Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Firefly

Firefly

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Firefly

Postby Kuraara » Sun 11.12.2006 10:33 pm

Has anyone here seen this show? Or at least heard of it?

It was a great SciFi show a while ago. It could have been bigger Star Trek according to lots of people. It only lasted one season though because Fox aired random episodes at random times forcing it to be canceled.

If you've ever heard of Serenity the movie, this is the TV series it was based off of.
[center]Image[/center]
Kuraara

RE: Firefly

Postby kanadajin » Sun 11.12.2006 10:58 pm

Huh? Firefly? Never heard of it. Whats it about?
kanadajin

Postby mamba » Sun 11.12.2006 11:18 pm

I remember watching Serenity but I barely remember it because it just didnt click, for me. And bigger than Star Trek? I dont think so, imo.
mamba

Postby Infidel » Sun 11.12.2006 11:35 pm

yea, my roomate got a hold of the tv series. It really rocked. Too bad they discontinued it. I really liked the rogue cowboys in space theme.

as I understand, the reason it got discontinued was because it was never really given a chance. The network played the episodes out of order and change the air-times randomly with no warning. Unfortunatly, the network execs blame the show, even though it was handled so poorly.

I like shows with anti-heroes. None of the "good guys" matched up with typical definitions, heck, the main character's love interest was a practicing courtesian.

Put in perspective, first generation star treck vs Firefly, firefly showed much more potential than Star Trek did.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 11.12.2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Mon 11.13.2006 2:33 am

Infidel wrote:
as I understand, the reason it got discontinued was because it was never really given a chance. The network played the episodes out of order and change the air-times randomly with no warning. Unfortunatly, the network execs blame the show, even though it was handled so poorly.

That's exactly what FOX did with Family Guy (a show that I personally rate above the Simpsons). They wouldn't keep that awesome, hilarious show in one place and killed it. Then Cartoon Network pulled it up and made it the huge hit it is now. Hopefully some other station will clean up after FOX's crappy judgement again and give the show the glory it deserves.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 11.13.2006 2:40 am

kanadajin wrote:

Plot outline for the TV series Firefly on which the movie Serenity was based;

"Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small, mobile, spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them"

There was also an unrelated movie Firefly (ほたる - 蛍)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.13.2006 3:08 am

chikara wrote:
kanadajin wrote:

Plot outline for the TV series Firefly on which the movie Serenity was based;

"Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small, mobile, spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them"

Star Trek meets The A-Team.

BFD.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.13.2006 1:15 pm

I *loved* Firefly. Best SF show I've seen in a while. Heart. Characters that you cared about. Genuinely witty writing. Excellent camera work. Mike, send me your address and I'll inflict Firefly on you.

I have a desktop wallpaper that shows scenes of Firefly and bears the legend, "Firefly: the SF show that makes certain Fox execs look all manner of stupid."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.13.2006 1:20 pm

Firefly was/is definately is a good SF program.. and to be honest, what's wrong with Star Trek meets the A-Team? it's not like Mr. Shattner or Mr. T are in it.
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.13.2006 2:15 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Star Trek meets The A-Team.

BFD.

Oh no, the A-Team was some sort of moden Paladins out to right wrongs. The crew of Firefly only righted wrongs if there was some sort of paycheck involved that was bigger than what they could get by smuggling, their normal profitable activitiy.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby neo2407 » Mon 11.13.2006 3:54 pm

I've seen Serenity, and I love it. Anyone noticed that there's quite a bit of Japanese (writing) in Serenity? Watch it closely and you'll notice it.
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.13.2006 5:59 pm

The crew of Firefly only righted wrongs if there was some sort of paycheck involved that was bigger than what they could get by smuggling, their normal profitable activitiy.

Sheriff: I understand how it is. Times are tough. Jobs hard to find. A man's offered a job.... well, maybe he don't look too close at what the job is. But then when he finds out, he has a choice to make.
Mal: No, sir, I don't believe he does.

Mal: What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.

Shepherd Book: If you touch that young lady, you're going to a special hell. One reserved for child molesters and people who talk in theaters.
Mal: Oh..... I'm going to the special hell.

Simon Tam: This must be what going insane feels like.
Wash: Can we go to the backwards planet where *I'm* a hero?

Zoe (seeing Mal fighting a losing fight with a bodyguard): No, Jayne. This is something the captain has to do by himself.
Mal (screaming frantically): No! No, it isn't!!
Zoe: Oh, well, then.... (opens fire)

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Mon 11.13.2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby paul_b » Mon 11.13.2006 6:21 pm

Kuraara wrote:
It only lasted one season though because Fox aired random episodes at random times forcing it to be canceled.

BBC treated Doctor Who pretty shabbily. For decades they left it off air except for the odd Christmas special mini-thing and milked the fans for everything they could (DVDs, books, ...). They finally brought it back but it had been so long that they obviously didn't quite have the idea what they were working with.

Now they've got the spinoff Torchwood - the fourth episode ("Cyberwoman") just about persuaded me to give up on it completely. >_<

I might catch the next episode to see if it's showing any signs of getting better.
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.13.2006 6:49 pm

AJBryant wrote:

Zoe (seeing Mal fighting a losing fight with a bodyguard): No, Jayne. This is something the captain has to do by himself.
Mal (screaming frantically): No! No, it isn't!!
Zoe: Oh, well, then.... (opens fire)

Tony

Yes, there were many bust out laughing moments in every episode, and it wasn't a comedy. Classic.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.13.2006 7:50 pm

I still love the scene with the henchman who was NOT in a position to be threatening Mal with vengeance (hint: never sit too close to the engine intake) when Mal was clearly not in a mood to be threatened. :)

As for Torchwood: I'm still up in the air. I really do think that the writer/producer is overplaying his hand (he was one of the moving forces on HBO's "Queer as Folk", if you didn't know) so he's really into that whole homo-/bi-/omnisexual thing. Personally, I find the writer's moralizing to be getting in the way of the stories, and I fear for the failure of Torchwood (which was a cool idea).

Oh, I really liked Chris Eccleston as the Doctor. He's now my favorite (despite his short tenure), seconded by a tie between Pertwee and Baker(Tom). Tennant comes next.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Japanese Movies and Music