fbpx

0 Comments

March 15, 2022

「阻む」 と「 拒む」 はどう違いますか

Introduction

Maybe it is just me (Clay), but I have always had a hard time distinguishing 「阻む」 (to hinder; to prevent) and 「拒む」 (to refuse). The first is pronounced "habamu" and the second is "kobamu." 

(はば)

to hinder; to prevent; to block

(こば)

to refuse; to reject

The two bamus!

Worse their meanings are similar and the pitch accent is the same haBAmu and koBAmu in standard Japanese.

While these are fairly intermediate level vocabulary words, I think even beginners should go through this deep dive with me. Japanese is chock full of these kind of similar but different words, and it is a good idea to start keeping the tricky ones in mind early on. Very often, the pronunciation is the same and the overall meaning is the same, but depending on the kanji, the usage is slightly different.

Let's start by examining the kanji.

Kanji

Use the mnemonic story below to remember the meaning.

Kun: はば.む
On: ソ
thwart; separate from; prevent; obstruct; deter; impede

A mound 阝 of food on a sideways plate 皿 prevents me from losing weight.

Kun: こば.む
On: キョ、 ゴ

repel; refuse; reject; decline

A HUGE 巨 hand 扌 sticks out meaning rejection.

Keeping in mind these two mnemonic stories will help separate them:

• 阻 A mound of food on a sideways plate prevents me from losing weight. 
  • 拒 He stuck out a HUGE hand to decline the offer

Main Meaning

This may be an oversimplification, but はばむ involves an act to stop or hinder the action of someone or something.

こばむ, on the other hand, involves a decision (to refuse an act). The person chooses to reject something.

• (はば)む to keep someone from doing; to stop; to prevent; to check; to hinder; to obstruct; to oppose; to thwart 
  • (こば)む to refuse; to reject; to decline

Example Sentences

はばむ to keep someone from doing

(かれ)らは(おお)きな(かわ)前進(ぜんしん)(はば)まれた。

Their progress was stopped by a wide river.

Vocabulary & Notes

こばむ to refuse; to reject; to decline

彼女(かのじょ)(かれ)らが(もと)めたことを(こば)んだ。

She refused to do what they asked.

Vocabulary & Notes

Example Words

Let's learn a few useful vocabulary words with the kanji.

阻 Words

Remember: 阻 means "to hinder" or "to impede" [mound of food on a plate hinders my diet]

阻止(そし)

obstruction; check; hindrance; prevention; impediment; interdiction; preemption; blocking [阻 (hinder) + 止 (stop)]

阻害(そがい)

obstruction; impediment; hindrance; inhibition; blocking; check [阻 (hinder) + 害 (harm)]

拒 Words

Remember: 拒 means "to refuse" or "to reject" [A huge hand refuses the offer]

拒否(きょひ)

refusal; rejection; denial; veto [拒 (refuse) + 否 (no)]

拒絶(きょぜつ)

refusal; rejection [拒 (refuse) + 絶 (sever)]

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>