Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Standards of education

Standards of education

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Standards of education

Postby Zounoko » Thu 11.02.2006 10:42 pm

I recently finished a class to be certified as a literacy and ESL tutor. This is a volunteer program run by our local chapter of Literacy Volunteers of America.

Here's some of what we were told:

According to the National Adult Literacy Survey, 42 million adult Americans can't read; 50 million can recognize so few printed words they are limited to a 4th or 5th grade reading level; one out of every four teenagers drops out of high school, and of those who graduate, one out of every four has the equivalent or less of an eighth grade education.

According to current estimates, the number of functionally illiterate adults is increasing by approximately two and one quarter million persons each year. This number includes nearly 1 million young people who drop out of school before graduation, 400,000 legal immigrants, 100,000 refugees, and 800,000 illegal immigrants, and 20 % of all high school graduates.

I've had some experience working as a writing tutor with college students at a local performing-arts college. These kids were amazingly poor writers, even though they had graduated from various urban school systems. At the time my daughter was in fourth grade, and she wrote much better than these high-school graduates.

This is another topic I brought up with my Japanese teacher today. I understand that English spelling is a mess. However, I know from experience that Japanese "spelling" is at least as difficult. So I asked her whether there was a literacy problem in Japan.

Her answer was no. It is simply assumed that every healthy Japanese child will learn to read.

Now it could be that my teacher is exaggerating slightly. And of course, kids who attend many suburban and certain rural school systems in America (including the rural state where I grew up and the white-collar suburb where my daughter went to school) are pretty well-educated.

But all in all... I suspect that the Japanese education system is less screwed up than ours.

The Elephant's Child.
Zounoko

Postby shin1ro » Thu 11.02.2006 11:49 pm

A book バカ世界地図 got poeple's attention recently. It's a book how stupidly people think, guess or confess where many place names really are in the world map. But actually I don't read the book.

...well, I know too much about this kind of geography and I can't enjoy this fun game at all, fortunately or unfortunately, because of lack of shared sympathy to those errors...I was an atlas otaku in my childhood (^^;;; B)

But in general, it's said Japanese former extreme ゆとり教育 (relaxed education?) has been ruining Japanese students knowledge for years, especially in math and science fields.

...And I must confess I'm horrible at politics and economics...I didn't know (and probably never heard of?) the name Condoleeza. I know only "Raisu Kokumuchookan" ライス国務長官. But, because it's pretty rare to show someone's first names in Japanese media, I think very few Japanese know even Japanese accented (katakanized) version "kondoriiza".

-shin1ro
Last edited by shin1ro on Fri 11.03.2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby ashitaka » Thu 11.02.2006 11:59 pm

When i was in Southern california some kids there thought people in south america spoke mexican that was probably the worst case i have ever seen, except when i told them their were other countries in SA besides Mexico, took me an atlas to convince them.

Btw they were sophmores in highschool.

Edit: i ment central and south....... friend brought me some beer. be glad im actualy typing words.

Edit2:
We dont teach tomarrow so where testing the many types of Sam Adams.
Last edited by ashitaka on Fri 11.03.2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashitaka

Postby Cherie061403 » Fri 11.03.2006 12:10 am

ashitaka wrote:
When i was in Southern california some kids there thought people in south america spoke mexican that was probably the worst case i have ever seen, except when i told them their were other countries in SA besides Mexico, took me an atlas to convince them.

Btw they were sophmores in highschool.

hm... Mexico is not in South America. Mexico is apart of North America, sometimes said to be Central America. South America is another continent.
Cherie061403

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.03.2006 1:29 am

Zounoko wrote:
Her answer was no. It is simply assumed that every healthy Japanese child will learn to read.

Now it could be that my teacher is exaggerating slightly. And of course, kids who

Japan is reported to have a 99% literacy rate :o
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby ashitaka » Fri 11.03.2006 1:42 am

the other 1% are people who aren't capable of learning and things along that line. 99% is the best percentage of a large country, some small place ( think it was andora or the vatican) had 100% but andora is very very very small its basicaly a town. and the vatican shouldn't be a country at all.
ashitaka

Postby coco » Fri 11.03.2006 4:10 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate
20ヶ国が99.9%で同率という報告が国連から出てるみたいですね。
でも識字率(しきじりつ)調査を受けたことある人、私の周囲にはいませんよー。
9月8日が『国際識字デイ』だって。
Last edited by coco on Fri 11.03.2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby paul_b » Fri 11.03.2006 4:51 am

coco wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate
20ヶ国が99.9%で同率という報告が国連から出てるみたいですね。

そのリストはずいぶんと楽観的なようです。ノートのページを読むとそう思うでしょう。
paul_b

Postby lemonaid » Fri 11.03.2006 1:53 pm

ashitaka wrote:
the other 1% are people who aren't capable of learning and things along that line. 99% is the best percentage of a large country, some small place ( think it was andora or the vatican) had 100% but andora is very very very small its basicaly a town. and the vatican shouldn't be a country at all.

Norway:
Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 100%
male: 100%
female: 100%
https://cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/no.html

Another reason Norway rules! :)
Jokes aside, it must be inaccurate because I know an immigrant who can't read or write.. So obviously...

What I found surprising is that Iceland has a literacy percentage of 99% even though they're only 300 000 people.
Last edited by lemonaid on Fri 11.03.2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemonaid

Postby Zounoko » Fri 11.03.2006 4:47 pm

So the UN is claiming the literacy rate in the US is 97% and the National Adult Literacy Survey concluded that 40 million adults were illiterate in 1992, when the population was lower. Very strange, isn't it?

Here's yet more potentially confusing information: a breakdown of level of literacy skills in several countries (regrettably Japan is not on this list).
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/literacyday1.html

Also, since the original point of the thread was to compare geographical knowledge, here is an interesting little test.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/templates/question_1.html

As you answer each question, you can find a breakdown of the percentage of correct answers given by test takers in various countries.

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Postby paul_b » Fri 11.03.2006 5:04 pm

Zounoko wrote:

As you answer each question, you can find a breakdown of the percentage of correct answers given by test takers in various countries.

That's classic - the country that _least_ knows the population of the united states is ... The United States.

The U.S. was also the worst at knowing where the Taliban and al Qaeda were based but we could have guessed that from [political comment censored].
Last edited by paul_b on Fri 11.03.2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby richvh » Fri 11.03.2006 5:09 pm

Zounoko wrote:
Also, since the original point of the thread was to compare geographical knowledge, here is an interesting little test.

20/20
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Rounin T » Fri 11.03.2006 6:32 pm

Zounoko wrote:

That... was... appalling. What kind of young adults took this test?

- Only about half of the young British knew where the Pacific Ocean was.
- Sweden was the only place where more than half knew the names of the two most populous countries in the world.
- Actually, the Swedes performed (relatively) well in this little test overall, but nobody knows where the heck Sweden is, so it probably doesn't matter.
Rounin T

Postby tanuki » Fri 11.03.2006 6:39 pm

Zounoko wrote:

Very interesting. USA aside, I was shocked by some of the results for Mexico. Only 54% knew where Argentina is and, the worst: only 29% answered the "westernmost city" answer correctly?!?!? How's that even possible?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Rounin T » Fri 11.03.2006 6:57 pm

tanuki wrote:
the worst: only 29% answered the "westernmost city" answer correctly?!?!? How's that even possible?

I didn't understand that, either. Isn't up=North a worldwide convention?
Rounin T

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion