Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Notification

Notification

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Notification

Postby raevin » Mon 06.27.2005 7:52 pm

Sorry if this already exists and I'm just blind, but anyways:

Would it be possible to send a notification e-mail to thread subscribers when one of their threads have a reply?
raevin

Native language: English

RE: Notification

Postby raevin » Tue 06.28.2005 11:00 am

ebear215 wrote:
That would be nice. They should add that. But any thread that had been writen on will show up in the new threads space so that works too.

Yea, but if you aren't here for say 3 days...more than likely your thread won't be on that list anymore...heh.
raevin

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.28.2005 12:49 pm

true.. i think they should send out nottifacations when some one replies to ur post.. it would be alot easier then looking for it..
kanadajin

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.28.2005 1:40 pm

email notifications are full of little issues. new tables in the database to track subscriptions. modifications to all the display pages to allow subscribe/unsubscribe. bounce messages from no longer valid email addresses (need administrator intervention). not impossible, but not easy.

almost certainly trivial is to list more than the 5 most recent posts in the Newest Threads box over on the left. that's probably just changing a 5 to a 10 or whatever.

what i would like is an additional page that showed all threads from all categories on one page most recent first. just so i don't have to the Discussion Forum page and then open each category that has new posts since my last visit. sort of a View all Threads page.

also possible along the same line would be a View all My Threads page that lists just the threads you started.

things like that are alot easier since they don't involve keeping track of more information, all that has to be done is creation of a new page that uses infomation already in the database.
zengargoyle

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.28.2005 1:42 pm

umm i think we already have that..

exept for the view all of your threads.. thats a good idea
Last edited by kanadajin on Tue 06.28.2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.28.2005 1:50 pm

i would like having a page of your ( replied ) threads.. then you wouldn't have to check them all to see which was replied unless it said which were replied and which wern't ..
kanadajin

Postby clay » Tue 06.28.2005 2:20 pm

Yes, that would be nice. I am using this program for the site:
http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/news.php

Please take a look. Someone may have written a patch to do this.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.28.2005 2:36 pm

kanadajin wrote:
umm i think we already have that..

exept for the view all of your threads.. thats a good idea

really, where is the page that has all of the threads from all of the categories? all i've been able to find is the Discussion Forum link which goes to the list of categories, then i have to open each category that has new threads seperately. i want all threads from all categories on a single page.
zengargoyle

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 06.28.2005 2:41 pm

kanadajin wrote:
i would like having a page of your ( replied ) threads.. then you wouldn't have to check them all to see which was replied unless it said which were replied and which wern't ..

how about the feature that's already available, the little icon that marks threads that have new posts since your last visit, is that good enough. it seems like replied would be bothersome, once your thread has a reply it always has a reply and will always show up on the replied threads page (even if you had read all the replies and there weren't any new ones it would still show up because it's been replied to).
zengargoyle

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.28.2005 3:06 pm

yea but it would go alot faster if on your thingy where you can edit your profile and logout check the member list if that had a button that showed all of your messages and then showed which were replied and which wern't ..
kanadajin

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.28.2005 3:48 pm

i checked but i couldn't find a patch.. I'll check again though
Last edited by kanadajin on Tue 06.28.2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 06.29.2005 10:30 pm

i also took a look through the php-fusion forums site for plugins and didn't find anything interesting. however... 15 minutes or so of hacking about my little test setup and i had a page that would show the threads from all forums on a single page. so thing about This Page except showing threads from all sections instead of just one section. it should be easy to make the same sort of page that only shows your posts (but i have to create some more users and posts in my test setup before i can test that...). since the view page already has the number of views/replies and the icon change for having new posts since last visit... i think it will satisfy everybody's desires. :D

there's a little more to think about, like not showing sticky threads unless there are new posts (otherwise they would always take up the top N slots), and whether or not to add a column for for the Forum Name.

it'll probably be a week or so before i have enough time to take a more thorough look at things but it seems like it won't be a problem to make this feature reality.
zengargoyle

Postby Gakusha » Wed 06.29.2005 11:59 pm

All of these ideas are good (well maybe not the e-mail) so far. I think it's kind of a hassle to check e-mail that often and it would require too much work on Clay's part. Making changes such as lengthening the list of New Threads or making a page to show only your posts are better ideas. Another possibility is to make a page only showing threads that have been updated in a specified amount of time. That seems like it might kind of exist already. I wouldn't mind if all the forums were just combined into one. This would increase the variety of posts because people who have never visited, say, the JLPT forum would now see posts from it and become interested.

By the way, kanadajin, instead of posting so many times in a row, just edit your posts.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby clay » Thu 06.30.2005 11:45 am

I'm game for anything you guys think is best (and is possible of course!).

Zengargoyle-san, if you come up with something, please email me. Could it be something independent of the rest of the files? That way upgrades wouldn't wipe it out. I wish I knew more about how it all worked.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby raevin » Thu 06.30.2005 12:30 pm

Re-thinking about this, maybe a "Newest Posts In My Topics" kind-of page is a better way to go...basically like what zengargoyle was saying s/he had set up.
raevin

Next

Return to Problems