Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - so stereotypical...

so stereotypical...

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

so stereotypical...

Postby mangamanzero » Wed 11.01.2006 9:23 pm

What is the deal with all the strereotypes these days? i mean really, its kinda mean when you think about it. americans(though i am one) saying asians have slanted eyes, but then they have totally different stereotypes for ppl from india, do they know that india is part of asia? i also wonder, do they have stereotypes for us in japan or india or africa or any of the american stereotyped place?s :|

tell... cause we wanna know over here. ;)
Last edited by mangamanzero on Wed 11.01.2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangamanzero

RE: so stereotypical...

Postby Mukade » Wed 11.01.2006 9:43 pm

Oh, yes.

All Americans are fat, greedy, obnoxious, live in big houses, drive big cars, carry a gun with them everywhere and eat massive steaks everynight.

(This is a compilation of answers I received when I asked a class of Japanese students what Americans are like.)

I wish the part about steaks were true....
意味がなくてもええねん!
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby BrianM » Wed 11.01.2006 9:48 pm

Mukade wrote:
Oh, yes.

All Americans are fat, greedy, obnoxious, live in big houses, drive big cars, carry a gun with them everywhere and eat massive steaks everynight.

(This is a compilation of answers I received when I asked a class of Japanese students what Americans are like.)

Seriously? they really said that? :(
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.01.2006 9:49 pm

How is this on topic?

"Problems, Errors, Comments (good or bad) about TheJapanesePage.com"
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby mangamanzero » Wed 11.01.2006 10:02 pm

i wish we ate steaks every night too...
but let me give u discription of me(an american) TREMENDOUSLY skinny, greedy, live in a small house and have niether a gun or car so... any1 else got anything? OH YEAH, here in america most japanesewomen are either pretty and skinny(email me), or really fat. you have little eyes and you wear kimonos all the time too. hmmm...

ill take that into consideration... mabey i should wear a kimono...
Last edited by mangamanzero on Wed 11.01.2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangamanzero

Postby ashitaka » Wed 11.01.2006 10:22 pm

There will always be people who belive other people fit into stereotypes. Although Americans are by far the worst, i went into a math clase when i had a teaching break and said i was going to introduce a few friends of mine from asia.
The students started making jokes and pulling the skin near there eyes and saying "Shing Chang Chong".
The looks on their faces was priceless when my friends walked in,
One from Russia
One from Israel
One from Pakistan
Then the kids started making arguments that these countries were not part of asia.

P.S. these kids were Juniors and Seniors in highschool.
ashitaka

Postby doinkies » Wed 11.01.2006 10:27 pm

BrianM wrote:
Mukade wrote:
Oh, yes.

Seriously? they really said that? :(

Just because some of Mukade's students believed those stereotypes doesn't mean that all other Japanese people do. Heck, there are plenty of people in the U.S. who go around spouting stereotypes about other countries and believing in them as well. Same goes with most other countries for that matter. doinkies has seen people say things like "All Japanese people are perverts!" or "All Japanese men are jerks!" or "All Japanese people are suicidal!" and other such doinky stereotypes many times.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby mamba » Wed 11.01.2006 10:47 pm

Im betting 99% of the people here forgot that Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, etc, are all part of America - in a place called SOUTH America. If your talking about Americans from the states, I believe that is called the United States OF America.

I dont mind being a victim of stereotypes. I encountered it all in highschool and also now in my first semester in college. One time in Calculus, the class were talking about this impossible test, and who got the highest score. Then they all started looking at me, the quiet asian dude sitting in the corner. Then I was like "aww hell no, just like highschool." Anyone talking Psychology Classes? I believe this is called "Behavioural Reinforcement" ... I did get the highest score in class -_-
mamba

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.01.2006 10:53 pm

Im betting 99% of the people here forgot that Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, etc, are all part of America - in a place called SOUTH America. If your talking about Americans from the states, I believe that is called the United States OF America.

I've had a few of my SA friends try to make this same point, to which I always tell them, "When people ask where you are from, they are usually asking about your 'country' not your continent, and when people say where they are from, they are usually refering to the country, not the continent."

So unless the word "America" is in the name of your country somewhere, Nuh-Uh. Unless, of course, your just trying to be evasive.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 11.01.2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Wed 11.01.2006 10:54 pm

mangamanzero wrote:.....do they have stereotypes for us in japan or india or africa or any of the american stereotyped place?s........
Most countries have stereotypes for Americans. I have met many Americans who fit the sterotype and many who don't ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chikara » Wed 11.01.2006 10:56 pm

mamba wrote:
Im betting 99% of the people here forgot that Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, etc, are all part of America - in a place called SOUTH America. If your talking about Americans from the states, I believe that is called the United States OF America .......
Often when I meet people from the USA outside of the USA and they say they are from "America" I ask "which one?". You'd be really surprised at the number of blank looks I get :D

Edit: In Team America all locations were identified by their distance from the USA. Panama, South America was identified as so many thousand miles south of real America.
Last edited by chikara on Wed 11.01.2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby mamba » Wed 11.01.2006 11:05 pm

chikara wrote:
mamba wrote:
Im betting 99% of the people here forgot that Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, etc, are all part of America - in a place called SOUTH America. If your talking about Americans from the states, I believe that is called the United States OF America .......
Often when I meet people from the USA outside of the USA and they say they are from "America" I ask "which one?". You'd be really surprised at the number of blank looks I get :D

Edit: In Team America all locations were identified by their distance from the USA. Panama, South America was identified as so many thousand miles south of real America.

Haha most would probably say "Darn it, which one!?" They (Americans, you know the ones from United States) are so bad when it comes to geography. If you watch Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" where he interviews random people walking in the streets, lots of them don't even know where Iraq is - some people even pointed to Austrailia.
mamba

Postby chikara » Wed 11.01.2006 11:15 pm

mamba wrote:......They (Americans, you know the ones from United States) are so bad when it comes to geography......

When I lived in the US (MN) I arrived in December and had never even seen snow before. I was talking to a colleague about how it was taking me time to get used to the cold and he asked "Wasn't it cold when you left Australia?". When I replied that it was at that time summer in Australia he looked at me as if I was from Mars :o
chikara

Postby tanuki » Wed 11.01.2006 11:47 pm

chikara wrote:
Often when I meet people from the USA outside of the USA and they say they are from "America" I ask "which one?". You'd be really surprised at the number of blank looks I get

You're my hero.

----

I always cringe when I hear "the Americas". I've resigned to specify that I'm from "South America" just not to get confused with a Unitedstatian ( :)).

----

Just in case you're wondering, the stereotypical United-States-of-American here is a white, ignorant idiot.
Last edited by tanuki on Wed 11.01.2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Apollo » Wed 11.01.2006 11:56 pm

lol i hate stereotypes! i was asked if Braziians lived in tipees, and if we wear loin cloths, Stereotypes are everywhere in every country. I am from the United States born and raised, but im not happy to be one, im more happy to take on my parents heritage of being Brazilian. :D
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Next

Return to General off topic