Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Colemak keyboard layout

Colemak keyboard layout

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Colemak keyboard layout

Postby KNH » Wed 11.22.2006 12:12 pm

I hope the subject title is informative enough for you, Tanuki-san! ;)

I love finding and testing out different keyboard layouts, that happen to be better than QWERTY, and my latest victim is the Colemak layout.

Shai Coleman created the Colemak layout. Its latest release was 2006-01-01, and it's considered stable now.

Although I used Dvorak for about 10 months, I had issues with it. One of the main issues I had with it was the strain on my right pinky, which typed l, s, and z.

This is Colemak's official website. Please feel free to browse around. Also, be sure to check out the FAQ. There are a lot informative stuff there.

There also happens to be a Java applet that allows one to compare the layouts. Since I'm the one who's presenting the material, I've already taken the liberty to copy and paste some Wikipedia articles in it. You can view the results here.

So what do you think of the layout?
Last edited by KNH on Wed 11.22.2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

RE: Colemak keyboard layout

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.22.2006 12:24 pm

hmm, I learned qwerty and have used it for 25 years now.. i don't really see a need to change, but for those jsut learning this might be a nice way to learn. I think I would get lost in the new layout as my fingers have memorized the keyboard according to qwerty..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 11.22.2006 1:33 pm

It looks awesome! I practiced typing out a few sentences while looking at that layout, and it seemed very comfortable. Nice home row. I'll have to practice it later.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.22.2006 1:50 pm

if you look at the charts. you notice that alot more words can be achieved from base/home row by alot compared to qwerty.. too bad i never saw this 25 years ago.
two_heads_talking

Postby BetterSense » Wed 11.22.2006 2:33 pm

I'm using Dvorak and I don't really have any issues with it, except its rarity and occasional incompatibility, which I'm sure Colemak would suffer from at least as much. Just looking at that layout, I'm not interested; I don't like where the puntuation is at all. The thing that rocks about Dvorak is that it realizes you use punctuation just as much as regular keys. With the placement of the Q and W and , and ., this Colemak layout appears to make an effort to stay similar to Qwerty, which is a silly compromise if you are going to the trouble of using an nonstandard layout.
Last edited by BetterSense on Wed 11.22.2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby KNH » Wed 11.22.2006 3:35 pm

keatonatron wrote: It looks awesome! I practiced typing out a few sentences while looking at that layout, and it seemed very comfortable. Nice home row. I'll have to practice it later.

That's awesome!! I'm happy you feel that way.

two_heads_talking wrote: if you look at the charts. you notice that alot more words can be achieved from base/home row by alot compared to qwerty.. too bad i never saw this 25 years ago.

Indeed! You might be typing faster now!

BetterSense wrote ... this Colemak layout appears to make an effort to stay similar to Qwerty, which is a silly compromise if you are going to the trouble of using an nonstandard layout.

Yeah, that's the point, actually. It's to make the transition from QWERTY to Colemak smoother. If you're learning from Dvorak, like me, you're going to have a tougher time learning the layout. Plus, it actually uses the home row 70% of the time, which Dvorak does not.
Last edited by KNH on Wed 11.22.2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.22.2006 3:46 pm

Saiaku_Akuma wrote:

two_heads_talking wrote: if you look at the charts. you notice that alot more words can be achieved from base/home row by alot compared to qwerty.. too bad i never saw this 25 years ago.

Indeed! You might be typing faster now!.

if i worked at a job where typing speed was a factor it might be more motivation. I draw in CAD for a living and don't type much. except in all caps.
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.22.2006 4:05 pm

I do work at a job where typing speed is a factor. However, that only means anything but qwerty is pretty much useless. Our computers run on a special operating system designed specifically for the job. There's no way to change the key layout. That will be true of a lot of public computers too. Even if I learn another layout, it only helps me at home >=X. They probly do sell keyboards I could take to work, but that would requiring paying money >=P
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby BetterSense » Wed 11.22.2006 5:13 pm

Only being able to touch type Dvorak is going to roast me on the GREs. The bastards won't let you use anything but Qwerty. I tried to tell them it takes like 3 seconds to change it in windows, but NOOO.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby paul_b » Wed 11.22.2006 5:28 pm

BetterSense wrote:
Only being able to touch type Dvorak is going to roast me on the GREs. The bastards won't let you use anything but Qwerty. I tried to tell them it takes like 3 seconds to change it in windows, but NOOO.

Well learn to touch type in Qwerty. The Dvorak fans are always telling us Qwerty fuddy-duddies how easy it is to learn to use so the same must apply the other way around.
paul_b

Postby KNH » Wed 11.22.2006 10:28 pm

paul_b wrote: Well learn to touch type in Qwerty. The Dvorak fans are always telling us Qwerty fuddy-duddies how easy it is to learn to use so the same must apply the other way around.

Although it's not impossible to simultaneously learn Dvorak and QWERTY, it's not an optimal option. Some people are forced to switch keyboard layouts because of RSI, CTS, etc, and others, like me, prefer to start now and prevent said things from happening; thus, some us who switch do not wish to use QWERTY at all.

BetterSense wrote: Only being able to touch type Dvorak is going to roast me on the GREs. The bastards won't let you use anything but Qwerty. I tried to tell them it takes like 3 seconds to change it in windows, but NOOO.

I'm not too familiar with the GREs, as I do not plan on taking it, but what do you mean?
Last edited by KNH on Wed 11.22.2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

Postby BetterSense » Thu 11.23.2006 12:51 am

The GRE is a computer based standardized test for graduate school, and yes, it includes an essay section.
BetterSense

Postby Mr Hensha » Mon 11.27.2006 2:02 am

I love keyboards. If I could have a collection of keyboards, I would.... unfortunately I'm broke. I'm using Dvorak. I like it.
Last edited by Mr Hensha on Mon 11.27.2006 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
AAWEEEAA!! この世界は私達の世界〜SOHL
ミヤビです!
Mr Hensha

Return to General off topic