Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Gesture?

Japanese Gesture?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese Gesture?

Postby Naiko-chan » Thu 11.02.2006 7:06 pm

I have watched lots of anime and such.I`ve seen a few gestures I am not comprehending well.In a manga called Full Moon, a boy seems to be smelling this girl hair?Always when the male figure proclaims his fondess to some girl,they sniff their hair?Can someone clear this up?
Naiko-chan ^^
Naiko-chan

RE: Japanese Gesture?

Postby aKuMu » Thu 11.02.2006 7:11 pm

Well Japan is neither a Manga nor an Anime show.

But maybe he does it in the Manga to see if hes smelling?..
Last edited by aKuMu on Thu 11.02.2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Naiko-chan » Thu 11.02.2006 7:13 pm

You do have a point but this gesture seems to have originated from Japan?

[Don't double-post just to say LOL -Paul]
Last edited by Naiko-chan on Fri 11.03.2006 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naiko-chan ^^
Naiko-chan

Postby mamba » Thu 11.02.2006 7:47 pm

I just wanted to reply here about gestures with my own experiance. I have a friend who wants to go to Japan, but sometimes i feel sorry for him because he has this mind set that Japan = Anime. However, after making new friends, 3 of those which are native Japanese and have been here for only 3 or 4 years, Im am suddenly realizing that Anime = based on Japanese behavior. The more I hang out with my Japanese friends, it feels like im watching real life anime - the gestures, etc...

During lunch one of them pulled out his cellphone with puppets, dolls, dogs, cats, strings, and beads hanging off. He was sifting through his pictures and stopped at a cat he took a picture of, and said "Chaa kawaiii" I was like "isnt that reserved for school girls in anime?" - in my head of course.

Another instance is when they play with each other. One of them is in my Calculus class and when it was time go to, one of them just grabbed his bag and said "Chotto chotto" waving to come back and the other was like "nan da". He said "nan daaa" again then they both stood there for awhile just laughing. Then he let go and both of us took off to go to class, but as we walked away I could here them giggling saying "kawaii ne"

So yeah, i just wanted to share with everyone. Based on my observation, i dont think anime behaviour just came out of no where, I think it reflects Japanese behaviour and culture. Just like The Simpsons and The Family Guy, they are based off American behaviour and culture.
mamba

Postby neo2407 » Thu 11.02.2006 8:08 pm

Naiko-chan wrote:
In a manga called Full Moon, a boy seems to be smelling this girl hair?Always when the male figure proclaims his fondess to some girl,they sniff their hair?

Yes, I've noticed that in a few animes. A male character saying a girl's hair smells nice with the classic drolling expression on their face.
But anime isn't how Japan is really like. And (this may just be me) but, from the one experience I've had...I'm so alone lol, girls hair does smell nice. But if you hug a girl, especially one that's shorter than you, you can't help but smell her hair (when you breath).
neo2407

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan