Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - NWN2 and Japanese

NWN2 and Japanese

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby paul_b » Fri 11.17.2006 3:49 am

Rounin T wrote:
Ever? I suppose that would be a little too much waiting. What kind of localizations are standard for PC games born in the US?

I don't think there is much in the way of standards on that subject (same the other way round too - just look what happened to the Final Fantasy series).

Dubbing is very rare though, usually they just get subtitles / text changed.
User avatar
paul_b
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu 06.01.2006 9:35 am

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.17.2006 8:52 am

Infidel wrote:
nope.

Just for an example, Everquest is loaded with people that can't speak English well, not including all the chinese bots, there are a large number of Japanese players that were shunted to one of the English servers when the Japanese server was shut down.


But Everquest doesn't seem to be as plot-driven as NWN is. I think if you didn't understand the language very well, it would be very hard to get much enjoyment out of a game like that. Action games and online games (where you can get by if you chat with other people ) are different. I don't think many people would buy it just for the online play, but... ?
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby paul_b » Fri 11.17.2006 9:13 am

keatonatron wrote:
But Everquest doesn't seem to be as plot-driven as NWN is. I think if you didn't understand the language very well, it would be very hard to get much enjoyment out of a game like that. Action games and online games (where you can get by if you chat with other people ) are different. I don't think many people would buy it just for the online play, but... ?

You're forgetting about the user-built modules. NWN 1 has a _vast_ base of user made modules which include a good number of those written in or translated to Japanese. NWN 2 (English) is already on sale in Japanese sites and I know (Japanese) people who have said they are buying it.
User avatar
paul_b
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu 06.01.2006 9:35 am

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby Rounin T » Fri 11.17.2006 12:11 pm

paul_b wrote:
Rounin T wrote:
Ever? I suppose that would be a little too much waiting. What kind of localizations are standard for PC games born in the US?

I don't think there is much in the way of standards on that subject (same the other way round too - just look what happened to the Final Fantasy series).

You're right. The North American port has usually been first priority, but sometimes there's no localization at all. If I remember right, Enix releases were almost exclusively Japan-only back in the SFC days.

I think those days are over, as far as Japanese games go. Without international versions, they'd never be able to sell the same game to the same person again (with a few extra bosses). I'm surprised that works anyway.
User avatar
Rounin T
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu 10.12.2006 5:32 pm

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.17.2006 12:17 pm

keatonatron wrote:


But Everquest doesn't seem to be as plot-driven as NWN is. I think if you didn't understand the language very well, it would be very hard to get much enjoyment out of a game like that. Action games and online games (where you can get by if you chat with other people ) are different. I don't think many people would buy it just for the online play, but... ?


you aren't giving much credit to those who do jsut buy it for the online content and interaction. being able to understand and communicate is not even a factor to many..

and enjoyment, that's like fashion. there is no way in hell anyone can base how someone will accept or enjoy a certain thing unless they are that person.

yep, odd as it is, it's part of the gaming community to do what isn't usually done..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: NWN2 and Japanese

Postby keatonatron » Fri 11.17.2006 12:21 pm

paul_b wrote:
You're forgetting about the user-built modules. NWN 1 has a _vast_ base of user made modules which include a good number of those written in or translated to Japanese. NWN 2 (English) is already on sale in Japanese sites and I know (Japanese) people who have said they are buying it.


I didn't forget about them--I never knew they existed. That's why I asked! I don't know any Japanese people that are into NWN...
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests