Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Medical coverage in Japan

Medical coverage in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue 10.24.2006 12:08 am

I live in the US right now and recently I've been kicked out of college because I just stopped going. I couldn't go anymore. I am/was covered under my dad's insurance. I don't know what's going to happen when the insurance company finds out. In the past two years my mother has died, I got severe hyperthyroidism, Crohn's disease (and all its fun secondary problems), an appendectomy, psoriasis, and now it seems I have MS too. I'm royally screwed up. I don't want to be limited to working for the government because that's the only place that offers me insurance without asking about preexisting conditions.

So this is the point where I ask what is medical coverage like in Japan? Do they have a nationwide system? Do you have to be a resident or a citizen to get coverage? Any other information would be helpful.
User avatar
Cyborg Ninja
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue 08.29.2006 8:16 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Nibble » Tue 10.24.2006 12:31 am

I don't know much about medical coverage in Japan, but I do know that you're going to need to complete university if you ever intend to take advantage of it.
User avatar
Nibble
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu 07.28.2005 6:39 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue 10.24.2006 12:34 am

Why do you say that? You have to have a degree to get medical coverage in Japan?
User avatar
Cyborg Ninja
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue 08.29.2006 8:16 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby lemonaid » Tue 10.24.2006 2:21 am

No, but you do need a citizenship

and that requires a degree or someone in Japan who loves you very much.

Then you can get healthcare.
User avatar
lemonaid
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed 02.22.2006 4:44 am

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Mukade » Tue 10.24.2006 2:38 am

Not a citizenship, but a visa. And yes, you typically need a college degree to get one. Do a search in the forum here on visas - its a topic that has come up several times before already.


As for national health insurance (国民健康保険) - it is provided to anyone who is paying healthcare taxes out of their wages (or anyone who is a dependant of someone who is). The healthcare fee that you pay is covered, in part, by your employer in most places.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, your employer is required by law to pay a certain percentage of your health insurance fees if you are working for them over a certain number of hours (basically, if you qualify for full-time status, your employer pays). This is the reasoning behind companies like NOVA reducing classroom hours so that most of their teachers no longer qualify as full-time. The subsequent reduction in health insurance costs has saved them a bundle (if that sounds evil to you - it's because it is).

So that means if you are working several part-time jobs, you do not qualify for national healthcare. In that case, you would have to buy your own health insurance.

Also, if you are unemployed, you do not have national healthcare. But then again, if you are unemployed, you are probably in violation of your visa status, as well, so health insurance would be a minor issue.

There are some companies that specialize in providing health insurance to foreign workers. I don't know if they gouge or not, since I've always been paying healthcare taxes.

I know that many Japanese people get healthcare through the post office (yes, I said the post office) - called 簡易保険. The post office has an image of being stable and reliable, unlike many companies and banks. I'm not sure what their rates are, either, but I can't imagine they would be too bad since the post office has never been a for-profit institution.
Last edited by Mukade on Tue 10.24.2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
意味がなくてもええねん!
User avatar
Mukade
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 3:30 am
Location: Osaka
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Thu 10.26.2006 11:41 pm

Thanks for the info.
User avatar
Cyborg Ninja
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue 08.29.2006 8:16 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 10.29.2006 9:50 pm

I read that the medical heathcare costs around 4千円 per month.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.30.2006 1:08 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
I read that the medical heathcare costs around 4千円 per month.


That.....is hilarious.

This sort of thing is the reason I hate to see foreigners using Japanese names when posting online. People who don't know any better take their ignorant statements as gospel.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Oyaji » Mon 10.30.2006 1:56 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
I read that the medical heathcare costs around 4千円 per month.

Multiply that by ten and you're closer, but still not close, to what I pay a month for national health insurance. And even then, insurance only covers 70 percent of the costs, with the patient responsible for the other 30 percent. Health coverage is definitely not an incentive to live in Japan.


Matsumoto_hideto -- As a high school student going to a Japanese high school you are in a position to make a valuable contribution to this forum, but you need to stay with what you know, not with what you think you might have heard. This is important, because if you don't: a) people who don't know any better will believe you and be misled, and b) people who do know better will call you on it, as they should.

There is plenty to know about Japan to go around. You don't need to be the one who knows it all.
User avatar
Oyaji
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun 04.30.2006 9:57 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 10.30.2006 4:14 am

Oyaji wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
I read that the medical heathcare costs around 4千円 per month.

Multiply that by ten and you're closer, but still not close, to what I pay a month for national health insurance. And even then, insurance only covers 70 percent of the costs, with the patient responsible for the other 30 percent. Health coverage is definitely not an incentive to live in Japan.


Matsumoto_hideto -- As a high school student going to a Japanese high school you are in a position to make a valuable contribution to this forum, but you need to stay with what you know, not with what you think you might have heard. This is important, because if you don't: a) people who don't know any better will believe you and be misled, and b) people who do know better will call you on it, as they should.

There is plenty to know about Japan to go around. You don't need to be the one who knows it all.


haha i actually red it in a book my friend. Im currently at school right now but Ill bring the book tomorow and ill cite where I read the passage. Im not making up numbers man!
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 10.30.2006 4:16 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
I read that the medical heathcare costs around 4千円 per month.


That.....is hilarious.

This sort of thing is the reason I hate to see foreigners using Japanese names when posting online. People who don't know any better take their ignorant statements as gospel.


Wow you seem angry. Do you have some problems in your life? I think you might if you get upset over something as miniscule as a name. But I mean someone with the vast amount of knowlage you have must be able to help themselves.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
User avatar
Matsumoto_hideto
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue 03.15.2005 9:13 pm

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.30.2006 4:41 am

haha i actually red it in a book my friend. Im currently at school right now but Ill bring the book tomorow and ill cite where I read the passage. Im not making up numbers man!


I have a book that says that man never landed on the moon. I have another one that says that evolution is bunk. What are you getting at? Books say a lot of things. Some of them are actually true.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.30.2006 4:43 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:


haha i actually red it in a book my friend. Im currently at school right now but Ill bring the book tomorow and ill cite where I read the passage. Im not making up numbers man!


Yeah? Well we read the numbers in our pay stubs every month.

But we'll be better informed on the matter once we get the right info from that book of yours.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 10.30.2006 5:20 am

Maybe 4千円 a month is for the comprehensive "big toe" coverage, Mike.
User avatar
Kagemaru
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun 09.17.2006 8:56 am
Location: 奈良
Native language: Greek
Gender: Male

RE: Medical coverage in Japan

Postby Mukade » Mon 10.30.2006 7:45 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
I read that the medical heathcare costs around 4千円 per month.


Well, like most taxes, it scales according to your pay. So, if you are only earning around 4 or 5万円 a month, you might get away with paying 4千円.

Thank goodness, I make more than 4万円.

In national health insurance alone, I paid 4万3千円 last month.

Maybe the book you were reading was written by one of those guys that collects aluminum cans in gargantuan sacks on recycle day....
意味がなくてもええねん!
User avatar
Mukade
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 3:30 am
Location: Osaka
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests