Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 里見八犬伝 一巻

里見八犬伝 一巻

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

RE: 里見八犬伝 一巻

Postby richvh » Tue 11.07.2006 7:38 am

死ぬことができずに、笑いものとなり、名をかがし、先祖をはずかしめることはできませぬ。
Be unable to die, become a laughing stock, besmirch our name, and bring dishonor to our ancestors - I cannot do it.

Seems I left out a phrase - that sentence should start out 死ぬべきところで死ぬことができずに、
"Be unable to die at the place where I should die,..." etc.
Coco-san was spot-on with regard to the typos I made.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby richvh » Tue 11.07.2006 5:32 pm

Some more paragraphs.

義実は、父のつよい語気に、おもわず馬のたてがみに涙をおとした。季基は、そのまま乱戦のなかに姿をけした。ときの声がおこった。
Yoshizane, because of his father's harsh words, heedlessly wept into his horses mane. Suemoto, meanwhile, disappeared into the melee. A warcry went up.
「われわれが、お供をつかまつります。いざ」と、里見家のむかしからの老臣、杉倉木痩?′ウ、堀内藏人貞行らが、義実にちかよると、木痩?ヘ義実の馬のくつわをひき、蔵人はその馬の尻をうった。義実主従は馬をはしらせ、西をさして落ちていった。そのむかし、楠木正成が桜井の駅から、わが子正行をかえしたのとおなじ涙のわかれであった。
"We will be your companions. Let's get going," said the old Satomi retainers, Sugikura Kisosuke Ujimoto and Horinouchi Kurando Sadayuki. When they approached Yoshizane, Kisosuke took the reins of Yoshizane's horse and Kurando struck the horse's rump. Yoshizane and his retainers galloped off into the west. In those days, when Kusonoki Masashige sent his own child Masatsura home from Sakurai Station, he shed the same kind of tears of farewell.
 いっぽう、季基は義実がさったことでほっとし、
「これで安心した。では、いそごう」と、八騎の武士とともに敵の大軍につきいった。八騎の武士は、一人のこらえずしかばねとなり、季基もまた討死した。
Meanwhile, Suemoto, breathing a sigh of relief that Yoshizane had left, said, "That eases my mind. Well, let's get on with it," and headed for the enemy army with eight other warriors. Of the eight warriors, only one survived, and Suemoto died in the battle.

Questions: What's up with the last sentence in the second paragraph? Some sort of cultural reference? Did I interpret it correctly?
Did I understand the phrase starting 一人のこらえず in the last paragraph correctly?
Edit: Oh, yeah, what's with the retainers having three names? Is one of them a title? If so, what do the titles mean?
Last edited by richvh on Thu 11.09.2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby richvh » Tue 11.07.2006 10:12 pm

A few more paragraphs, while I'm at it and have a backlog of transcriptions:

里見冠者義実は、杉倉・堀内の案内で薯ャほどのがれきた。
The young Satomi, Yoshizane, through the guidance of Sugikura and Horinouchi, had up to this time passed through ten towns in his escape.
「父は、どうなされたか」と、義実は幾たびも馬をとめ、あとをふりかえった。ときの声、矢さけびの声がとどろきわたった。もはや結城の城は落ちたらしく、猛火の光が天をこがしている。義実は、このままひきかえそうとしたが、二人の老臣におしとどめられ、むなしくたちさった。
Every time the horses stopped, Yoshizane would say, "I wonder how Father is doing," and turn his head to face the way they had come. The roar of battle cries and screams of the wounded still continued. It seemed that already the castle had fallen, as the light from the roaring blaze lit the heavens. Yoshizane would try to go back, but he was always stopped by the two retainers and they would continue on their way.
 馬壇、鞍懸、柳坂とすぎた。火退林のあたりで、勝ちいくさの鎌倉勢二暑Rばかりがおいかけてきた。義実主従三騎は、これをけちらし、その夜は白室に宿をもとめた。だが、ここも敵の領内である。
They passed through Umade, Kurakake and Yanagizaka. Near Hinokubayashi, they sought an inn at Kusanoya. However, this was still in enemy lands.
 こうして、三日めに相模国三浦の矢取の入江についた。飢えと疲労にあえぐ主従は、松の根に腰をかけ、入江につづく青海原をみた。波はしずかで、白鴎がねむっている。
Continuing in this manner, on the third day they reached Yatori Inlet in Sagaminokuni Miura. Weak with hunger and fatigue, they climbed onto a pine branch and saw the sea that the inlet led to. The waves were quiet, and the white gulls were sleeping.
 堀内蔵人が海のかなたを指さし、あれが安房の山やま、といった。のみと刀でけずったような絶壁の山容を鋸山とよぶ。
Horinouchi Kurando pointed his finger to the other side of the sea and that those were the mountains of Awa. That mountainous cliff that looks like it was cut by a sword is called Nokokiriyama.
 雨がふり、夕べの寺の鐘がなった。安房の国にわたろうとおもったが、一艘の舟もない。木痩?ヘ、とある漁師の門にこうた。
Rain fell, and the evening bells of the temple rang. They wanted to cross over to the land of Awa, but there wasn't even one boat. Kisosuke asked at the gate of a fisherman.
「海をわたる舟はないか。それに、空腹でこまっている。食いものがあれば、ちょうだいできぬか」
"Isn't there a boat that crosses the sea? Besides that, we're starving. If you have some food, can't you give us some?"
 すると、四、五歳の男の子が、
「うちつづく合戦で舟はかりあげられ、漁もできぬ。人のくうものなどない。これでもくらえ」と、土くれをなげつけた。それが義実にあたるかとみえた。義実が右手でうけとめた。
Thereupon a four or five year old boy said, "Our boat has been requisitioned during the long-continuing battle, and we can't fish. There's nothing for people to eat. Here, eat this," and threw a clod of earth. It looked like it might hit Yoshizane. Yoshizane caught it with his right hand.
 木痩?ヘ刀の柄に手をかけ、
「無礼もの!」といった。義実は、
「木痩?Aおとなげなし。きのうはきのう、きょうはきょう。相手になるな。土は国の基なり。われらいま安房にわたるにおよび、天がその国をたまわるきざしかもしれぬ」と、その土くれを三たびいただき、ふところにおさめた。木痩?フ立腹もやんだ。
Kisosuke grabbed the hilt of his sword, saying, "Impertinent brat!", but Yoshizane said, "Kisosuke, he's just a kid. Yesterday was yesterday, today is today. Don't make an enemy. The earth is the foundation of the country. Perhaps this is a sign that we will cross over to Awa, and that heaven will grant us that land," and taking three pieces of the clod, he put them in his bosom. Kisosuke's anger receded.
Last edited by richvh on Thu 11.09.2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Oyaji » Wed 11.08.2006 4:10 am

そのむかし、楠木正成が桜井の駅から、わが子正行をかえしたのとおなじ涙のわかれであった。
It was a tearful farewell reminiscent of when, many years before, Kusonoki Masashige sent his own child Masatsura home from Sakurai Station.

八騎の武士は、一人のこらえずしかばねとなり、季基もまた討死した。
Not even one of the eight warriors was able to survive, and Suemoto was killed as well.

「父は、どうなされたか」と、義実は幾たびも馬をとめ、あとをふりかえった。
Yoshizane stopped his horse many times and looked back, saying "What has become of my father?"

火退林のあたりで、勝ちいくさの鎌倉勢二暑Rばかりがおいかけてきた。義実主従三騎は、これをけちらし、その夜は白室に宿をもとめた。
Near Hinokubayashi at least twenty warriors from Kamakura, having a great advantage, chased after them. Yoshizane's group was able to fight them off, and that night sought lodging at Kusanoya.
Last edited by Oyaji on Wed 11.08.2006 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby richvh » Wed 11.08.2006 3:33 pm

A few more paragraphs.

雨はいっそうはげしくなり、それに稲妻がおこった。さて、雷かと、義実主従は入江の松の下かげに笠をかざしてたった。風雨はますますつよく、あるいは暗く、あるいは明るくなった。波はくだけ、またよせてきた。
The rain became harder, along with thunder and lightning. Yoshizane and his retainer took shelter under the pines of the inlet. The wind and rain grew even stronger, and it was alternately pitch dark and brightly lit. Waves crashed, and piled up again.
 すると、むら雲のわきたつなかに、目にもまばゆく、こつぜんと白竜があらわれた。光をはなち、波をまきたて、南をさしてとびさった。しばらくすると、雨はあがり、雲おさまった。
Thereupon, from within the roiling masses of clouds, dazzling the eyes, a white dragon appeared. Giving off light, which was scattered by the waves, it flew off to the south. Shortly it rose into the south and disappeared into the clouds.
 義実が木痩?ノきいた。
「木痩?A白竜ののぼりを見たか……?」
Yoshizane said to Kisosuke, "Kisosuke, did you see the dragon ascend...?"
 木痩?ヘ、「竜らしきものを見ましたが、その股とかがやく≪うろこ≫とを、わずかに見ただけでした≫とこたえた。義実はうなずき、
「わたしもその尾と足だけを見た。全身を見ないのは、まことにおしい。それ、竜は神物
なり。天子のおん顔を竜顔とたたえ、またおんかたちを竜体ととなえる。おこらせたもうを逆鱗という。みな、これ竜にかたどるものだ。今や白竜、南にさる。白は源氏の服色である。南はすなわち房総、房総は日本のはてだ。わたしはその尾を見て頭を見ず、わずかに彼地を領するだけであろう。木痩?Aおまえは、竜の股を見たという。これはわが股肱の臣ゆえた。そうおもわぬか」
Kisosuke replied, "I saw something like a dragon, but only its thigh and shining scales." Yoshizane nodded, "I also saw only the legs and tail. I really wish I had seen the whole thing. That dragon is Kamitsumono. Extol the face of the Emperor's favor with the dragon's face, and call upon the form of favor with the dragon's body. To anger it is called imperial wrath. Again, this is modeled on the dragon. Since I saw the tail and not the head, means that I will only receive this land. Kisosuke, you say you saw the dragon's thigh. With this, I can name you my right-hand man. Don't you think so?"
 木痩?ヘ、義実の知識に感服し、
「うら若きおん歳で、よく読書なさいました。はて、安房にお供つかまつろうにも、舟はなし。それにしても、堀内貞行はどうしたものか」と、不審におもった。
Kisosuke, impressed by Yoshizane's knowledge, said, "Truly, though you are young in years, you are well read. In the end, though I would serve you even unto Awa, there is no boat. Even if there is one, what has happened to Horinouchi Sadayuki?", thinking he had misunderstood.
「うたがうな、木痩?B主人の難をみすてて逃げはすまい。月の出までまつことだ」と、義実はほほえみをうかべた。
"Don't doubt, Kinosuke. Your lord's flight from his troubles is coming to an end. Just wait until the moonrise," Yoshizane said with a smile.
 海から諸ェ日の月がでた。浦波は黄金をあつめ、玉をしいたようだ。竜宮城とは、このことが、と主従は額に手をかざし、木かげをはなれて、波うちぎわにちかよった。
An 18 day old moon rose from the sea. The breakers seemed to collect the gold, and spread out the jewels. Wondering if that was the Palace of the Dragon King, master and servant raised their hands, left the shelter of the trees, and approached the beach.
 そこへ、舟一艘、水崎のかなたより矢のようにこぎでた。そのこぎ手のそばにたつのは、堀内蔵人である。
A single boat was being rowed from the direction of Misaki straight for their location. Standing next to the oarsman was Suginouchi Kurando.
「舟をかりもとめに水崎までまいりました。やっと漁舟をかりましたが、空腹であられるかと飯をかしがせたものの、雷雨がはげしくなり、ついに遅参いたしました」
"I had to go all the way to Mizaki to find a boat to borrow. At long last I found a fishing boat, but what with finding something to eat, and the storm becoming violent, I ended up being late."
「蔵人、おまえがいなかったら安房へはわたれなかったろう。土くれのたまもの、白竜の吉祥、それらの話は舟のなかでしよう」というと、こぎ手が手をあげ、さしまねいていった。
「月も風もよろしゅうございます。おはやく舟におのりなさいませ」
When he said, "Kurando, if it weren't for you we probably would not be able to cross over to Awa. The gift of the earth clod, and the omen of the white dragon, let us speak of these things on the boat," the oarsman lifted his hand and beckoned, saying, "Both the moon and the wind are in our favor. Please, quickly board."
 義実主従が舟にのると、こぎ手はともづなをなぐり、棹をとると、舟は安房をさして走った。
When Satomi and his retainer had boarded, the oarsman cast off the line, picked up his oar, and pointed the boat toward Awa.

