Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT in Los Angeles

JLPT in Los Angeles

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT in Los Angeles

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 11.11.2006 11:45 pm

this years Los Angeles JLPT testing is taking place at the University of Southern California....

(shhhh... that's where i work... :) )

i'll be taking level 3 this year (and probably failing miserably...).

so, if you're taking the test in Los Angeles this year, start posting! the area around USC is sorta lame, and depending on which direction you go... dangerous. if anybody is going to be around early for lunch, or late for drinking away sorrows... let me know.

the enjoyable things around USC are terribly limited, it's a cr*py place to spend a day, and being in the area without a car to escape the area is a sad thing....

i'll head down tomorrow and check out what places are open on Sundays. if you are staying in the area for the test, north of campus along Figueroa to Adams is your best bet for food, etc. or the 'Village Mall' between Hoover and Mc Clintock on the north side of campus. do not go South, do not go East, do not go West of campus unless you are brave and worldly-wise and wish to get mugged. (the few block around campus are safe, beyond that is danger.)

USC Area
zengargoyle

RE: JLPT in Los Angeles

Postby ashitaka » Sun 11.12.2006 12:14 am

Did't it used to be at UCLA? You're Zen, you cant fail a test!
If i hadn't already taken the tests when I was working down in LA I would definatly be there.

I miss my time in LA.... The peaceful sound of gunshots, the soothing sirens, walking buy an elemntry/middle school combination and finding yourself staring at the 15 foot high metal fences with dual-direction spikes pointing down, with its closed campus with security guards.
And then you look at the highschool and its an open campus with no fences and no security guards.
To sum it all up some parts are very nice and others are bad and unsafe.

(shhhh... that's where i work... )

I would expect you to be teaching Japanese but since ur going to take 3kyuu im guessing maybe a webmaster for the school?
ashitaka

Postby datdo » Sun 11.12.2006 12:59 am

ew...everyone knows that all the cool US kids are taking the JLPT in NY...east coast ftw

though I have always wondered...what about those kids who live in like the dead center of the country....where do they go?
datdo

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 11.12.2006 1:24 am

ashitaka wrote:
I would expect you to be teaching Japanese but since ur going to take 3kyuu im guessing maybe a webmaster for the school?

teaching/web stuff... heavens no. i'm much to grumpy for such things... i'm a programmer/network geek in the network administration section of the information technology services department. i code, and test/evaluate new high end network technologies and debug the strangest of the "this shouldn't happen" problems and leave all of the day-to-day deal-with-user stuff to those who are much more sociable than i. :)
zengargoyle

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test