Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Culture Tips

The Culture Tips

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

The Culture Tips

Postby TheBrainSai1 » Fri 11.03.2006 6:28 pm

Konnichiwa,
in the tips for foreigners living in Japan someone said you have to bring money enough for 10 people
what is the period of time for this money i mean it can be for a year or what?
second is WHAT IS THE AMOUNT OF YEN THAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT? because you say for 10 people although you're alone ok but please write how much is the money
sorry if i made mistakes my English is quite bad :(
TheBrainSai1

RE: The Culture Tips

Postby Oyaji » Fri 11.03.2006 7:39 pm

The person is just trying to make the point that it is relatively expensive to live in Japan. "Ten people" is an exaggeration.

There is no way to say how much you will need, because that will differ depending on the situation.
Oyaji

Postby Dehitay » Fri 11.03.2006 7:45 pm

actually, I would like a rough estimate too. Even if the guess is vague, when enough of them, I can get a good idea. So tell me, is it like 500,000 yen or what?

Just realized, the amount would vary drastically if you don't plan on working while you're there. So let me say I plan on going over on the JET program in a few years. With that, how much is a good amount to start off with?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby adam » Fri 11.03.2006 8:12 pm

$1500-$2000
adam

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.03.2006 11:30 pm

What is this money for? What culture tips? What are we talking about?? $2000 for how long?
keatonatron

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 11.04.2006 12:03 am

The how long is a piece of string questionaire....

Put it this way;

I came to Japan with 100万円.

After finding a moderate 1LDK apartment to live alone in, furnishing it, plus living and entertainment, if I didn't have a job, there would be very little change.

There are however, far far cheaper options. Especially if you live with sharemates and need not cough up the key and thank you money on your own.

Put that in contrast to what you would like to do here, and crunch the numbers.

Good luck!
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 11.04.2006 12:59 am

Kagemaru wrote:
The how long is a piece of string questionaire....

Put it this way;

I came to Japan with 100万円.

After finding a moderate 1LDK apartment to live alone in, furnishing it, plus living and entertainment, if I didn't have a job, there would be very little change.

There are however, far far cheaper options. Especially if you live with sharemates and need not cough up the key and thank you money on your own.

Put that in contrast to what you would like to do here, and crunch the numbers.

Good luck!

haha damn! Nice job! I doubt I would be able to make it on that much >.<
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Dehitay » Sat 11.04.2006 12:25 pm

sorry, I've heard 1LDK and the such before. 1 should refer to the number of bedrooms. K I think is kitchen. But I forgot what L and D are. Living room and Dining room? Hmm, I would think they'd be English words since they use romaji; maybe L was lavoratory (goodness, I would hope the Japanese don't know a word English speakers don't usually know).
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.04.2006 1:36 pm

1 bedroom
Living room
Dining room
Kitchen

That's a pretty decent setup. I live in a 1K. My "K" is a 2 meter hallway from the front door to my main room that happens to have a sink and mini fridge in it.
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Sat 11.04.2006 4:32 pm

Well, actually, it's 1+L+DK. The trad Japanese L was *also* the D, so the distinction is between a K (just a kitchen, room to prepare food) or a DK (a kitchen with a dining area).

More on apartments here.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Sat 11.04.2006 11:00 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Well, actually, it's 1+L+DK. The trad Japanese L was *also* the D, so the distinction is between a K (just a kitchen, room to prepare food) or a DK (a kitchen with a dining area).

How is that different from a dining room and kitchen? My friends who live in a 3LDK have seperate rooms for dining and kitchen... How can you say whether it's a dining and kitchen or a kitchen with the dining attached?
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Sun 11.05.2006 12:39 am

How is that different from a dining room and kitchen? My friends who live in a 3LDK have seperate rooms for dining and kitchen... How can you say whether it's a dining and kitchen or a kitchen with the dining attached?

In Japanese housing terms, "DK" is a "dining-kitchen," not a "dining room and a separate kitchen." At least, that's the TRAD usage. Anyone using "LDK" for three rooms instead of two is screwing himself over, as people seeing the ad read that as two rooms (a living room, a and kitchen with dining space).

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kagemaru » Sun 11.05.2006 1:19 am

keatonatron wrote:

The free real estate magazines I picked up from stations, newsagents, etc all had a small floor plan printed in the corner of the add.

It was also handy for finding out info whether the bedroom(s) was/were 和室 or 洋室, the aspect and the actual room size.

You found your place in one of those mags Keatonatron?
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.05.2006 10:40 am

I first searched online, then went to the company's office, told them what I was interested in, and they showed me flyers for all the places matching my criteria.
keatonatron

Postby TheBrainSai1 » Mon 11.06.2006 11:52 am

what's the price of a decent apartment?
am i supposed to bring 300000 yen?
what;s the best job in japan between doctor, computer stuff and scientific jobs?
TheBrainSai1

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan