with san. I don't think you should change your name just because your tired of it...it could cause unneccessary confusion. Just something to consider. ^_^
Fukumori

Postby Infidel » Thu 10.26.2006 12:37 am

maybe you meant 福森山

:)
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.26.2006 3:34 pm

Why don't people just use their real names? Or at least consistently use ONE name so they can be recognized from place-to-place.

The very first day I came here, for example, in the shoutbox Infidel posted a hello and said that he knows me from somewhere else. Where else and what name he goes by there both remain a mystery to me.

I've sometimes in the past gotten messages from folks along the lines of "Oh, hi, I'm Scooby327, you know me as hUrDyGuRdY on blahblah.com forums. I'm also 2KEWL4DaRoom at naninani.com".

Crap like that is why I don't even bother trying to associate a personality with people who post with something that doesn't resemble a real human name. I have trouble remembering who they are and what say.

Silly stuff like "I used to be Yuna but now I'm Hatori"....well, good for you, but who gives a damn?
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.26.2006 4:01 pm

Well, Mike to play devils advocate, you gave enough of a damn to post up. What more could be asked? :D
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.26.2006 4:04 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Well, Mike to play devils advocate, you gave enough of a damn to post up. What more could be asked? :D

Just killing time while .rars unpack and a disc burns.
Mike Cash

Postby tanuki » Thu 10.26.2006 5:19 pm

I used to use my real name as my username, but a while ago I just decided not to and changed it to "tanuki". Now that's my...hm..."official" username for forums and the like, but it seems to be way too common (well, at least in language forums) so I can't use it like that. Maybe I should consider something more original... Tanukinatron? :D
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Dehitay » Thu 10.26.2006 5:55 pm

When you say you changed your name, do you mean you made a new account with a different name? Or is there actually a way to change your name on these forums?

To answer Mike's question - If people were to use their real names on a large member system, you'll quickly notice one of 2 things. Either your name is already taken or your name sounds just like 10 other names making it easy to be confused. Of course the 2nd isn't really valid cause even names that are made up are also easily confused on those systems. However, those 2 things are the reason behind my name. Eric is almost always taken on major servers (as well as a lot of other screen names I tried). Dehitay means nothing in any language (probly cause it's impossible to pronounce) so I use it everywhere I register without worry of it being taken.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby tanuki » Thu 10.26.2006 6:11 pm

I didn't have to create a new account. There was a way to change your username on these forums.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby ashitaka » Thu 10.26.2006 7:00 pm

My official username is ff8ff8 or ashitaka or sometimes ff8ashitaka.
I think i might have been ff8ff8 for the first 10 minutes i was on this site. but I think i was always ashitaka here.
ashitaka

Postby Infidel » Thu 10.26.2006 7:13 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Why don't people just use their real names? Or at least consistently use ONE name so they can be recognized from place-to-place.

The very first day I came here, for example, in the shoutbox Infidel posted a hello and said that he knows me from somewhere else. Where else and what name he goes by there both remain a mystery to me.

Heh,

I can't speak for other people, but for me, I hate my parents, and since my parents gave me my given name, I don't use it out out of spite. The name ishnar was given to me by friends, so I've been using that for a long time. More recently, I realized the word Infidel was more descriptive of my core values than anything else, so I chose that because it is the most relavent name. So essentially both names have more personal meaning than my given name, thus I perfer them.

Rykk was a clever alteration of my nickname, Rick, which was short for Kendrick, done by my Ex, which I still love and think of when I write it, where Rick or Kendrick reminds me of my parents. Unfortunatly, I can't excape it without taking a name change, so I have to use it at work and other public access places.

Newsgroups have always used the protocol of real name identifiers, although nicknames are ok, so the name I show depends on where I'm writing from. If I'm posting from home I show up as Rykk Adams, from work Rick Adams or Kendrick Adams depending if I'm posting from a workstation I had to enter my legal name or not.

And the place is sci.lang.japan where I mostly lurk since most of the discussions are too erudite for me. But I do post questions there from time to time.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 10.26.2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Hatori » Thu 10.26.2006 7:34 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

normally on my ten billion websites i go on, i'm always Yuna7780... but i think i may change it back to Yuna now. but, if i were to post my real name, i don't think my parents would be real happy about that. so, i wouldn't really do that. but it's a matter of oppinion for what people should do for their names.

-------

as i saw somebody ask about how you can change your name here, just go to "edit profile" and you'll see.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby requemao » Fri 10.27.2006 5:13 am

I use the same handle almost everywhere. Exceptions can be more serious or formal sites where a real name is preferred, or sites where I want to remain anonymous.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby Reno » Fri 10.27.2006 1:01 pm

I was first KuroKibaNeko, it just was a tonguetwister
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Next

Return to General off topic