Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A MUST READ!

A MUST READ!

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

A MUST READ!

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 10.29.2006 10:00 pm

T.R Reids "Confucious Lives Next Door"

Basically this book could be considered a dissertation. T.R Reid basically is trying to show how Confucionism is the reason for Japanese and all other asian success.

It really is convincing and it definatley convinced me!

AMAZING insite to anyone who is not familiar with no background on Japanese culture and has lots for those who do.

Amazing book. Hands down 5/5
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

RE: A MUST READ!

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.30.2006 2:36 am

Sounds like another 日本人論 book from the reviews.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Txkun » Mon 10.30.2006 3:10 am

Japanese and all other asian success.

Interesting... but what kind of success do you speak of?

Usually I'm pretty skeptic on any author that mixes culture with business success. I think that the ultimate success of any country in business is to not have any culture at all... since it's distracting, keeps people thinking and questioning his politicians choices.
I'm quite skeptic too on someone that wants to answer a lot with just a concept. You know: "As simple as possible, but no simpler" :D

Anyway... isn't it odd that a word like 日本人論 does esist?
In Italian culture and USA/England one I don't think a similar concept does exist. Someone knows the history of this word or studied a bit this 日本人論?

Thanks for the hint on the book I'll see if I can take a look at it.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 10.30.2006 3:15 am

Schattenjedi

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.30.2006 3:56 am

It isn't that the Japanese are unique....it is that they are uniquely unique.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.30.2006 4:04 am

like garlique
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 10.30.2006 4:19 am

Txkun wrote:
Japanese and all other asian success.

Interesting... but what kind of success do you speak of?

Usually I'm pretty skeptic on any author that mixes culture with business success. I think that the ultimate success of any country in business is to not have any culture at all... since it's distracting, keeps people thinking and questioning his politicians choices.
I'm quite skeptic too on someone that wants to answer a lot with just a concept. You know: "As simple as possible, but no simpler" :D

Anyway... isn't it odd that a word like 日本人論 does esist?
In Italian culture and USA/England one I don't think a similar concept does exist. Someone knows the history of this word or studied a bit this 日本人論?

Thanks for the hint on the book I'll see if I can take a look at it.

It didnt make sense to me either because at that point all I had read was the back cover. It really made sense to me after I read it. Very convincing. T.R Reid is great!
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Zounoko » Sat 11.18.2006 12:42 am

I read that book a couple of years ago. Mr. Reid is a reporter, not an academic of any sort. The book is a mixture of personal anecdotes about living in Japan and (especially in the final chapter) insights the author got from interviews on other subjects with various Asian mucky-mucks.

I liked it. I have no idea how accurate it is, since I've never been to Japan. But I think his argument makes a certain amount of sense. Many of our underlying assumptions, as westerners, come either from the Bible or from the ancient Greeks. This is true even for non-believers, and even in situations where religion plays no overt role. It would not be surprising if Confucian, Taoist, and Buddhist thought played many of the same roles in societies that borrowed from Chinese culture. <shrug>

Anyway, it was an interesting book and a quick read.

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Return to History and Literature Discussions