Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Recommend me something based on what I like

Recommend me something based on what I like

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Recommend me something based on what I like

Postby BetterSense » Thu 10.26.2006 10:06 pm

Cowboy Bebop-95
FMA-95
FLCL-90
Haruhi-85
Monster-80
Haibane Renmei-75
Lain-70
NGE-70
Rozen Maiden-70
Mai-HIME-65
Azumanga-60
Honey and Clover-60
Elfen Lied-20

It's hard to say what I like, but I'm a film student so I'm really interested in things that have coherence and purpose as a complete work, whether in plot or in style. Also, production and music are fairly important to me. I'm not at all interested in ongoing or very long/neverending series. I'm about ready to call it quits on anime altogether because I haven't seen an amazing show in a long time.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

RE: Recommend me something based on what I like

Postby Tspoonami » Thu 10.26.2006 10:10 pm

Rurouni Kenshin
Negima
Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso)
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Yotsuba&!

When I think of more, I'll tell you... lol.
Last edited by Tspoonami on Thu 10.26.2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby BetterSense » Thu 10.26.2006 10:16 pm

I didn't think there was a Yotsubato anime. Besides, I have the first volume of the manga and it's wholly unremarkable. Cute, but nothing to fear missing. I'm looking for shows that make a real effort to be something as a work of film.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby Tspoonami » Thu 10.26.2006 10:24 pm

BetterSense wrote:anime.

I thought you were asking for manga... You never specified whether it was anime or manga, and leaving it for implication is... yeah. Well, with shows, there's one thing I have to say:

WATCH SAMURAI 7. PERIOD.

It is the *best* anime. Ever. It has an amazing plot, and superb animation. Just do it!

:D
Last edited by Tspoonami on Thu 10.26.2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tspoonami

Postby datdo » Thu 10.26.2006 11:04 pm

wow your anime tastes are really unlike mine...I'd give haruhi a 100, FLCL and NGE a 95 at least, and Elfen Lied a decent grade. I feel like anything that I recommend you won't like, but I might as well try.

Tspoonami wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin[except this one]
Negima
Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso)
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Yotsuba&!

srry but a lot of those seem kind of childish. I think he's looking for something a little deeper rather than something just for laughs.

It doesn't seem like you watch many movies (I mean come on aren't you a film student?) so I suggest some Miyazaki films and stuff:
My Neighbor Totoro - though this one not everyone likes
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Grave of FireFlies - this one is really sad
Princess Mononoke

for serious anime series...idk heres some that you might like:
Ghost in the Shell
Paranoia Agent
Gungrave
Chobits- actually this isn't that serious in retrospect

and for comedic anime:
Love Hina
Fruits Basket
Full Metal Panic - any of the three series
GTO(great teacher Onizuka) - I would put this as a must see

Other stuff like what you've already seen
Hellsing - not Ultimate though cuz its not finished
This Ugly yet Beautiful World(Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai) - its often compared to Elfen Lied though I think its worth it
datdo

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 10.26.2006 11:31 pm

BetterSense wrote:
It's hard to say what I like, but I'm a film student so I'm really interested in things that have coherence and purpose as a complete work, whether in plot or in style. Also, production and music are fairly important to me. I'm not at all interested in ongoing or very long/neverending series. I'm about ready to call it quits on anime altogether because I haven't seen an amazing show in a long time.

i would bump FMA down a bit, too long and drawn out.
drop the last two episodes from Mai Hime and bump it up a bit for plot twist!
i liked Honey and Clover a bit more than you did, and thought Azumanga was a bit better just for the funny "life-ish-ness".

Black Lagoon is starting second season, and there's a new Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha coming soon, but the rest are 13/26 episode and it's over series. i also dislike long "Inuyasha"/"Naruto"/"Dragon Ball" things that have no purpose and never end.

Eureka seveN -- on the long side at 52 episodes, but if you watch 'till the end it has some quite good character development. but the Dub somehow looses a lot... :(

Black Lagoon -- totally awesome. mercenaries instead of bounty hunters...

Gun X Sword -- seems boring at first, but it's worth it.

Mushishi -- weird and sometimes unsettling. like X-Files. nice art, leaves you with a shivering feeling.

Noein -- quantum future... (say "what?"). some really stylistic fight scenes. some episodes are poorly animated (or just 'styled' depending on your point of view), maybe saving budget for later 'wow' episodes.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's -- never would i have imagined that a 'magical girl' show could be so enjoyable. i watched both of these series in a matter of days. slow start for first 4 or so episodes you'll think it's like Sailor Moon or whatnot, then things start happening.... best magical weapons EVAR.

Ergo Proxy -- nice art, confusing but interesting story.

Also possibly...

Planetes -- i'm just starting this, but it looks to be really good. maybe like Honey & Clover "real-life-ness" but in space. and probably less drama.

Solty Rei -- best ending EVAR.

Tide Line Blue -- enjoyable.

probably maybe not your thing, but Aria The Animation and Aria The Natural are about the best thing ever. no real plot, no drama, beautiful setting and scenery. totally laid back and amost every episode leaves this 'Ah...' feeling of utter contentment. watch a couple of episodes and if you don't like them you won't like the rest.
zengargoyle

Postby BetterSense » Fri 10.27.2006 12:07 am

Grave of FireFlies - this one is really sad

Indeed, an excellent movie.

I'd give haruhi a 100, FLCL and NGE a 95 at least, and Elfen Lied a decent grade.

With me there is almost no such thing as a 100%, and if there was there is no way Haruhi would get it. It is a very good show though. Cowboy Bebop and FLCL are knockout awesome and win for me. Basically if I give a show over 50%, it should be complimented. Azumanga and H&C are good shows, but the azumanga manga was better than the show.

Elfen lied does not deserve a decent grade. I understand that there is this popular idea going around that EL is somehow not a horrible show. It is. It has pretty OP music, which makes it even worse because it's a waste.

Hellsing

Hellsing was pretty bad. I think the manga ok, at leats pretty entertaining, but the anime is wholly unremarkable. 30%

i would bump FMA down a bit, too long and drawn out.

FMA was long, but it was not drawn out. I was impressed with FMA because of the strength of the characters and the themes explored. A fairly bold anime. Very well done. I think FMA really has something to offer an appreciator of film, ditto x2 with Cowboy Bebop, and that's my criteria.

drop the last two episodes from Mai Hime and bump it up a bit for plot twist!

Mai-Hime is held back by unoriginality, formulaicism, and the very end.
Last edited by BetterSense on Fri 10.27.2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BetterSense

Postby BetterSense » Fri 10.27.2006 12:30 am

It doesn't seem like you watch many movies

You are right, I haven't watched many anime movies.

GOTFF-80
Jin-Roh-70
GitsII-70
CB-60
Gits-55
Blood-20
BetterSense

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Fri 10.27.2006 12:46 am

Uhm, ever heard of Gravitation? It was the only anime I really liked, actually, and the music from it are what got me into Japanese music and ultimately into Japanese in the first place. It's about a guy and his band and he goes through hardships trying to become the best. (Note: Yeah, the main character (Shuuichi) has a boyfriend. That's not the point of the story at all. It's about Shuuichi and his band.)
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Infidel » Fri 10.27.2006 12:47 am

you should start then. Movies almost always have better art, more frames per second so the movement is smoother and they take more time drawing the panels, music is usually better too.

I didn't see Aa Megamisama in that list, you should definitely give this a look. There is an OVA, a TV series, and a movie or two. This has long been my favorite manga. But I started with the OVA.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 10.27.2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Tspoonami » Fri 10.27.2006 12:54 am

datdo wrote:
Tspoonami wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin[except this one]
Negima
Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso)
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Yotsuba&!

srry but a lot of those seem kind of childish. I think he's looking for something a little deeper rather than something just for laughs.

Yeah, I was recommending manga in that post... Yotsuba has a deep, strong plot! :D
Tspoonami

Postby datdo » Sun 10.29.2006 10:57 pm

k fine yotsuba is another exception.
datdo

Postby randomperson » Sun 10.29.2006 11:11 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
there's a new Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha coming soon

we still have atleast 2 months, its probably come out around march is, so 5 months, and thats a long time.
I also loved the weapons, creative for being magical. this series is in my fav. animes. i liked Mai-HiME, the ending part could have been better tho.

i would recommend jigoku shoujo. the 2nd season is airing now. (jigoku shoujo futakomori)
Yu Yu hakusho is also good, but insanely long at a total of 120 eps and 2 moives. Flame of Recca is good to and like yu yu hakusho and is only 42 eps long.
Last edited by randomperson on Sun 10.29.2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby Hatori » Tue 11.07.2006 8:47 pm

i think you'd like:

Lupin the 3rd

Saiyuki

Hellsing

Kaze Hikaru

Wolf's Rain

and maybe Skip Beat, but that's sort of girly...

OMFGOMFG! you like ALOT of the stuff i like. lol. we're cool B)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Belie » Tue 11.07.2006 9:02 pm

Well, I always thought Kino's Journey and Now and Then, Here and There were amazing series. (Both short, too, with just 13 episodes respectively.)

But since your top three are Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and FLCL, I don't know how much they'd be in your alley. In terms of being a cartoon, both are rather serious.
Get up, get out of bed, you can sleep when you are dead!
Belie

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions