Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - SAT Japanese?

SAT Japanese?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

SAT Japanese?

Postby Sorako » Fri 11.10.2006 11:40 am

I searched the forum and didn't find anything on this previously, so...

About how hard is this language exam? In terms of JLPT? I was talking to a Chinese student from my school when I was studying, and she asked me if I was going to take it. I completely forgot about it, and now I'm interested. Any idea?
I have no signature. :[
Sorako

RE: SAT Japanese?

Postby Dehitay » Fri 11.10.2006 11:51 am

.......are you talking about the JLPT or the Japanese SAT? I had no idea a Japanese SAT existed so I can't help you with that. But if you're referring to the JLPT, the 4th and 3rd levels seem rather easy to me. Level 2 seems like what would be learned with a Japanese minor from Texas Tech University. And level 1 looks like you would need some serious integration into a Japanese speaking environment.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby hikari_01 » Fri 11.10.2006 12:41 pm

As for the Japanese SAT, I plan to attempt that next fall (along with JLPT4). Certain places hold it in November I believe. Maybe you've heard of SAT Subject tests? They're like the SAT but focus on a specific subject. There are many types, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Latin, Spanish, Math, Physics, Chemistry, you name it. I have a book that tells about all of them and shows sample tests of each subject. You can probly find it at Barns & Noble or something.
hikari_01

Postby Nibble » Fri 11.10.2006 2:20 pm

I'm pretty sure someone asked me about this a while ago, and I looked at a sample test and determined that the Japanese SAT was roughly equivalent to the JLPT4.
Nibble

Postby Sorako » Sun 11.26.2006 9:26 pm

hikari_01 wrote:
Maybe you've heard of SAT Subject tests?

Aye, that's what I'm referring to. Since I'm a junior in high school and I'm geared to take the SAT later this year along with possibly a couple of subject tests, I was wondering if anyone knew the general difficulty of the test.
I have no signature. :[
Sorako

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 11.26.2006 9:33 pm

Nibble wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone asked me about this a while ago, and I looked at a sample test and determined that the Japanese SAT was roughly equivalent to the JLPT4.

REALLY???? wow, that must be seriously easy then. I was thinking about taking the Japanese SAT next year but never actually looked it up but figured it would be around somewhere between 3 and 2 of the JLPT. This makes me feel better and I could possibly get a super high score if I take it since my ability right now is around 3 JLPT. YAY. Ok, that was kind of a rant.
Last edited by flammable hippo on Sun 11.26.2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Hiroshi » Wed 12.27.2006 2:48 pm

I've heard it's easier than the JPLT 4. A friend of mine took both, and scored a nearly perfect score on the SAT. I've heard it's not very hard at all.
Last edited by Hiroshi on Wed 12.27.2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiroshi

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 01.04.2007 2:20 am

Hiroshi wrote:
I've heard it's easier than the JPLT 4. A friend of mine took both, and scored a nearly perfect score on the SAT. I've heard it's not very hard at all.

no way thats impossible its higher than that.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby datdo » Fri 01.19.2007 1:27 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

I'm going to need more punctuation before I'll understand that...
datdo

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 01.22.2007 6:20 pm

datdo wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

I'm going to need more punctuation before I'll understand that...

jibun de yatte yo.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby keatonatron » Tue 01.23.2007 12:02 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
jibun de yatte yo.

Okay, I'll try to add it for you.

"No! Way that's, impossible. Its higher? Than that."

Wow, when we put the punctuation in you really do sound like a moron! :D
keatonatron

Postby firescorpy » Tue 01.23.2007 12:32 am

The SAT Japanese is harder than JLPT4... you should be between, as another poster said, 2 and 3 to ace it. There is a multiple choice section and a listening section. The language subject tests ARE ONLY given in NOVEMBER. So since you are a junior already, take it next year since thats your only chance. The test is one hour long. I am going to take the Chinese and Japanese SAT this coming November.. so that should be good.
firescorpy

Postby datdo » Tue 01.23.2007 1:22 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
jibun de yatte yo.

oo showing off the Japanese skills now are we? Try this: わたしわねこわすきがほしいだ。。。よ。 Beat that

note: the messups are on purpose...I think...
datdo

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.23.2007 2:23 am

oo showing off the Japanese skills now are we? Try this: わたしわねこわすきがほしいだ。。。よ。 Beat that

You forgot だってばよ. No one will ever take you seriously if you don't end your sentences with だってばよ.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby aKuMu » Tue 01.23.2007 7:28 am

and start it with wheal or haha.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Next

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test