Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - NWN2 and Japanese

NWN2 and Japanese

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

NWN2 and Japanese

Postby paul_b » Tue 11.14.2006 11:39 am

Yo! Anybody out there got NWN 2 ? (Neverwinter Nights 2)

I really want to know what the support is like for Japanese in NWN 2.

The original NWN had zero ability to display _or_ enter Japanese text unless you have the Japanese edition itself. The new version does seem like it makes some use of UTF-8 (unicode) so, in theory, you might expect foreign language support to be better.
paul_b

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby kanadajin » Wed 11.15.2006 10:53 pm

Yo! What the hell is NWN 2? A game?
kanadajin

Postby chikara » Wed 11.15.2006 11:09 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Yo! What the hell is NWN 2? A game?

Yes, a game.

Why bother posting? Why not try and Google "Neverwinter Nights"?
Last edited by chikara on Wed 11.15.2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Rounin T » Thu 11.16.2006 1:51 am

paul_b wrote:
Yo! Anybody out there got NWN 2 ? (Neverwinter Nights 2)

I really want to know what the support is like for Japanese in NWN 2.

The original NWN had zero ability to display _or_ enter Japanese text unless you have the Japanese edition itself. The new version does seem like it makes some use of UTF-8 (unicode) so, in theory, you might expect foreign language support to be better.

I have a coworker who owns the game, but it won't run on his current hardware. He's going to buy a new computer just for NWN2. Crazy RPG'ers.

When he gets his new machine, I'll let you know about language support. Are you interested in creating Japanese text in modules via the DM client? Or Japanese interaction and chatting inside of online modules in English? Or both?
Rounin T

Postby paul_b » Thu 11.16.2006 2:43 am

Rounin T wrote:
I have a coworker who owns the game, but it won't run on his current hardware. He's going to buy a new computer just for NWN2. Crazy RPG'ers.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

When he gets his new machine, I'll let you know about language support. Are you interested in creating Japanese text in modules via the DM client?

You mean Toolset. DM client is a rather different thing.
Or Japanese interaction and chatting inside of online modules in English? Or both?

Both. Incidentally there _is_ no Japanese version yet (and not much sign that there willl be one).

Since starting this thread I've found that somebody's made a third-party replacement font that allows Japanese text to be displayed so the following is probably true:

- All in-game text in Unicode (UTF-8)
- Japanese text (probably) not capable of display out of the box (but fixable).

I still don't know (and would like to) whether you can use the IME in game (e.g. for chat) but I'm not holding out much hope.
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 4:39 am

heh, I quit everquest 2 a few months ago because I realized My japanese studies, and other free time activities left me little time for EQ.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby paul_b » Thu 11.16.2006 8:10 am

Infidel wrote:
heh, I quit everquest 2 a few months ago because I realized My japanese studies, and other free time activities left me little time for EQ.

Now if you'd been playing EQ in Japanese ...
paul_b

Postby Rounin T » Thu 11.16.2006 12:10 pm

paul_b wrote:
Rounin T wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

As do I. But I'm also joined to Logic Pro at the hip, so my PC gaming is on hiatus until I can afford one of those Intel Macs. (And until I have more time on my hands.) My attitude toward NWN2 owners in particular is derived primarily from envy.

You mean Toolset. DM client is a rather different thing.

Sure. I'm not really sure what I mean. I played the original NWN but didn't get into the custom modules, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

the following is probably true:

I still don't know (and would like to) whether you can use the IME in game (e.g. for chat) but I'm not holding out much hope.

Sounds like a royal pain in the arse. You could just import. Ah, but then you'd have to wait... mwa ha ha.

paul_b wrote:

A friend of mine couldn't wait to play Final Fantasy XI when it first came out, so he imported. (Squeenix games come out in Japan first.) Knowing only elementary Japanese, he couldn't communicate with anyone, so he had me come over and type the Japanese for "Hey, can you put on your helmet so I can see it?" (返事:まあ、いいですけど。) and "Wow, that looks cool!" (返事:そうなんですか。) It was actually a lot of fun.
Rounin T

Postby paul_b » Thu 11.16.2006 1:27 pm

Rounin T wrote:
the following is probably true:

Sounds like a royal pain in the arse. You could just import. Ah, but then you'd have to wait... mwa ha ha.

I _wish_ I could import - there isn't a Japanese version yet and it's quite possible there won't be.
paul_b

Postby keatonatron » Thu 11.16.2006 2:07 pm

paul_b wrote:
I _wish_ I could import - there isn't a Japanese version yet and it's quite possible there won't be.

So.... tell us again why it's so important for you to chat in Japanese? If Japanese people don't even have the game....
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Thu 11.16.2006 2:13 pm

keatonatron wrote:
So.... tell us again why it's so important for you to chat in Japanese? If Japanese people don't even have the game....

What makes you think Japanese people don't have the game?
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 3:42 pm

paul_b wrote:
Infidel wrote:

when I can play Trickster in Japapanese without having my nose stuck in the dictionary and grammar books, It's a plan.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Rounin T » Thu 11.16.2006 11:33 pm

paul_b wrote:

Ever? I suppose that would be a little too much waiting. What kind of localizations are standard for PC games born in the US?
Rounin T

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.17.2006 12:49 am

paul_b wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

What makes you think Japanese people don't have the game?

The fact that it's only English :D It seems like the only people who would play it would be those who are good at English.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Fri 11.17.2006 1:06 am

nope.

Just for an example, Everquest is loaded with people that can't speak English well, not including all the chinese bots, there are a large number of Japanese players that were shunted to one of the English servers when the Japanese server was shut down.

I felt sorry for all the Japanese players that day. They were playing and having fun, then suddenly find themselves in a strange parallel world that looks the same, but doesn't make any sense, and English players tell them to learn English or go away.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Next

Return to Games