I'm not too sure about Yoshizane's description of the dragon, and Kurando's description of his attempt to find food in Misaki (among other things), but that wraps up the first episode.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby coco » Wed 11.08.2006 10:58 pm

お供をつまつります。
お供をつまつります。(お供を仕ります)

以下Posted on 07-11-2006 21:12 から

「町」は、面積を浮キ(当時の)助数詞です。>薯ャ

もはや結城の城は落ちたしく
もはや結城の城は落ちたしく

二人の老臣におしとどめられ、なしくたちさった。
なしくたちさった。(虚しく立ち去った)
「虚しい」の説明は難しい。 :p

勝ちいくさの鎌倉勢二暑Rばかりがおいかけてきた。義実主従三騎は、これをけちらし、

Oyajiさんのご説明でたぶん、お分かりだと思いますが
「ほぼ戦いに勝った鎌倉勢(ここでは敵の軍)が、二暑Rほど(約二暑R)追いかけてきた。義実主従三騎(義実+老臣2名)は、これ(追手)を蹴散らし、〜」の意味です。

松の根に腰をかけ→松の根に座り(地面にあります)

「木痩?Aおとなげなし。」→「木痩?B大人げないぞ」
(「木痩?A(お前まで)子供のようだぞ」)
意味を踏まえた上で、意訳したのであれば、すみません。

−−−
楽しませていただいてます。 :)
単なるタイポの指摘は、不要と思いますので今後は止めておきます。
「一人のこらえず」などは危険だし^^;

=======
追記:
Richさん。
念のためですが、この現代語訳の引用、著作権に関して問題のないものですよね。
Last edited by coco on Wed 11.08.2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby coco » Thu 11.09.2006 8:43 am

Posted on 07-11-2006 21:12 の追加です。

その土くれを三たびいただき、ふところにおさめた。
その土塊を三度いただき、懐に収めた。
この場合の「いただく」は、手にした土を目の上まで持っていくという
仕種を3度行うことだと思います。
Oyajiさん、英語でそれに相当するものはありますか?

国立国会図書館のデータベースに1912年の訳があり、web上で見ることができます。
(全文引用でも問題のないものです)
目次から
〔二〕 白竜雲を挟みて南に帰く
に行くと、ちょうど、この内容のあたりが見られます。
---
Posted on 08-11-2006 14:33 から。

空腹であられるかと飯をかしがせたものの、
義実殿が空腹なのではないかと(「空腹である」の敬語阜サ)
飯をかしがせ=飯を炊かせ ((誰かに)米を炊かせて) 

げきりん【逆鱗】
    {文章語}(逆に生えた竜のうろこの意で,これにふれると竜が怒る故事から)天子の怒り。  

みな、これ竜にかたどるものだ。
1912発行訳だと
是皆、竜に象る也になっています。
これらはみんな、竜にかたどって(竜のたとえを使って)いる。

源氏の服の色。
(源氏の服の色である白(の竜)は、縁起がよい。)
---
その股とかがやく≪うろこ≫とを、わずかに見ただけでした≫
この現代文は、会話文体に苦労があったようですね。
1912年版:怪しき物の股かとおぼしく、照り輝くこと鱗の如きを僅かに見て候。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby richvh » Thu 11.09.2006 9:46 am

The original text of the first 30 episodes is at this site in HTML and PDF form (it's better to use the PDF, as some characters aren't in the JIS character set so can't be reproduced in the HTML), which I think is easier to use than the National Library's photo-image version which Coco linked to above. I've tried using it to crosscheck some words, but finding my place in the classical Japanese can be a problem.

Here's the start of episode 2:

第二回 賊臣の城……景連・信時の密談
Episode 2: The Castle of Traitors... The Conspiracy of Kagetsura and Nobutoki
 安房は、もと総国の南のはてである。上代には上下の区別はなかったが、のちに上総・下総と名づけられた。土地はひろく豊かで、クワの木がおおかった。で、養獅ェさかんである。そのむかし、阿波の国から民がうつりすみ、安房と称した。
Originally, Awa was the southern tip of Fusanokuni. In ancient times there was no distinction drawn between the upper and lower sections, but later the names of Kazusa and Shimofusa were attached to them. The land was wide and fertile, and mulberry trees abounded. Much silk was produced. Long before, since the inhabitants had come from the land of Awa, it was given the name of Awa.
 治承三年(一一七九年)秋、源頼朝が源氏再興の旗をあげたものの石橋山にやぶれ、ここ安房にのがれた。このおり、安房の主人麻呂五郎信俊・安西三郎景盛・東条七郎秋則の三人がその道案内にたち、無二のこころざしをあらわした。源氏が天下統一をとげたあと、頼朝はかの三人に安房四郡をわけあたえた。以来、平安な歳月がながれたともいえる。
In the fall of the third year of the Jishou era, which Christians call 1179, when Minamoto Yoritomo raised the flag of the Minamoto Restoration at Ishibashiyama, he fled to Awa. At that time, Maro Gorou Nobutoshi, Anzai Saburou Kagemori and Toujou Shichirou Akinori, the three lords of Awa, gave him their support and showed peerless spirit. When the Minamoto clan unified the country, Yoritomo distributed the four parts of Awa among these three men. After that, peace reigned for many years.
 義実主従がこの地にたどりついたころはどうか。
What was the situation when Yoshizane and his retainers arrived in this land?
 平群の滝田城主は東条氏一族、神余長狭介光弘、館山城主は安西三郎大夫景連、平館城主は麻呂小五郎兵衛信時の代である。
At that time, the master of Takita Castle in Heguri was Jin'yo Nagasanosuke Mitsuhiro of the Toujou clan, the master of Tateyama Castle was Anzai Saburou Tayuu Kagetsura, and the master of Hiradate Castle was Maro Kogorou Hyoue Nobutoki.
 このうち、神余光弘のいきおいがもっともさかんで、本家東条の領地もあわせて所領し、安西・麻呂の両家をおさえていた。安房の国に半分の領主である。当主光弘は、慢心し、酒色の日々をかさねていた。数おおい女側のなかで、とくに玉梓という女を寵愛した。
Among these, Jin'yo Mitsuhiro's power had increased the most, and besides the original territory of the Toujous, he had seized land from the Anzai and Maro families. He was the master of half of all Awa. Lord Mitsuhiro was proud and given to debauchery for days on end. Among his many concubines, the woman called Tamazusa held his affections.
 玉梓は神余の家来たちの賞罰にも口をさしはさんだ。そのため、こころあるものは光弘をすてさり、のこるはたくらみをもつものだけである。
Tamazusa influenced the rewards and punishments of the Jin'yo retainers. Hence, those with genuine affection for Mitsuhiro left, and all that remained were schemers.
 のこったものに、山下柵左衛門定包というものがいた。この男は、色白く、眉ひいで、鼻高く、唇赤く、ことばづかいもやわらかい。それが玉梓にへつらい、ついには情をつうじた。
Among those remaining was Yamashita Sakuzaemon Sadakane. This man was fair of skin, with bushy brows, a high nose, red lips and tender of speech. With these he flattered Tamazusa, and finally won her heart.
 この密通を、光弘は知らなかった、そればかりか、支配を柵左衛門にまかせるしまつである。それゆえ、柵左衛門は主人光弘を無視し、百姓に重税を課した。
Mitsuhiro was unaware of this infedility, and besides that entrusted Sakuzaemon with the management of his lands. Therefore, Sakuzaemon ignored Lord Mitsuhiro and imposed high taxes on the peasants.
 ここ滝田の近村蒼海巻杣木朴平という百姓がすんでいた。このものは、武術にすぐれ、気概のある男である。なかまの洲崎無垢三とかたらい、神余の乱れで民百姓のくるしむのは、柵左衛門の所行であるとし、これをうちとることにした。
In a village near Takita lived a peasant named Aomiko Somaki Bokuhei. This man was skilled in the martial arts, and had a strong spirit. He talked to his partner Sugiki Mukuzou about the peasants suffering from the disorder of the Jin'yo, and the misdeeds of Sakuzaemon, and planned to kill him.
Last edited by richvh on Thu 11.09.2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby richvh » Sat 11.11.2006 10:14 pm

A few more paragraphs.

無垢三がいった。
「柵左衛門が遊山のおりは、従者もすくないだろう。その日をまとう」
Mukuzou said, "When Sakuzaemon goes out on an excursion, he probably won't have many followers. Let's wait for that day."
 だが柵左衛門は朴平らの密議を探知していた。外出には従者をふやし、夜歩きはさけた。
However, Sakuzaemon had detected Bokuhei's conspiracy. He increased the number of his attendants during his outings, and avoiding walking around at night.
 いっぽう、光弘の乱行はかわらなかった。その光弘が、こういった。
「しばらく城外にでなかった。あしたは、ひさしぶりに狩りをしよう」
Meanwhile, Mitsuhiro's debauchery continued unabated. He said, "It's been a while since I've been out of the castle. Since I haven't been hunting for quite a while, let's go hunting tomorrow."
 柵左衛門定包は、「ちょうど、百姓は耕作にいそがしいころなので、おしのびでまいりましょう。むろん、わたしもお供つかまつります」とこたえた。
Sakuzaemon Sadakane replied, "Since the peasants are busy farming now, let's go in secret. I'll serve as your attendant."
「もっともなことだ。従者の数をはぶくがいい」と、光弘はいった。
"That's just the thing. We should limit the number of followers," Mitsuhiro said.
 その狩りの前日、柵左衛門は城からさがると、自分の屋敷に落羽・青麦の村長らをひそかに集めて命じた。
The day before the hunt, when Sakuzaemon left the castle, he secretly ordered the village elders of Ochiba and Aomuki to gather at his manor.
「わしは、たまの休暇をえたので、あすは、しかじかのところにいってタカをはなそうとおもう。おまえたちは、さようこころえよ」
"Since I've gotten a rare holiday, I'm planning on hawking at thus and such a place. Take note of this."
 村長たちは、それぞれの村に走り、そのむねを村じゅうにふれた。むろん、杣木朴平・無垢三の耳にもたっした。両人は、
「ようやく、そのときがきた。あしたこそ」とよろこび、弓失*をもち、その夜半、落羽畷の東北の夏草のしげった丘に身をかくした。古松が盾ともなる。
The village elders hurried back to their respective villages and spread the information throughout the villages. Of course, it came to the ears of Somaki Bokuhei and Mukuzou. The two of them rejoiced, "Finally, the day has come. It's tomorrow." Taking their bows and arrows, they hid themselves where the summer grass grew thick on a hill north-east of Ochibanawate. They were also shielded by old pines.

*I suspect this should be 弓矢, but it's definitely 弓失 in the edition I'm using.
Last edited by richvh on Sun 11.12.2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby richvh » Sun 11.12.2006 5:19 pm

A few more paragraphs.

ニワトリのなき声が暁をずげた。光弘は、那古七郎、天津兵内ら近習のもの八、九人を左右にしたがえて、滝田の城をでた。山下柵左衛門定包も、白馬にのり、したがった。
A rooster's cry hailed the dawn. Mitsuhiro, accompanied by 8 or 9 attendants including Nako Shichirou and Amatsu Hyounai, left Takita Castle. Yamashita Sakuzaemon Sadakane also accompanied him, riding a white horse.
 光弘主従が薯ャばかりにさしかかると、光弘ののった馬が、突如、前足をおってばたとふせた。光弘もころびかかったが、那古七郎、天津兵内があわててたすけおこした。柵左衛門がこの馬に、毒のまじった《かいば》をくわせておいたからである。
Lord Mitsuhiro and his followers had barely gone a thousand yards when the forelegs of the horse that Mitsuhiro was riding suddenly collapsed. Mitsuhiro also fell, but Nako Shichirou and Amatsu Hyounai hurriedly helped him up. This was because Sakuzaemon had arranged for fodder mixed with poison to be fed to this horse.
 柵左衛門は自分の白馬からひらりとおり、光弘に「おしのびの狩りなので、おのりかえの馬は用意してございません。わたしの馬をおつかいなされませ」といった。光弘はうなずき、柵左衛門の白馬にのり、あぶみをならし、馬の足をはやめた。
Sakuzaemon nimbly dismounted from his white horse and said to Mitsuhiro, "Because this is a secret hunt, we didn't prepare a horse for you to switch to. Please use my horse." Mitsuhiro nodded, mounted Sakuzaemon's white horse, adjusted the stirrups, and rode off.
 そして、夏草のおおい落羽畷のほとり、落羽が丘にさしかかった。ここには、杣木朴平・洲崎無垢三が柵左衛門をうつべく身をふせていた。
And then, he approached Ochiba Hill near Ochibanawate where the summer grass grew thick. That is where Somaki Bokuhei and Suzaki Mukuzou lay hidden intending to attack Sakuzaemon.
「白馬にのってきたからには、まごおうこともない。山下柵左衛門定包だ」と、朴平が弓に矢をつがえ、きりきりとひきしぼり、ひょうとはなった。一の矢は、ねらいたがわず光弘の胸を射た。光弘は落馬した。無垢三が二の矢をはなち、これはのどを射た。光弘は絶命した。
Since he's riding a white horse, there is no doubt. That is Yamashita Sakuzaemon Sadakane," Bokuhei said as he nocked and arrow and drew his bow. The first arrow stuck Mitsuhiro in the breast, and he fell from his horse. Mukuzou released a second arrow, which struck him in the neck. Mitsuhiro was dead.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to History and Literature Discussions