Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Black people in Japan

Black people in Japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Black people in Japan

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Sun 11.12.2006 4:56 pm

I want to go to Japan soon . Do you think a black person would be extremely strange in Japan or get stared at?
kyo_sora_forever

RE: Black people in Japan

Postby clay » Sun 11.12.2006 5:00 pm

I think there is a thread or two about this. Do a quick search (hint hint).

I don't think you will have any problems, but yes, you may get some stares especially in areas away from major cities where there isn't a large international community. I had a friend who lived in Hokkaido. He told me an obaasan literally fell off her bike turning her head to look at him.

But again, don't worry about it.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Kenjiro » Sun 11.12.2006 5:18 pm

So I wonder if we really tall black people would freak them out?
Kenjiro
Kenjiro

Postby Sumi » Sun 11.12.2006 5:27 pm

If your worrying about that then you shouldn't go. Just go to Japan and have fun, don't worry about people who'll stare at you. I'm mixed (my mother is African American, my father is Japanese). I get more stares here in the States than I did in Japan.

Just have fun, like I said. Don't worry about stuff like that.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby datdo » Sun 11.12.2006 5:49 pm

I was wondering when someone was going to make this thread. Now I can whip this out....wait.....its in my pants somewhere............almost there...................aaaaa here we go: http://www.gaijinsmash.org You can judge the usefullness<sp> of the link.
Last edited by datdo on Sun 11.12.2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datdo

Postby tanuki » Sun 11.12.2006 5:54 pm

datdo wrote:
Now I can whip this out....wait.....its in my pants somewhere............almost there...................aaaaa

:o :o :o :o
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby punkgrl326 » Sun 11.12.2006 6:14 pm

datdo wrote:
I was wondering when someone was going to make this thread. Now I can whip this out....wait.....its in my pants somewhere............almost there...................aaaaa here we go: http://www.gaijinsmash.org You can judge the usefullness<sp> of the link.

Taken from here:

Gaijin Smash - I can't take credit for the Gaijin Smash, it was my friend's creation. Which is what led to this whole thing. But anyway, the Gaijin Smash is basically just us exerting our inheritant dominance over the Japanese people. We do what we want and they can't stop us, and we have them do what we want cause they can't stand up to us. It's beautiful. It's hard to specifically define Gaijin Smash, so I'll just give you some examples....

That's a bold gaijin right there...or at least a very crazy one :o
Last edited by punkgrl326 on Sun 11.12.2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby mangamanzero » Sun 11.12.2006 7:06 pm

Wait... im black and when i read the title to this thread i went AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

what the heck "its in my pants"... funny very, and original datdo

im black and as SOON as i read this i thought of my brothers favorite show, pokemon(not so cool) and of brock tha only black guy on the show, so i thought, yeah we're probavly not too numerous ANYWHERE unless ur talkin' CT Hartford Georgia some tropical places and such or other places
Ok we are kinda numerous but...
bla bla bla bla bla...

(rambling) :|
i'm MegaMangaMan's brother
(he's not cool though)
mangamanzero

Postby Sumi » Sun 11.12.2006 7:41 pm

tanuki wrote:
datdo wrote:
Now I can whip this out....wait.....its in my pants somewhere............almost there...................aaaaa

:o :o :o :o

Oh my, now isn't he one dirty boy?
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby 100PercentWeasel » Sun 11.12.2006 8:11 pm

Sumi wrote:
If your worrying about that then you shouldn't go. Just go to Japan and have fun, don't worry about people who'll stare at you. I'm mixed (my mother is African American, my father is Japanese). I get more stares here in the States than I did in Japan.

Just have fun, like I said. Don't worry about stuff like that.

Pix pls. (seriously)
There is none more cunning than the weasel.
100PercentWeasel

Postby Fukumori » Sun 11.12.2006 8:32 pm

Uhhhhhh...(wonders how such an honest thread became so criminal) Well, I saw this and thought I should tell you you ought to say "African-American" (although I guess it depends on where you live)... but, it's your call.
ぜったい森をまもって!
Fukumori

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.12.2006 10:11 pm

Trust me black white yellow brown if your not japanese they will stare at you regardless...
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby leemcd56 » Sun 11.12.2006 10:39 pm

I highly doubt it would be weird, because their are a lot of black people in Japan.
leemcd56

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.12.2006 11:56 pm

Fukumori wrote:
Uhhhhhh...(wonders how such an honest thread became so criminal) Well, I saw this and thought I should tell you you ought to say "African-American" (although I guess it depends on where you live)... but, it's your call.

There are more Africans than African-Americans in Japan.

In the Tokyo-Yokohama region, there are plenty of black people. No one will be scared of you or poke you with a stick or anything. You'll be subject to the same foreigner prejudices all us white people are, but you probably won't be treated much differently than white people are (although you'll get attention from all the people who like hip-hop. They don't pay any attention to me just cuz I'm white!).
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby C0kaCoLa » Mon 11.13.2006 3:56 am

I heard that Japan has a system where they dont take in imigrants easily.. Is that true?
C0kaCoLa

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion