Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Adoption?

Adoption?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Adoption?

Postby Dehitay » Tue 10.31.2006 7:05 pm

Nibble wrote:
The rules for determining how many children a couple is allowed to have are fairly complicated; but most Han Chinese living in urban areas are limited to one child per couple, unless the first child is female or disabled. It's unlikely that they would have a rule against having two girls, given that China is currently suffering from a serious gender ratio problem.

I was under the impression that the gender ratio is due to the Chinese rules on children. Most families would prefer a male child than a female one I believe and that leads to more females being given up. Though that's just my opinion and has no facts that I actually remember to back it up
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby chchan45 » Tue 10.31.2006 9:02 pm

Rather than trying to recall what your friend's Chinese friend said 5 years ago, please find the wikipedia entry for your leisurely perusal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby ashitaka » Wed 11.01.2006 1:11 am

This is getting off topic, I feel a rant coming.....

You could try to adopt a child out of Japan but it could take years just to be rejected, we have plenty of babies in the States, why not adopt from here?
We even have a 2 for 1 special. Or get 3 girls and get a free boy!
ashitaka

Postby MWybiral » Wed 11.01.2006 1:35 am

Wow. I wasn't expecting so many replies so fast.

Schattenjedi, you made an good point. Personally, I am of Polish descent, born in Germany, and relocated to the US when I was about 5. I don't feel that living here has deprived me of my culture (not that it's my favorite country either). I simply find it interesting to study the Polish or German cultures and languages from time to time. As far as another person though, I never really considered whether or not such a culture-shift would affect their emotions or not. It is an interesting thing to consider, no matter where one adopts from.

As far as adopting from China goes, I am too young yet, as you have to be at least 30 years old to apply. Also, I find Japanese culture far more interesting, and would love to have the opportunity to teach a child that they come from something so great. The reason I would rather not consider adopting from here in the states is that there is a little known loophole in the adoption laws stating that if the birthparents ever decide they want their child back, they have before the child turns 18 to reclaim them if the courts find them fit. India, another place I considered, apparently goes by the laws of the adoptive parents' country, meaning US laws would still apply, placing the child in the same unsure position. I am still open to Korea or Vietnam, or anyplace that would both help the adopted child and allow our family to be legally secure. I was just interested to find some information on Japanese adoption, as there was so little available to find.

You are all absolutely right in that my biggest interest should be in adopting a child in need. After all, I am not adopting because of any fertility problems, I simply feel that it would be selfish to insist on a child of my own blood when so many others need loving homes. I didn't know what the conditions were like for the children there in Japanese orphanages, whether they were good or bad, or if there was a great need for homes.

Thank you all for your input!

:)
MWybiral

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.01.2006 6:49 am

For what it's worth, which admittedly ain't much, you're a hero in my book for wanting to open your heart and home to a child in need of rescue. My cousins in North Carolina adopted a baby from Russia a few years ago. In their case, I rather suspect it was because they wanted a caucasian infant free of the legal snags you mention and not born addicted to crack. Gotta go outside the U.S. for that these days.
Mike Cash

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.01.2006 10:16 am

MWybiral wrote:
After all, I am not adopting because of any fertility problems, I simply feel that it would be selfish to insist on a child of my own blood when so many others need loving homes. I didn't know what the conditions were like for the children there in Japanese orphanages, whether they were good or bad, or if there was a great need for homes.

That invokes a great deal of respect from me. I've always personally thought it was better to adopt while there are still children needing adoption than to give birth. It will almost always help the child out. Not only that, it also leaves the mother in a healthier condition than giving birth does (as if they didn't have an easy enough time outliving men).
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Previous

Return to General off topic