Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ps3

ps3

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

RE: ps3

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.16.2006 3:58 pm

Infidel wrote:

I went to wii.com the other day, it was great seeing people intuitively learn how to play with the controllers. My problem with nintendo has always been the game lineup, they always seem to shine everywhere else.

I guess it depends on what types of games you play.. nintendo has the games I like.. i bought the xbox at a discount for 5 games.. other than that and playing dvds, my xbox is worthless. i have played plenty of 360 games.. my friends own the consoles.. i am not impressed really..

as for the rest.. of course each of us will have a differing opinion on them.. you know..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Thu 11.16.2006 4:15 pm

Infidel wrote:
true, but every wii sold is sold at a loss.

I think game consoles are always sold at a loss, planning on making their profits on game sales.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby debu » Thu 11.16.2006 4:49 pm

I've owned just about every console system since the NES, and the PS3 is the first system I won't be getting at launch. $600 is just too steep, and I have no interest in buying a "Next Gen" DVD system when the format is still up in the air (and sony has a pretty bad track record at picking winning formats). I think there's a real good chance that sony won't be on top this time around, and that could mean the games I really want to play that have been playstation only might show up on 360. Anyway, I'll stick with my 360 and Wii until I see how successful the PS3 is. I almost hope things goes badly for sony so I don't have to plunk down $600 to play.
debu

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 5:42 pm

richvh wrote:
Infidel wrote:
true, but every wii sold is sold at a loss.

I think game consoles are always sold at a loss, planning on making their profits on game sales.

Actually, this time around, I think they plan on making their profits with subscriptions and game downloads.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby datdo » Thu 11.16.2006 9:11 pm

who the hell downloads games when you have the internet is what I don't understand. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Its part of the reason why I don't have xbox live. I use connect which is just as good for me and its free. Its actually better because I can play Halo 1 online while I can't do that on xbox live. The person on top may be the man who isn't dumb enough to force people to pay for free thing or things you already have ... *cough*internet browser*cough*

On that note: Do you have to pay to have a Xbox 360 live account or is it still doing that silver and gold account thing?
datdo

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 9:33 pm

Silver/Gold account thing...

Gates has been pushing for a subcription based model with everything for over a decade. Over a decade ago he told the press his goal was for people to not buy or download programs at all, but instead "rent" the use of them and turn everyone's PCs into a bunch of terminals with zero local storage capeability. It was for the customer's convenience of course.

I dunno, I'll probably end up buying the xbox tomarrow because there are too many games in their library I really want to play NOW! and I don't want to deal with PS3 first gen issues. I just dislike how everything is "extra" I need a wireless adapter, that's extra, I need a secondary controller, that's extra, I need a memory card, that's extra, I need a battery recharge pack, that's extra. Eventually I'll need a HD DVD player, that's extra too.

Nintendo is going to be the same way with the accounts and stuff. PS3 is the only one launching with no subscription model.

There are free online games available over the internet, but emulation can only go so far without glitches. Personally, I'm tired of having to upgrade my computer for every other Game I buy. That's why I'm converting to consoles. It costs less than a nearly complete computer upgrade, and lasts longer before another upgrade is necessary. And again, PC games are losing the gaming wars.

Sigh, yea, I'm gonna go cash this check burning a hole in my pocket and walk out with an xbox tomarrow. I really want Gears of war, morrowwind, and Dynasty warriors, and none of those games are going to be on nintendo. :(
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 11.16.2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby shinzou » Thu 11.16.2006 9:36 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Doesn't leave a trace? What? I don't know what you're talking about either :P

Not that I've ever cracked codes or hacked anything... but, what he means it, usually, you can easily see who put what where. It doesn't take much effort if you know your basic stuff.

-Jon
shinzou

Postby datdo » Thu 11.16.2006 10:14 pm

is that what I meant?...

@Infidel: that still didn't really answer my question...
datdo

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 10:21 pm

lesse,
On that note: Do you have to pay to have a Xbox 360 live account or is it still doing that silver and gold account thing?

I answered,

Silver/Gold account thing...
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby datdo » Thu 11.16.2006 10:33 pm

it wasn't a complete thought. All it said was "Silver/Gold account thing" It could have meant anything. But ur right. I'm wrong. wow....I been wrong more then ever this week...wait no...this is usual(ha beat you to the punchline)
datdo

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 10:43 pm

I see, I probably should have used only 1 period. The the extra were supposed to lead off to the next thought, but they just confused you, my bad.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby mamba » Thu 11.16.2006 11:39 pm

"On that note: Do you have to pay to have a Xbox 360 live account or is it still doing that silver and gold account thing?"

Silver is free, Gold is monthly payment. The difference is that with Gold, you can play Multiplayer. I have Silver, basically to just download demos and those arcade games. Too bad for Sony users, although their online thing is free, many of their demos (all?) will require a payment. Yep you have to pay for demos..
mamba

Postby Infidel » Thu 11.16.2006 11:45 pm

Yep you have to pay for demos..

Really? That's horrible. Paying for demos shoudn't even be legal.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.17.2006 10:25 am

it's xbox.. they charge you for everything.. remember xbox = microsoft = bill gates = old man that has become in the industry what he hated in the industry when he was a young man.. interesting how time does that to a person..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Rounin T » Fri 11.17.2006 11:57 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
it's xbox.. they charge you for everything.. remember xbox = microsoft = bill gates = old man that has become in the industry what he hated in the industry when he was a young man.. interesting how time does that to a person..

I thought mamba was saying PS3'ers would have to pay for demos.

I agree with Infidel; it's an absolute sin and a foolhardy marketing strategy.
Rounin T

PreviousNext

Return to Games