Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ps3

ps3

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

RE: ps3

Postby Jim » Wed 11.15.2006 8:58 am

Ingenuis! What better way to beat the Wii's weird new controller then with two cans on a string. Cant wait to play Final Fantasy XIII now for the ps3, with that new techonology.
私は日本語の大学生です, アイルランド人です
Jim

Postby mamba » Wed 11.15.2006 9:05 pm

"as you have to buy the HD Player separately. Ive read that it will be ~200$ so You pay more than for a Playstation 3 with 60gb" You left out 1 word "could". You could buy it. Which is why I favor Microsoft over Sony, because they give you options. The reason with Sony is thats its shoving you with Blu-ray, and all those other extra stuff that ashitaka-san mentioned before, that, as a gamer, I don't want to have on my gaming console - thats what my PC is for. Then Sony tries to reason, well its $599, but look at all teh features!!

"If you have more space you can use uncompressed Textures ect That it runs faster." Your right there, but you forgot that PS3 is only 1 processor (it favors uncompressed textures), while x360 has 3 core processors running at 3.2 GHz each (hyperthread FTW, compressed textures = no problem). Just my theory, but if PS3 tries to run an x360 compressed texture game with 1 processor, it will probably stutter and skip. If a x360 runs PS3 game with uncompressed textures with 3 processors - thats true 120FPS @ 1080p right there...

Hope to not sound like a fanboy, but I think most of those are fact, except the "my theory" part.
mamba

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Wed 11.15.2006 9:30 pm

Personally, I'm a Nintendo type of girl but I do have a 360, and I am very satisfyed with it (oh sweet sweet oblivion, how thou art good to me) but I also plan on getting a Wii. I was never planing on getting a ps3, there was just nothing I was really interested in. I'm really not that interested in all the extra stuff they threw on. I don't need all that stuff, all I want to do is play some video games. $600 is too much of a price tag to just amuse myself for a while. I'll stick with Nintendo and Microsft thanks.

Those are some high tech cans though.
There are no dumb questions, therefore, they are all of equal stupidity.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby kanadajin » Wed 11.15.2006 10:11 pm

PS3
Best graphics, most powerfull, 200GB game disks, SIXAXIS, HDTV, full Browser, Can run modern OS (Mac OS, Windows, linux.) Playback compatable, quiet

Ummm, I think 360 has the best graphics, you just have to have the right tv.
kanadajin

Postby ashitaka » Thu 11.16.2006 1:32 am

also blu-ray is 25 gigs not 200, 50 if they want to get fancy.

Sony has 200 gig disks but they wont be useing them for at least a year since no game or movie is that big,
PROS
biggest library of games.
PS3
best graphics, backwords compatabel, SIXAXIS, most powerfull, biggest game disks, most options, and can use pc and mac os systems.
Wii
It's a Wii.......Thats good enough. backwords compatable, controller, Wiiconnect24.
CONS
not backwords compatable (mostly all titles) graphics were good but not compared to other consoles, no motion sensing, very loud, fees for online play.
PS3
Pricetag! (altough still VERY low for a blueray player and all its options.)
Wii
not as good graphics, 512MB flash drive.

The 360 is really a 6.5 gen console not a 7th one.
It really comes down to your prefrence.
Power, graphics=PS3
Available games=260
awsome controlls and stuff=Wii

The Wii is really in a seperate competition, it's very different from anyother console, shouldn't even be part of the console wars! CONTROLER is what it's all about!
ashitaka

Postby aKuMu » Thu 11.16.2006 3:36 am

mamba wrote:
"as you have to buy the HD Player separately. Ive read that it will be ~200$ so You pay more than for a Playstation 3 with 60gb" You left out 1 word "could". You could buy it. Which is why I favor Microsoft over Sony, because they give you options. The reason with Sony is thats its shoving you with Blu-ray, and all those other extra stuff that ashitaka-san mentioned before, that, as a gamer, I don't want to have on my gaming console - thats what my PC is for. Then Sony tries to reason, well its $599, but look at all teh features!!

Well, later the 360 games will be on HD Disk, so, yes, you NEED to buy it if you want to play new games.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 4:36 am

Wii may have a cheaper price tag up front, but with the subscrption model of theirs, will cost the most in the long run. Xbox 360 comes in second, with PS3 being cheapest in the long run.

Nintendo is doing what nintendo always does. Puts out a bunch of crappy games. I've already looked at the entire game lineup planned until the end of the year and there are only 2 games worth spending money on. The rest are the usual kiddie fare. I might end up getting a wii if I have too much trouble finding a PS3. At least I can play Zelda and that sword game, red something or other.

I want to play fully half of the PS3 lineup. So the answer for me is clearly PS3. It doesn't matter if how great the gameplay if a football game is if I can't stand football games. Although if I could get PS3 games with the Wii console, then Wii would be a clear winner, the controllers is where wii clearly pulls ahead of the pack.

In theory, Wii should put out games the fastest because they have more developers already in on the project, 360 second and third because they've had a year head start, and PS3 dead last because it is the most difficult to progam the games for. KOEI will have one game ready for PS3 at launch, with 2 more being developed, and KOEI is one of the labels I'll gladly buy a console to play their games. KOEI has made a game for 360, but I don't feel like owning 2 consoles.

As it stands currently, 360 cannot beat ps3 graphically, although the upper limits of 360 graphics has not been reached. First generation games are usually ports from the previous standard with a few tenative improvements. It will probably be next year before developers seriously take full advantage of what any console has to offer, and another year for PS3.

My roomate said, and I'm starting to agree with him, that PCs are losing the Gaming wars. With this new generation of games, motion sensing tech is eliminating the advantage mouse and keyboard give for strategy and FPS games. Once I get my PS3, I'll probably stop buying PC games all together and use it only for surfing and office programs.

As for saying Sony will lose the war, I don't think so. Every sony has been released at about $200 more than the competition each time there was a release. I really think they just appeal to a different market, like coke and pepsi, and all three consoles will stick around.

360 has a bunch of good games already out, and calling Gears of War awesome is probably an insult it is so good. My problem with Microsoft is that everything seems to be extra. I'd rather pay more up front and have everything included, than be stuck with a defective system that costs much more to upgrade piecemeal than would have cost to buy in one package.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 11.16.2006 4:56 am

i'll never buy anything from Sony for a long time...

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/14/sony_anticustomer_te.html
http://news.com.com/FAQ+Sonys+rootkit+CDs/2100-1029_3-5946760.html

Sony == Evil; Micro$loth == Evil; guess it's Wii for me as the lesser of three evils.

plus, the whole BlueRay thing is over-hyped, undecided and will probably fail because of all of the DRM features. one day you'll find that somebody has decided that you can't play that game or movie you bought anymore, and it just won't work anymore and you'll be screwed. stuck with the Betamax of the 21st century. plus, it will take a good long time for the developers to wrap their heads around coding for the PS3 technology.

if you want a PS3, you should probably wait a year or so.. let the price come down, the developers learn to handle the tech, and see which new DVD technology becomes standard (if any) before sinking tons of $$ into a game machine.
zengargoyle

Postby mr_pain » Thu 11.16.2006 5:57 am

Infidel wrote : "I want to play fully half of the PS3 lineup. "
Youre in luck then because only have the line up is being published *grin*

The latest revelation regarding the PS3 downscaling 720p games to 480p rather than upscaling to 1080i (if your TV doesnt support 720p) about sums up the PS3. Sony have cut so many corners in order to put the Blu-ray drive in there that it has really suffered as games console. ( For the non-techs : if you have an older HDTV theres a possibility the graphics on the PS3 will be no better than those on the Wii).

I should have been hyped about the PS3 - instead I consider it to be a turkey!

PERSONALLY, Im upgrading my PC and getting a Wii for this gen. With an 8800 (graphics card) HD+ resolutions are easily possible so Im already considering the PS3/XBox 360s graphics to be decidedly last gen and the Wii just looks fun fun fun!!
mr_pain

Postby hyperconjugated » Thu 11.16.2006 6:27 am

Last edited by hyperconjugated on Thu 11.16.2006 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Rounin T » Thu 11.16.2006 12:29 pm

Infidel wrote:
As for saying Sony will lose the war, I don't think so. Every sony has been released at about $200 more than the competition each time there was a release.

But I think the PS2 was extremely successful because it was released first. Despite having the worst specs of last gen, it got a good foothold early on and had by far the most games available throughout. This time around, it's exactly the opposite -- great specs, but late and with fewer games. I'm a little scared for Sony myself, and won't be buying a PS3 during the first 18 months.
Rounin T

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.16.2006 12:46 pm

the xbox 360 is a joke.. and so is the ps3. i have used the 360 and it's no different than my regular xbox..

microsoft and sony really bought it on this one. the Wii at 250 dollars is no comparison.. backwards compatibility, cheaper and it's nintendo.. it just blows the others away..

http://wii.com/

do your own homework and see for yourself.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 11.16.2006 2:10 pm

Rounin T wrote:
But I think the PS2 was extremely successful because it was released first.

The PS2 was successful (in Japan) because it had a DVD player built in. That was the single deciding factor for most people. I have a feeling the Wii is going to kick all other consoles' collective arses, sales-wise.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 3:51 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
the xbox 360 is a joke.. and so is the ps3. i have used the 360 and it's no different than my regular xbox..

microsoft and sony really bought it on this one. the Wii at 250 dollars is no comparison.. backwards compatibility, cheaper and it's nintendo.. it just blows the others away..

http://wii.com/

do your own homework and see for yourself.

Dude, check out Gears of War and say that again.

As I said earlier, for about the first year of a new console launch the graphics and gameplay improvemnts are very tenative, it's usually the games that come out 6mos - 1yr after the new console launch that really show off a now console's capabilities. If you check out the 360 games comming out currently, you'll see what I mean.

I went to wii.com the other day, it was great seeing people intuitively learn how to play with the controllers. My problem with nintendo has always been the game lineup, they always seem to shine everywhere else.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 3:52 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Rounin T wrote:
But I think the PS2 was extremely successful because it was released first.

The PS2 was successful (in Japan) because it had a DVD player built in. That was the single deciding factor for most people. I have a feeling the Wii is going to kick all other consoles' collective arses, sales-wise.

true, but every wii sold is sold at a loss.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Games