Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - In the Beginning

In the Beginning

The test - experiences, questions or comments

In the Beginning

Postby BBKT » Wed 01.26.2005 9:23 pm

It's wonderful to start a new language but there's something I wonder about Japanese. It's hard to find something to start with. How to learn Japanese?

First I believe you should learn Hirigana and (although not so much) Katakana. However, then you are a little stuck. Should you learn Kanji maybe? Vocabulary? Grammar and Sentence structure? Etc. In beginning such a language as Japanese I find it hard to look for where to go next. I'm in an exposed environment so I would like to understand as well as respond. However, to do that you need to know a little of all of the three listed above. My question is, where should I start? I know Hirigana and Katakana (not so much, but I can manage because I'm constantly being exposed to it). I know only a few level 4 Kanji and I've taken some of the grammar and vocabulary to heart. Where to begin now?
BBKT

RE: Kanji is good from the beginning

Postby clay » Wed 01.26.2005 10:27 pm

I really believe one key to learning Japanese is to hit kanji early on.

When I arrived in Japan, there were several others who came about the same time and had about the same level of Japanese as I. They mainly concentrated on learning conversational phrases and such and I worked more on kanji (while learning some useful phrases). After a few months, it seemed they were doing much better than I, but I didn't give up. After about a year I noticed their abilities were limited while I was doing much better.

Kanji is funny in that it contains meaning as well as a pronunciation. If you put two meanings together you can make a third meaning. Therefore you often can understand words you have never seen or heard just because you recognize the kanji from which it is made.

Conversation is very important, but I believe the key is with kanji. This is especially true with the JLPT.

Ganbatte kudasai :D
clay
Site Admin

RE: In the Beginning

Postby BBKT » Thu 01.27.2005 9:14 pm

thank you very much :)

Edit: Also, how would you suggest learning the kanji? right now I'm only learning the pronunciation that is in red, however should I learn all of the readings? I don't expect to speak too much japanese for right now but is it always good to know all of the readings (along with what they mean of course...)?
Last edited by BBKT on Thu 01.27.2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
狸 ! ! !

漢字はむずかしいです。
BBKT

Postby Spaztick » Fri 01.28.2005 1:45 pm

I suggest getting this book in the Japan Shop, it teaches you about 300 of the neccisary kanji and how to remember them easily (I learned the one on the cover just by reading it once!) It's 10 bucks and I'm betting it's worth your money (I plan on getting it soon).

BTW the kanji was "east" - higashi, or the "to" in tokyou. :D
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: In the beginning

Postby KekkeBaka » Fri 01.28.2005 9:28 pm

Hello everyone! I am a new member on this site, but have been interested in learning Japanese for a while now, as it is one of the most beautiful and interesting languages I have heard so far. I don't know if you find this a bit silly, but I would like to recommend watching Japanese Anime if you want to learn. I myself have found some very good use of it, and practically everything I have learned I owe to watching those series. You get a really good sense of how to pronounce different words and syllables, and you pick up daily expressions and chargons amazingly fast! This is actually how I was first introduced to the language, and have been urging to learn more ever since. I know some of these series can be quite sleasy at times, but after a while you learn which ones to avoid. Most of them are funny and entertaining, and some are just delightful pieces of art! Just a suggestion... ;)

Anyway, thank you, Clay, for this great site! I will join as often as I can.

Till Next Time
KekkeBaka.
KekkeBaka

Postby BBKT » Fri 01.28.2005 11:10 pm

I'll look into it Spak, and yes I agree that anime is a very good source of Japanese. I guess I should ask my friend to borrow some. I love anime ^^;.
狸 ! ! !

漢字はむずかしいです。
BBKT

Postby Yuubokumin » Sat 01.29.2005 12:18 am

I find that a mix of useful words and phrases and useful / everyday sort of kanji works best for me.
あなたはおいしいです。 私はあなたを食べたい。
Yuubokumin

RE: japan

Postby AdA YUi TSuKinO » Tue 02.01.2005 7:31 pm

I love anime!!! Japan is extremely beautiful...I can't wait to visit there again! :p
Sharme' Lenise Sciarra
AdA YUi TSuKinO

Postby Spaztick » Tue 02.01.2005 8:42 pm

Personally I would like manga better than anime, but I've had little of either. (Manga for it's less than tasteful themes in some, and anime for fear of becoming an anime nerd.)

Not that I'm condeming either, but bear in mind that Japan isn't just about anime and Puffy AmiYumi. :)

One way I am learning is to email some Japanese penpals. It's worked so far.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: Japan

Postby AdA YUi TSuKinO » Tue 02.01.2005 9:05 pm

I'm japanese, you should e-mail me :D
Sharme' Lenise Sciarra
AdA YUi TSuKinO

Postby GigaFX » Wed 02.02.2005 12:50 am

The best way to learn, I find, is to simply to make Japanese friends in real life. If you can't do this, penpals are an excellent alternative. Also, if you would like to practice your kanji I recommend downloading the Kanji Gold program. It is the best tool for memorizing Kanji using a computer.

I still find that making FLASHCARDS is the most effective way to memorizing Japanese. I started learning much faster and found it much easier to recall items and remember, constantly test yourself!

日本語勉強で頑張って! おれも一生懸命してるんですよ〜
GigaFX

RE: the beggining

Postby AdA YUi TSuKinO » Sat 02.05.2005 6:33 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhh nice Kanji!!! can you help me on that kanji downloading?:|
Sharme' Lenise Sciarra
AdA YUi TSuKinO

Postby Daisuke » Sat 02.05.2005 7:25 pm

You can download kanjigold at this site: http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/
Daisuke
Site Admin

RE: japan

Postby AdA YUi TSuKinO » Sat 02.05.2005 8:08 pm

Doomo arigatou gaziamuse Daisuke-san
Sharme' Lenise Sciarra
AdA YUi TSuKinO