Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - so stereotypical...

so stereotypical...

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: so stereotypical...

Postby datdo » Fri 11.03.2006 9:17 pm

I'm black...I'm not ignored...I get so much attention . But its mostly because I go to a school that is predominately whie and black kids stick out...a lot...all 5 of us in my grade. Back in my old school where it was almost exactly half black half white and nothing else I wasn't noticed as much. I was merely thought of as that kid who got better grades than you and corrected you when you speak, a habit I picked up from my mom(a first generation immigrant too).

There are stereotyped from all sorts of features: race, religion, sexual orientation, occupation, and a lot of other things.... I know that private school kids are sometimes stereotyped as white, preppy, arrogant, and rich but I don't fall into most of these catagories.<sp> My dad is only manager of part of Verizon(I love bragging about that) but thats nothing compared to other kids who have parents worth 8 million dollars or own baseball teams...

And now you know cuz its Mike's super short show.
datdo

Postby Kama » Fri 11.03.2006 9:17 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Kama wrote:
I don't like stereotypes. :|

Get out of New York and fast >=D ...and Brooklyn of all places. That state is breeding ground for stereotypes (which is ironically a stereotype of the place).

I'm seriously thinking about moving to Swtizerland to be with my family. I like it there a lot. I don't feel the strange tension there as I feel in the US. The Swiss I've come in contact with kind of know, understand, and accept the fact that there are many different kinds of people on this planet and there is good and bad in everyone.. They don't look at me and expect me to be... I don't know.. a stereotype. They don't jump backwards or have a look of shock on their faces when they hear me speak.
Last edited by Kama on Fri 11.03.2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

- Douglas Adams
Kama

Postby Naiko-chan » Fri 11.03.2006 9:31 pm

Mukade wrote:
Oh, yes.

All Americans are fat, greedy, obnoxious, live in big houses, drive big cars, carry a gun with them everywhere and eat massive steaks everynight.

(This is a compilation of answers I received when I asked a class of Japanese students what Americans are like.)

I wish the part about steaks were true....

Isnt that sterotyping?I assume some of the inquired have never met an American?With the history between Japan and the U.S.,I wouldnt be suprised actually. The percentage of foreign in Japan is really low!
Naiko-chan ^^
Naiko-chan

Postby datdo » Fri 11.03.2006 9:51 pm

Naiko-chan wrote:
With the history between Japan and the U.S.,I wouldnt be suprised actually.

United States-Japan history isn't that bad...after WW2. Commodore<sp> Perry and WW2 were flukes. The US helped rebuild Japan after WW2 so that it *spread democracy to asia*...yeah right. more likely it was so that the US had a democratic ally in East Asia to keep those commies(China and Russia) in check.
datdo

Postby aoisatomi » Fri 11.03.2006 9:53 pm

I live in america and I am: not obese, am not the best dancer, live in an apartment, drive a medium sized car, am not greedy or obnoxious, don't have a gun, have good work ethic, and I haven't had a real steak in months.

I think other stereotypes of americans are: white, tall, blonde, blue-eyed, stuck on themselves, think america is better than everyone else and always right, wasteful, stupid (academically), ..the list goes on.

Oh, but I do think a lot of americans need more education in geography. This one kid even asked my friend where a certain STATE was! (it was Texas by the way...how can someone miss that?) And he was american! It's rather sad when one doesn't even know where all the states in your own country are....

Japanese stereotypes i've heard: skinny, smart, short, always wear kimonos, suicidal, perverted, proud, hate americans, isolatory (is that a word?), wear glasses, ...again the list goes on. I even had someone ask me if japanese people still live in hut type houses. When I showed him a picture of some normal "suburb" areas, he was very shocked. He also thought they still wore kimono and other old garb while the common man continues to work the rice fields.

I guess if it's not obvious at this point...stereotypes are usually very wrong or far-fetched. However, I believe that there is a small part of truth to every streotype or they wouldn't exist. But, ...you can't take a stereotype for truth *shakes head*
aoisatomi

Postby Dehitay » Fri 11.03.2006 11:13 pm

aoisatomi wrote:
It's rather sad when one doesn't even know where all the states in your own country are....

har har, stop making fun of me. I have a bad habit of forgetting whatever I don't care about or find important. I can't differentiate a lot of states in the northeast because of it >=D.

However, you bring up a funny point. We got stuck with the stereotype of being fat and being good dancers? Har har, kind of a conflict. Do the Jiggle!
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.04.2006 2:13 am

aoisatomi wrote:
And he was american! It's rather sad when one doesn't even know where all the states in your own country are....

I could say that it's sad when one doesn't know where all the cities are in your own state....and be just as wrong. Go for it, name all the cities in your state without looking at a map.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby mangamanzero » Sat 11.04.2006 12:35 pm

I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!!

sheesh...
i'm MegaMangaMan's brother
(he's not cool though)
mangamanzero

Postby Dehitay » Sat 11.04.2006 12:45 pm

mangamanzero wrote:
I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!!

sheesh...

Professor, I think I've discovered mangamanzero and aoisatomi are one in the same! Fear my deductive reasoning or conspiracy theories, whichever they may be!
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby mangamanzero » Sat 11.04.2006 12:49 pm

whos that? aoisatomi?

???

oh...
we're not really, if you read our descirptions of ourselves youll find some obvious differences.

plus, i cant even get an avatar!
Last edited by mangamanzero on Sat 11.04.2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm MegaMangaMan's brother
(he's not cool though)
mangamanzero

Postby richvh » Sat 11.04.2006 1:09 pm

Infidel wrote:
aoisatomi wrote:
And he was american! It's rather sad when one doesn't even know where all the states in your own country are....

I could say that it's sad when one doesn't know where all the cities are in your own state....and be just as wrong. Go for it, name all the cities in your state without looking at a map.

I can't even do it with a map, since the map won't tell me if that dot is incorporated as a city, a village, not incorporated at all (a hamlet) or is an urbanized township. At most, it will have a legend telling me the rough population range of the community, which would be some sort of guide (minimum 10,000 population to incorporate as a city, but the city I live in has been slightly under 10,000 population for decades (peak population was slightly over 10,000 population, pre-WWII.)) I can name all the cities in the county (there are only 3), but am not sure I could even name all the towns and villages without error (either leaving some out, or including some hamlets). It isn't helped by the fact that some of the towns have the same name as some of the villages/cities.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby punkgrl326 » Wed 11.22.2006 8:05 pm

Mukade wrote:
Oh, yes.

All Americans are fat, greedy, obnoxious, live in big houses, drive big cars, carry a gun with them everywhere and eat massive steaks everynight.

(This is a compilation of answers I received when I asked a class of Japanese students what Americans are like.)

I wish the part about steaks were true....

I heard the gun carrying stereotype was actually pretty popular in Japan. Mostly because of our freedom to carry firearms. In junior high, I had a japanese classmate who recently came to America from Osaka. His first week here, he kept asking us what it's like to hold a bazooka :o
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby chikara » Wed 11.22.2006 8:22 pm

punkgrl326 wrote:
I heard the gun carrying stereotype was actually pretty popular in Japan. Mostly because of our freedom to carry firearms.........

Not just Japan. I thought it was due to your freedom to wear short sleeve, or even sleeveless, tops. ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Tspoonami » Wed 11.22.2006 11:26 pm

I have a lot of fun with my friends... They are from all over teh world, so we totally stereotype each other and speak with wierd accents. It's great...

punkgrl326 wrote:His first week here, he kept asking us what it's like to hold a bazooka :o

Seeing as how I play the bassoon... I could have answered that question.

:D
Last edited by Tspoonami on Wed 11.22.2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby paul_b » Thu 11.23.2006 1:47 am

punkgrl326 wrote:
I had a japanese classmate who recently came to America from Osaka. His first week here, he kept asking us what it's like to hold a bazooka

Now if he'd gone to Switzerland that might have made sense.
paul_b

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic